Pee We Russell in England

medjuck

I got an e-mail from CDUniverse announcing this up=coming cd. It's apparently Pee Wee with a big band. Anyone hear this in earlier incarnations? And if so, how is it?

If it's "Pee Wee Russell in England" (Jazzology JCD-355), it's not a big band. It's Pee Wee guesting with the Johnny Armatage Band at the Manchester Sports Guild on October 17, 1964. It's been out for a while (I got it a few months ago). It was my first new Pee Wee hit in a few years.

The band is: John Armatage(d, ldr), Ray Crane (t), Pete Strange (tb), Cyril Keepher (ts), Archie Semple (cl), Collin Bates (p), and Dave Green (b). Sandy Brown also sits in on clarinet on one selection (all three clarinetists solo on that one) that's listed as "Untitled Blues" but which is the tune "Midnight Blue" that Pee Wee recorded earlier on Swingville.

The music is fine. The notes are less than helpful, indicating that Semple takes the first clarinet solo on those titles on which there are two solos. My listening led me to other conclusions in some cases.

I have a different Pee Wee Russell CD recorded in England.

"Pee Wee Russell with Alex Welsh & His Band" on Lake 157.

Peter: There's still another one of Pee Wee with Alex Welsh: "Pee Wee Russell with The Alex Welsh Band" on Jazzology JCD-322.

Yep, that's one I have. A very nice one!

If it's "Pee Wee Russell in England" (Jazzology JCD-355), it's not a big band. It's Pee Wee guesting with the Johnny Armatage Band at the Manchester Sports Guild on October 17, 1964. It's been out for a while (I got it a few months ago). It was my first new Pee Wee hit in a few years.

The band is: John Armatage(d, ldr), Ray Crane (t), Pete Strange (tb), Cyril Keepher (ts), Archie Semple (cl), Collin Bates (p), and Dave Green (b). Sandy Brown also sits in on clarinet on one selection (all three clarinetists solo on that one) that's listed as "Untitled Blues" but which is the tune "Midnight Blue" that Pee Wee recorded earlier on Swingville.

The music is fine. The notes are less than helpful, indicating that Semple takes the first clarinet solo on those titles on which there are two solos. My listening led me to other conclusions in some cases.

Here's the cover:

976514.jpg

• 7 months later...