Bryan Ferry Praises Nazi Iconography...

brownie

From Reuters

BRYAN FERRY APOLOGIZES FOR NAZI REMARK

British singer Bryan Ferry apologized on Monday for remarks he made in an interview with a German newspaper in which he praised Nazi iconography as "just amazing" and "really beautiful."

The 61-year-old lead singer of Roxy Music told Germany's Welt Am Sonntag newspaper last month: "The way that the Nazis staged themselves and presented themselves, my Lord!

"I'm talking about the films of Leni Riefenstahl and the buildings of Albert Speer and the mass marches and the flags -- just fantastic. Really beautiful."

In a statement, Ferry said he was "deeply upset" about the negative publicity the interview triggered, and added:

"I apologize unreservedly for any offence caused by my comments on Nazi iconography, which were solely made from an art history perspective.

"I, like every right-minded individual, find the Nazi regime, and all it stood for, evil and abhorrent."

Jewish leaders in Britain, some of whom had condemned Ferry's comments and questioned whether he should be dropped by the Marks & Spencer retail chain that employs him as a model, welcomed Ferry's clarification.

"We do welcome the fact that he has issued a swift comment that there was no intention to condone the Nazi regime," said Jeremy Newmark, chief executive of the Jewish Leadership Council.

"Nevertheless, his choice of language was deeply insensitive," he added.

Lord Greville Janner, vice-president of the World Jewish Congress, told Reuters: "His apology was total, appropriate and absolutely necessary. I hope that he will never make the same mistake again."

Marks & Spencer sought to distance itself from the row.

"We do not make comment on the private lives of any individuals that we work with nor does our commercial relationship with them mean we endorse any views they may hold," the group said in a statement. It had no further comment.

Riefenstahl was Adolf Hitler's official film maker who was both admired and condemned for her documentaries that pioneered film techniques but glorified Nazism.

Speer was an architect who served under Hitler.

(With additional reporting by Erik Kirschbaum in Berlin)

Looks like he apologized only after he found this was causing unwanted publicity!

Edited by brownie

Well, jeez, I agree with him. The bastards were absolutely masterful in their presentation and design. The Nazis were absolute masters of PR and marketing. How does saying this in any way equal praising the evil they committed?

I think his comments may have gone further than simply an assessment of the Nazis' PR and marketing skills -- "beautiful" and "amazing" are not neutral words.

Guy

I don't know. Look at something as simple as the well-known German helmet of the time. Yes, it brings to mind the Nazis and their horror, but if you can divorce it's purpose and history from the object itself, it's a beautiful design. Kind of like the early Ford Mustangs in it's simplicity and appeal. I'll admit that hearing the word "beautiful" applied to icons of Nazi Germany is a bit jarring, but I can see it.

I don't give enough of a crap to google this, but I'm 99% sure Ferry has done something like this before. It was around the same time that David Bowie gave the nazi salute at a gig and Eric Clapton praised some bigot - quite a few years ago. I believe these incidents resulted in the formation of RAR (Rock against Racism) by Tom Robinson.

Bertrand.

Well, jeez, I agree with him. The bastards were absolutely masterful in their presentation and design. The Nazis were absolute masters of PR and marketing. How does saying this in any way equal praising the evil they committed?

I think his comments may have gone further than simply an assessment of the Nazis' PR and marketing skills -- "beautiful" and "amazing" are not neutral words.

Guy

Wow.....representatives of the requisite jewish groups jumping into action like sparrows mobbing a crow to grind a hapless singer's face into the dirt and -- no doubt -- busily preparing the next fundraising letter to show that they are remaining ever vigilant to protect society from the over effusive ramblings of artsy fartsy British singers. Yawn.

From the Daily Telegraph story on Bryan Ferry today...

The 61-year-old also reportedly revealed that he calls his west London studio his Fuhrerbunker, a title associated with Hitler's headquarters.

classy

Has Chuck licensed you to use precisely appropriate laconic remarks?

MG

no, but he's an influence. more posts, less comment.