The Beach Boys

Guy Berger

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to see this thread pop up again. I have been playing and singing Barbara Ann with my daughter over the past few days.

Around the time this thread originated, I was only beginning to check out much of this music. I am really taken by a lot of it. I listened to Sunflower/Surfs Up on Friday. Every time, I just wish I could take Student Demonstration Blues out of it.

You really can. Some incredible songs on this twofer. There is a HUGE sweet spot beginning somewhere around side 2 of Sunflower.

I really enjoy Pet Sounds. I'm never surprised by this bunch when it comes to negative criticism though. Nothing is sacred, and that's cool with me. I just seem to fall outside of secret society of The Ear Of The Behearer more often than not.

@ Matthew- love you could very well be my favorite #1 BB's lp. it is a fusion of retro style tunes with futuristic production, the album is amazing. i know i read an interview w/ Peter Buck (REM) who said too it was his fave. it flopped beacuse it was their last album for Reprise after the boys were already slated to go over to to cbs, so Reprise just said screw it since they were loosing the band anyway and stuff---so they did no promotion and a ton of them went straight to cutout. that also means its easy to find sealed copies of it even today, i have a couple

Edited by chewy

i always hated The Beach Boys' music. still do.

When you make a record as good as "Warmth of the Sun" or "Let Him Run Wild," I'll be first in line to buy it. Promise.

Haters always gonna hate.

Sun always gonna shine.

Until it stops, after which there ain't gonna be no haters...or anybody else.

Until then, there's always a choice.

just to be sure you're understanding my post ('cuz it seems like maybe you don't): i have nothing against any member of the band personally, and i know that they are a great band and have written some excellent music. i just really can't stand listening to them. i normally don't post in threads to mention my dislike of something. probably shoulda passed on by. sorry...

@ Matthew- love you could very well be my favorite #1 BB's lp. it is a fusion of retro style tunes with futuristic production, the album is amazing. i know i read an interview w/ Peter Buck (REM) who said too it was his fave. it flopped beacuse it was their last album for Reprise after the boys were already slated to go over to to cbs, so Reprise just said screw it since they were loosing the band anyway and stuff---so they did no promotion and a ton of them went straight to cutout. that also means its easy to find sealed copies of it even today, i have a couple

The last Brother/Reprise album was MIU Album, which really did get no push from the label. None. Which is ok because...it sucked.

Love You was the follow-up to 15 Big Ones, which was a big hit. There was a good amount of advance publicity for it, but the thing tanked because it was just too damn weird (for the time) and didn't have any ready made hits. It was like 15 Big Ones minus the oldies, and with even more "Brian-ness" getting all up in your face.

It could very well be my favorite, too.

Edited by JSngry

I often wonder why I have such conflicting emotions about the Beach Boys. They were ubiquitous as I grew up in San Diego in the 70s, and I knew the world they were signing about, and as someone who was outside of the "surfer" scene or ethos, I always had a love/hate relationship with them. The thing I always felt about Brian Wilson was that he wrote from the outside looking in. Yes, he wrote songs that celebrated that whole surfer mentality that was permeating San Diego that I lived in, but if was of a viewpoint of: "Yes, it's groovy and wonderful, and beautiful, but I'm not a part of it -- it's a mirage." It was a wish that Brian had, he saw it, was attracted to it, but was never a part of it. That whole surfer/beach culture in SoCal was a prison that a lot of my friends got sucked into, and never got out of; it was a culture that had a very nasty tone of "whose with us and whose against us." Even though I hated that culture, I never felt Brian Wilson was a part of it, I thought of him of wanting that idealized version of SoCal life, but realizing that he had too much Hawthorne in him, that soul draining, white middle class existence, that those of use who grew up in the culture know all too well. His music has such a longing to it, but also the realization, that if he attained what he longed for, it would destroy him. He fought his demons, and who knows, in running away from that danger, he fell in many more traps.

Who knows, maybe I'm just full of shit tonight.

Even though I hated that culture, I never felt Brian Wilson was a part of it, I thought of him of wanting that idealized version of SoCal life, but realizing that he had too much Hawthorne in him, that soul draining, white middle class existence, that those of use who grew up in the culture know all too well.

On the other hand, maybe Brian saw the soul that was there and put it on vivid display.

Everybody, and I do mean everybody I know who dislikes the Beach Boys does so for some variant on the same theme - that they're so/too...WHITE. And middle class.

