HANK JONES AND ABBEY LINCOLN IN THE HOSPITAL

PHILLYQ

as usual, clueless writers - she "married Roach and later starred in films" - as far as I know her film career came first -

here is the quote "She came to New York in her 20s and sang at the Village Vanguard, later marrying jazz and bebop composer Max Roach (they divorced in the 1960s) and starring in several films."

maybe a little misleading but actually it only says that both, Roach and Films, happened after New York and Village Vanguard.

(though admittedly the writers do sound clueless, "jazz and bebop composer Max Roach"...)

whishing them all the best

hmmm...

well, let me change that (I could delete my other post but I'm too classy a guy for that). As far as I know her acting career was of equal importance at one point, until she became convinced that Hollywood only wanted her for pretty girl rolls. Nothing But a Man was the exception, but For Love of Ivy was wallpaper. Problem with the article is that they clearly have no sense of her career -

This is small dialogue and argues I had just about two hours ago:

Me: "I like Hank Jones' playing very much"

My friend: "I found him boring... met him at (some jazz) Festival (abroad), last year..."

Me: "He is in the hospital, you know, struggling for life... not so well"

My friend: "I found him boring, anyway"

Me: "You're an idiot, anyway" :angry:

Edited by mmilovan

actually, she appeared in the film The Girl Can't Help it in 1956 - married Max in 1962 - so it turns out I'm right after all -

thanks for the info. i sure didn't know about that early one. did she actually have a speaking role?

i am really saddened by abbey's health situation but have seen it coming for a very long time. i hung with her and max a little bit in the '60s and with her to a small degree in the '70s and more recently. it's been a fairly steady decline, i'm afraid. no one was more gorgeous or passionate than ms. abbey. and her singing was really a small part of her talents. lots of writing/poems and painting is what i remember from the '70s. my prayers are definitely with her.