Janice Friedman - Swingin' for the Ride

GA Russell

Janice Friedman is a pianist who has been a member of the Rutgers faculty since 1993. She is not young. She was born in 1960. Swingin' for the Ride is her third album, but her first as a vocalist. This is a self-produced album available at CDBaby and her website www.janicefriedman.com starting today.

Knowing that, I didn't expect much when I put the disc in the player for the first time. There are twelve songs, totalling 49 minutes. Seven of the songs are standards and five were written by Friedman.

This is a Diana Krall/Dena DeRose type album. But what a surprise! She can sing. Her alto voice has more body than Julie London's, but she has the same effortless approach to the songs that London had.

Her piano playing is good, with brief interesting solos.

And for the biggest surprise of all, her compositions are worthy of becoming standards.

The music does not challenge the listener, but is not watered down either. Bassist Sean Conly supports well and is given a few brief solos. Drummer Diego Voglino is very competent for the style of music. On several tracks percussionist Daniel Sadownick adds color.

If this were released by a major label with proper promotion, it would sell plenty. This is the best new album I've heard in months.

4 1/2 stars

• 8 months later...