Jazz Nerd Fantasies

Late

I don't mean Jazz Nerd Fantasies to the affect of having delivered to your door the latest batch of RVGs by a team of Baywatch babes (though I suppose that would be, at the very least, interesting), I mean:

If you were the Emperor of Jazz Issues or Reissues, what would happen?

One example: A mini-LP of Ornette Coleman's New York is Now, with all the original artwork intact, and remastered by Malcolm Addey.

This world is too serious sometimes. Time to have some goofy fun! Don't deny you haven't had certain Jazz Nerd Fantasies! (Even you, Chuck.)

Of course, a lavish, but severely under-priced, box of the complete Freddie McCoy Prestige recordings (with alternative takes and unreleased tracks, if any).

The unreleased Grant Green Blue Note sessions.

The unreleased Tommy Dean Vee-Jay session from 1956, which was Grant Green's first recording.

Actually, a complete Tommy Dean set would be more than nice.

Complete Sonny Lester recordings of:

Jimmy McGriff

Groove Holmes

Dakota Staton

O'Donel Levy

Joe Thomas

And we're still waiting for a Les McCann Mosaic box!

Complete Bembeya Jazz National Syliphone recordings

Complete Bembeya Jazz National Esperance recordings

Complete Balla et ses Balladins Syliphone recordings

Complete Keletigui et ses Tambourins Syliphone recordings

Complete Fallou Dieng et le DLC vols 1-11 plus Diapason

Complete Youssou N'dour Saprom recordings

George Braith - Musart

George Braith - Double your pleasure

That'll do for now.

Next year....

MG

I'd like to see a collection of the radio broadcasts and television appearances of the Clarke Boland Big Band (and smaller ensembles)!

I hope to see the next twelve volumes of D. E. T. S.!

I want that damned "A Drum is a Woman" expanded reissue we deserve!

I'd like to see a jazz Grammy to Allen Lowe for his excellent box sets!

Max Roach Live in Tokyo

Max Roach Horo

or even

Complete recordings of Max Roach with Billy Harper

Sun Ra Horos

Anthony Braxton Aristas - packaged so I can avoid Music for Umpteen Orchestras

Jack Wilson on Discovery

Ted Curson - The Trio

from the pop side

Garland Jeffreys - Ghost Writer

Spirit - Spirit of '76

A good Nolan Porter anthology. I haven't heard but am tired of reading aboiut.

and bring back that Jimmy Webb Rhino set sometime when I have a few spare bucks!

I think that a "Blue Note Club" (no, not the Street Team) like the one that actually exists in Japan might be a good idea for the American and/or European markets. Save your obis, and then redeem them for CDs that aren't put out on the regular market. (Um, this way obis might actually have a real-life purpose.) As a result, more obscure albums could find a way into fans' collections — where they should be, instead of languishing in tape vaults owned by mega-corporations who aren't even really aware of them .

The Japanese market did this for Sam Rivers' Dimensions & Extensions, among others.

----------------

Another "jazz nerd" fantasy: Give couw unlimited power to reissue the Amiga label as he sees fit. I'd buy the series!

I'd like to see a collection of the radio broadcasts and television appearances of the Clarke Boland Big Band (and smaller ensembles)!

I hope to see the next twelve volumes of D. E. T. S.!

I want that damned "A Drum is a Woman" expanded reissue we deserve!

I'd like to see a jazz Grammy to Allen Lowe for his excellent box sets!

All these and an expanded "Ellington Indigoes." I'd add the Mosaic Ellington big band set of the stuff owned by Sony but that seems to be on the horizon. (Though the horizon for cd releases often reflects the real horizon: you can never reach it. )

Edited by medjuck

I'm still hoping Mosaic will do Complete Milt Jackson with Lucky Thompson Sessions, Complete Lee Konitz Verve Sessions and Complete Jimmy Giuffre Verve Sessions sets.

A Complete Count Basie Columbia Sessions set with his late 1930s/early 1940s recordings would also be nice.

Yes to all of these propositions!

And one more: a nicely done set collecting all of the Tadd Dameron airchecks! (with Fats Navarro but also the ones by later bands with Allen Eager, Kai Winding & the "Big Ten")