I've been white and middle class pretty much my entire life. I've come to learn (finally) that there is nothing in being either that precludes soulfulness in any individual, nor is there anything in not being either that guarantees same.

Life is a game of avoiding (or not avoiding) all kinds of traps. Letting a person's class and ethnicity be a predictor of their soulfulness as human beings is one of the most prevalent (and least avoided). Looking for human soulfulness to be manifested in any one particular set or sets of overt behaviors and/or mannerisms is another.

Not everybody gets the same set of traps, but that's another point, not this one. Trapped is as trapped does, that's this point.

Funny thing is, some of the most soulful people I've known have also exhibited some the most soulless behavior imaginable. Go figure.

• 1 month later...
12 titles are going to be reissued in Japan on July 25th. Remastered in mono and true stereo, the first time for many regarding the latter. It's not known yet if or when these will be released in the US too. Also a note to the "Friends Is My Favorite Beach Boys Album Club" that it is not included in this batch. There may be another batch to come. Edited by Quincy

• 11 months later...

Release date August 26: Made In California (box set). The Beach Boys have opened their archives for a new career-spanning, six-CD collection titled Made In California, capping the legendary band's 50th Anniversary celebrations. Made In California features more than seven and a half hours of music, including more than 60 previously unreleased tracks. The deluxe set is presented in a high school annual-inspired hardbound book with personal recollections from the band's members, replicated classic artwork and memorabilia, photos from the band's archive, and handwritten yearbook-style inscriptions from Beach Boys Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks.

Made In California chronologically charts the 50-year career of America's Band, from their earliest demos to their most recent recordings. With huge hits and rare gems including never-before-released original songs, home demos, alternate takes and mixes, and live concert, television and radio performances, the set showcases the breadth and diversity of The Beach Boys' recorded catalog and illustrates the band's unique and evocative West Coast story. From 'Surfin' Safari' to 'God Only Knows,' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and 'Good Vibrations' to 'Kokomo,' The Beach Boys' canon boasts a masterful versatility that is unparalleled in American popular music.

Made In California's memorabilia includes Brian Wilson's 1959 high school essay titled 'My Philosophy,' which is reproduced in the collection's book in its original handwritten form (the original is currently on display in The GRAMMY Museum's yearlong Beach Boys exhibit celebrating the band's 50-year career).

Made In California's previously unreleased and long sought-after recordings include 'Goin' To The Beach,' 'California Feelin',' 'Soul Searchin',' 'You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling,' and 'You're Still A Mystery,' among others. The set also debuts 17 unreleased live recordings, including 'Runaway' (1965), 'Friends' and 'Little Bird' (1968), 'Wild Honey' (1972), 'It's About Time' (1973), 'Wonderful' and 'Vegetables' from The Beach Boys' legendary 1993 acoustic tour, and a 1995 rendition of 'Sail On, Sailor' featuring a soulful lead vocal by the late Carl Wilson. The greatly missed talents of Carl and Dennis Wilson are also celebrated with rare and previously unreleased recordings including Dennis' '(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again,' 'Barnyard Blues' and 'My Love Lives On,' Carl's lead vocals on 'Da Doo Ron Ron' and 'Soul Searchin',' and Carl's shared lead with Bruce and Brian on 'California Feelin'.'

The set also features a special 'From The Vaults' disc of rarities selected by the band and the producers with longtime Beach Boys fans in mind. Among the disc's highlights are a cappella mixes of standout vocal recordings for songs including 'This Whole World' and 'Slip On Through,' alternate versions of 'Don't Worry Baby' and other Beach Boys classics, session highlights and instrumental tracks, plus newly-discovered BBC Radio live recordings from 1964 of 'Wendy,' 'When I Grow Up (To Be A Man),' and 'Hushabye.'

91QhwNuzbOL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon UK

• 8 months later...

Am I crazy, or does "In My Room" owe a huge debt to A.A. Milne's "Solitude"?

There's a world where I can go and tell my secrets to
In my room, in my room
In this world I lock out all my worries and my fears
In my room, in my room

Do my dreaming and my scheming
Lie awake and pray
Do my crying and my sighing
Laugh at yesterday

Now it's dark and I'm alone
But I won't be afraid
In my room, in my room
In my room, in my room
In my room, in my room

Solitude

I have a house where I go

When there's too many people

Where no one can be;

Where nobady ever says "No"

Where nobody says anything -- so

There is no one but me

I was reading Milne, and it just struck me how similar these two are.

Edited by Matthew

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...