Jason Moran

Jad

He's coming to town soon and I'd like a chance to familiarize myself with some of his work, what to expect, etc. I don't know much about him, but too many people here rave about him for me to pass up a chance to see him. Thanks!

"Facing Left" - his 2nd BN release, might be a good place to start. It was his first trio-only disc, and featured some very mature playing and tunes.

Although, really, any of Moran's discs are well worth picking up. They're all fantastic in my book. "Black Stars" features the great Sam Rivers, if you like him - perhaps also a good place to start.

"Facing Left" - his 2nd BN release, might be a good place to start.  It was his first trio-only disc, and featured some very mature playing and tunes.

Although, really, any of Moran's discs are well worth picking up.  They're all fantastic in my book.  "Black Stars" features the great Sam Rivers, if you like him - perhaps also a good place to start.

Wow, Rooster. A post regarding Jason Moran without any exclamation points!

You OK to drive, man?

Damn! Went to three shops before I found Bandwagon. Along the way found used copies of Back at the Chicken Shack and Caramba, along with Neil Young's Greendale and On The Beach on sale. I can't even go near a record shop now for awhile!

The Moran disc sounds pretty good, but I'll have to give it a better listen to before I get more concise.