Tony Scott RIP

Durium

I discovered Tony Scott's music only recently — in 1999, the same year I discovered Buddy DeFranco. That year was a clarinet-heavy year, and a very good one. Scott's music enriched, and continues to enrich, my days.

I also really like his baritone saxophone playing.

I first became personally acquainted with Tony Scott on his famous and ground-breaking tour of South Africa in 1957, when I wrote an article about him for Metronome Magazine. He and I corresponded occasionally over all these fifty years! His death is a personal loss for me ... His likes will never be seen again, but he lived the grand life, and left his indelible mark on the history of jazz.

Here is a signed picture taken during that famous tour in 1957 ... Tony is at the mike, the pianist is Dave Stockton, and the bass player is my good friend, George Kussel ...

Edited by garthsj

A famous photo by Hugh Bell showing Tony Scott on clarinet in a Greenwich Village club in 1952 with Eddie Wasserman on tenor, Irv Kluger on drums, Jackie Paris on guitar and Eddie Bert on trombone.

hot-jazz.jpg

i remember so well when he played at the Dom (Polish nightclub most of the time) in the Village for an extended period in the 1960's.

RIP, Tony. Job very well done. Thank you.

Tony Scott was the first jazz musician I got really acquainted with. I met him when he traveled to Europe in 1957. He regaled listeners with stories about Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday and all those jazz greats he was friend with. I hope a book of his memories shows up soon...

Our friendship continued for years with meetings in New York and in Paris.

I was hoping to meet him again sometime in Italy.

The man was full of life! It showed in his superb musicianship!

Tony Scott was one of the few surviving musicians who played with Charlie Parker. Few of them are still with us!

I miss him!

Wow. I was just about to listen to this: 70c94f1b7b904adb92dd4833593457fa.jpg

I won a copy of that album about 35 years ago--a radio station promotion. "Blues for Charlie Parker" sends chills down my spine.

Tony was a fine musician.

I've owned the LP for about as long as you have. For my money, the uptempo swinging version of "My Funny Valentine" is the real keeper. Never heard that chestnut played that way before.

Edited by MartyJazz