Jazz Nerd Fantasies

Late

some of the many club recordings Bill Triglia made (Allen Lowe or maybe someone else mentioned those), i am sure there is some nice Bill Trglia / Tony Fruscella / Dave Schildkraut / Don Joseph in there

and maybe someone made live recordings of the Phil Sunkel - Bob Zieff band mentioned in Jack Chambers piece on Bob Zieff (available here http://langtech.dickinson.edu/Sirena/Issue2/Chambers.pdf)

(a related reissue would be Dick Wetmore's Bethlehem album which contains essentially the same Zieff compositions as Chet Baker's Paris Zieff album) or maybe a reissue of Lenny McBrowne's albums with Don Sleet on Pacific Jazz and Riverside

and the unissued recordings of Don Sleet and Teddy Edwards playing Ornette Coleman that were discussed here earlier

There are often two imaginative leaps required in an exercise such as this since some of the fantasizing also involves imagining that unheard material is worthy of issue . My roster is too extensive to list in full ( I have a very active imagination ) , but these few would find a place in any such reckoning :

--Oscar Dennard Trio on Henson

--Alonso Levister on Debut

--John LaPorta on Debut

--Voice of America Newport Festival broadcasts

--1957 Mary-Lou Williams Roulette

--Complete Herbie Nichols Bethlehem ( including the six tracks previously thought lost )

--Complete Stan Getz Sweet Rain ( with the three unissued tracks )

--Complete Bill Russo

--Complete Herb Pomeroy

Edited by Chas

A lot of live recordings of Count Basie's band when it still included Claude "Fiddler" Williams.

Is there a lot? I only have one broadcast (late 1936 or early 1937 - terrible sound but magic music...)

A series of releases documenting the many gaps in Ornette Coleman's discography.

I thought Revenant was actually trying to do this, but I haven't heard anything new for some time ...

I remember reading (but not where) that the reason for these gaps was Ornette's dislike for those albums (assuming you're talking of "Crisis" and other albums from those years).

Another nerd's dream, promped by mention of Oscar Dennard: there's that Lionel Hampton All Stars date with Dennard, Lucky Thompson, Ray Copeland, Oscar Pettiford... released on various albums never in its entirety - we discussed it before, mikeweil knows (and posted back in that other thread, I'm sure) all the details. Would be great to have all of it, unedited, on one set!

Another nerd's dream, promped by mention of Oscar Dennard: there's that Lionel Hampton All Stars date with Dennard, Lucky Thompson, Ray Copeland, Oscar Pettiford... released on various albums never in its entirety - we discussed it before, mikeweil knows (and posted back in that other thread, I'm sure) all the details. Would be great to have all of it, unedited, on one set!

In total agreement about that Hampton All Stars date which has yet to see a complete reissue.

Mentioned this a long time ago on one of our Mosaic wish lists thread!

Reverend Robert Wilkins' Piedmont LP is very deserving of reissue. It's a great record - perhaps the best recording made of the blues musicians who were rediscovered/rerecorded in the 1960's. (Though Rev. Wilkins was only recording religious music by that time, he falls into that general category.) I try to use the term "great" sparingly, but, to me, the word applies to this recording.

I remember reading (but not where) that the reason for these gaps was Ornette's dislike for those albums (assuming you're talking of "Crisis" and other albums from those years).

No, I already have Crisis on LP, though I would like to have it on CD. I meant the many gaps in his discography where no recordings have been issued.

Another wish would be a systematic, quality reissue program for the Argo catalog.

Ah, I see... still, a Select or whatever little box of the Impulse material plus some other fitting rare stuff (Who's Crazy? for instance) would be nice!

edited to try and get the feghed up quotes right...

Edited by king ubu

Roland Kirk Atlantics/Warner. The Collectables reissues are generally a bit wanting.

Fletcher Henderson - Decca/Columbia/Victor - the whole lot. Will contain some duplicates with the Mosaic Chu Berry but never mind.

Further improved transfers of the complete recordings of King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band! :excited:;)

The Complete Verve Recordings of Grant Green as Leader and Sideman

Actually, a complete Verve Hodges/Wild Bill Davis would be a great Mosaic!

MG

Throw in the RCA stuff and you got a deal.

Yes, I thought there were only 6 Verves, which could make a Select. But there are 7, and I see there's quite a few unissued tracks. So adding in the RCAs, which I LURVE, makes sense for a biggish Mosaic box.

(Though actually, isn't Atlantic City the acme?)

MG