Keith Jarrett

sal

I see this is being reissued by Columbia today. Anyone heard this recording? Thoughts? Sounds interesting...one of his early recordings with Dewey, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian.

Fun album, not overly serious like some of his other stuff. "Common Mama" is one of his best performances. I'm not crazy about the two rock-oriented pieces w/Sam Brown.

Guy

Edited by Guy

I've always found it strange Sony US made this a 2 cd set while the Japanese MasterSound edition is on 1 (same number of tracks and timings).

Keith Jarrett had one of his hissy fits in the liner notes of the 2-CD reissue regarding the initial CD release, which was on one CD, dropped a track IIRC and had a different running order.

The first Jarrett I ever heard and ever owned. I had so little money back then as a college kid, and the Columbia 2 LP sets for the price of one were very attractive to me. Very well rounded set, you sort of get all the Keith Jarrett's in one on this. Definitely worth owning. From memory, the 2-CD reissue sounds great.

Maybe the US version dropped a track but the Japanese version didn't (SRCS-9358) so as usual his fits are dubious to say the least........

I have the single disc U.S. version (from 1991) and it runs over 77 min. - which was pretty long for the time. Since then they've been able to squeeze an extra minute or two onto a CD, so that might account for why it went from one CD (with a missing track) to a maxed-out single or double CD.

As for Jarrett's "fit" being "dubious," I can't really blame him - not when you see how people around here get all bent out of shape when OJC or Collectibles lops off a track in order to get everything to fit onto a single CD.

Dubious because the whole thing does fit on one cd. If the Japanese can do it surely the American CD plants can do it IMO.

My understanding was that Jarrett's rant was over the original U.S. CD, which changed the order and cut a track - which would make it a valid rant. I don't know why the latest CD is a double.

Dubious because the whole thing does fit on one cd. If the Japanese can do it surely the American CD plants can do it IMO.

OK, I'll start a potential firestorm here. If anyone owns the Grant Green/Sonny Clark Mosaic box (sold mine off many years ago when the 2CD set came out on Blue Note proper), do the math and you'll see that it all would have easily fit onto three CD's instead of being maxed out to four. I noticed the Jarrett being able to fit onto one disc back when I got it, but I guess Columbia wanted to pocket a little extra coin on it, and the set was so well done in the reissue and so inexpensive that I never really worried about it.