BIG SALE: Hear the greatest alto saxophonist of the

after Bird, that is - and it's not just my opinion:

Dizzy Gillespie: "Dave Schildkraut was the only saxophonist to capture the rhythmic essence of Bird."

Bill Evans: "There were only two saxophonists who came out of the bebop era who didn't copy Bird: Lee Konitz and Dave Schildkraut. Dave was incredible."

Jackie McLean: "Dave Schildkraut was one of my favorite people on and off the bandstand."

Stan Getz: "Dave Schildkraut was one of the greatest saxophonists I ever heard...how did you get my phone number?" (from an actual conversation)

hear Dave's last recording, "live" in 1978 with BIll Triglia, piano (of Mingus's Tijuana Moods; also worked with Lester Young, Sonny Rollins, Bird, many others), Jeff Fuller, bass (worked with Lou Donaldson for many years), and Frank Bennett, drums (Frank is now a studio drummer in California and can be heard on The Simpsons):

Dave Schildkraut: Last Date

for the month of April I will sell this one for $4 shipped, first class in a plastic sleeve - paypal only - paypal address is alowe@maine.rr.com

email me at that address. I have plenty of copies.

Edited by AllenLowe

it was a funny conversation - I was working on a magazine article about Schildkraut, and I had heard that Getz admired him; I got Getz's number out of the Union book and called him - and that's how the conversation went:

"Dave could play - how did you get my number?"

"He was great - how did you get my number?"

"oh, he was one of the best saxophonists I ever heard - how did you get my number?"

Edited by AllenLowe

it was a funny conversation - I was working on a magazine article about Schildkraut, and I had heard that Getz admired him; I got Getz's number out of the Union book and called him - and that's how the coiversation went:

"Dave could play - how did you get my number?"

"He was great - how did you get my number?"

"oh, he was one of the best saxophonists I ever heard - how did you get my number?"

and you always said "from the Union book" and he asked again and again?

yes, exactly - at that time the 802 book had a lot of phone nmbers of people who were otherwise impossible to find - I think, since than, they've stopped publishing a lot of the numbers. That was also how I got Dizzy's number in New Jersey. He did not ask me, however, how I got it, and was actually willing to talk once he found out I knew Dave and Al Haig -

yes, exactly - at that time the 802 book had a lot of phone nmbers of people who were otherwise impossible to find - I think, since than, they've stopped publishing a lot of the numbers. That was also how I got Dizzy's number in New Jersey. He did not ask me, however, how I got it, and was actually willing to talk once he found out I knew Dave and Al Haig -

:D day by day the picture of Stan Getz becomes more and more complete

well, if we're talking Getz, it's worse and worse - I remember BIll Evans's wife telling me about how, on tour, he always tried to pick up the other musicians's wives -

using the same worn-out trick again and again, i suppose; i love those stories of Getz and Chet Baker's European tour from Jeroen de Valks Chet Baker book...

thanks, Kevin - you won't regret it. It's a very interesting concert, and I'll tell an interesting story. It took me some time to convince Dave to do it; when he finally agreed, I went and picked up Curley Russell in NYC to come up to hear it,as they were old friends, so it was a bit of a homecoming. The concert was held in a music school in New Haven, Connecticut (where I was then living). At that time I knew a guy in town who was a bebop fanatic. He loved Bird and listened to 40s and 50s music constantly, but he did not know about Dave Schildkraut. I told him to come to the concert, and Dave, who was definitely a little rusty, still played superbly. After the concert I went up to this guy, and his jaw had literally dropped. He was flabbergasted, because, he told me, he never in his life thought he would be witness to music like this, basically a primary source of the bebop era. But it was more than that, and he told me he felt he'd been in the presence of a musician who was in the same league as Bird, and I think he was absolutely right -

it was quite interesting to talk to musicians about Dave in those days - I did a gig with Mel Lewis, who was not a guy who praised people easily - he heard Dave's name and went on and on about what a genius he was. Al Cohn responded similarly, as did Ralph Burns when I talked to him on the phone a few years before he died. Art Pepper said he never met Dave but that he felt Dave had more soul than any alto he ever heard.

Dave just walked away from it all; some was family issues and personal tragedy, some was just self-destructiveness; Norman Granz tried to take him on the road as a featured player and he said no; Dizzy kept calling him for record dates and Dave refused. He ended up in a clerical position with the City of New York, working the occasional Bar Mitzvah in Bensonhurst -

Edited by AllenLowe

BFT - Mingus after listening to Schildkraut on George Handy's "Crazy Lady":

"That could be Bird on alto..."

F

PS There's a story of Stan Getz being horribly late to a concert with Dizzy in Vitoria, Spain. Dizzy was fuming, apparently Getz was late because he had pulled somewhere in France (Hendaye or Bayonne)... he must have been in his mid-50s

1) Peter - probably, though I can't quite remember -

2) Mike - figure $6 airmail to Europe

3) yes, the Mingus quote is quite interesting - though Dave came very much from Bird, he developed his own unique rhythmic style - very eccentric, based at least in part, as he once told me, on anticipation of chord changes that had not yet occurred - and he had an amazing sound -

Triglia told me that Bird once told him something to the effect that Davey would have a tough time as a white guy playing jazz - basically that Dave was too much in-between the worlds of white and black players -

also, when Dave was playing a strip club on 52nd Street, Triglia was playing at Birdland with Lester Young and brought him over to hear Dave during the intermission - Prez immediately invited Dave to sit in with him at Birdland - Dave, of course, said no. Dave also had a note he showed me that was passed to him one night at a club; it was from Ben Webster, as I recall it said something like, "keep doing it," or something to that effect.

He was an amazing guy -