Unknown(?) Benny Carter

mmilovan

While doing some digitization work on one particular 78rpm record collection, I came across this title, uploaded here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/21366578/Tiger...Carter.mp3.html

It is Yugoslavian issue, by local record company, and record label, cut and acoustic qualities can put this record around 1935-40 period.

It is only written “Benny Carter and his Orchestra”, and “Tiger Rag” as title of the composition.

My question is:

What it is? Is it Benny Carter with some European band?

That walking bass line and bright trumpet solo reminds me of early Grapelly/Reinhardt sides with various sidemen...

Can you help me identifying it?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Opposite side is some British band with "Alexanders Ragtime Band" tune recorded...

Edited by mmilovan

I haven't listened to the file, but from your description it's probably:

Benny Carter and His Swing Quartet, as recorded in London on June 20, 1936.

Benny Carter (ts, t), Gene Rodgers (p), Bernard Addison (g), Wally Morris (b), George Elrick (d).

Carter solos for 96 bars on tenor sax and for 16 bars on trumpet. It was originally issued on Vocalion with "Waltzing the Blues" on the other side.

What are the label and number? Are there matrix numbers in the wax?

I haven't listened to the file, but from your description it's probably:

Benny Carter and His Swing Quartet, as recorded in London on June 20, 1936.

Benny Carter (ts, t), Gene Rodgers (p), Bernard Addison (g), Wally Morris (b), George Elrick (d).

Carter solos for 96 bars on tenor sax and for 16 bars on trumpet. It was originally issued on Vocalion with "Waltzing the Blues" on the other side.

What are the label and number? Are there matrix numbers in the wax?

Your description fits perfectly! And it is perfect music, may I say?

When I first heard it, Carter sounded a bit strange. You know it was not alto sax as I expected, but lightweight tenor tone, and fast, melodic flow... and all of his characteristic lines were there... very nice.

Now, it's totally clear that he solos on tenor saxophone.

Unfortunately, it is "local" issue, licensed or stolen (piracy was not unusual thing back in these days), on Elektroton label (after the WWII it was Jugoton label, now it is Croatia records) - it's not original Vocalion record.

Anyway thanks a lot!

Edited by mmilovan