Lester Young, LOC acetate recording - full story

mmilovan

Just found official link:

http://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0605/young.html

Some of most interesting parts:

"DeAnna said no one has come forward yet to release and market the Lester Young recording, but the Library will make a digital master to preserve the sounds from the fragile lacquer discs." :bad:

"The electronic transcription technology that Chalfin used to make field recordings in the 1940s was the most advanced at that time. Amplifying sound to literally "cut" grooves in lacquer-covered discs was the next step up from acoustical recordings made with wax discs." :crazy:

"The next step is to make a digital master directly from the lacquer discs. However, noise and vibrations from recent construction projects at the Library's Madison Building have made it nearly impossible to record analog discs at preservation quality, so this digital-preservation project may have to wait until a state-of-the-art digital preservation laboratory opens at the National Audio-Visual Conservation Center in Culpeper, Va., sometime next year." :wacko:

"DeAnna said no one has come forward yet to release and market the Lester Young recording, but the Library will make a digital master to preserve the sounds from the fragile lacquer discs." :bad:

Within weeks of a "paid" issue an EU "public domain" version would be on the market. How much would you pay to clear the legal hurdles, perform the research and place it in the marketplace? $10-20,000? Be my guest. :cool:

"The next step is to make a digital master directly from the lacquer discs. However, noise and vibrations from recent construction projects at the Library's Madison Building have made it nearly impossible to record analog discs at preservation quality, so this digital-preservation project may have to wait until a state-of-the-art digital preservation laboratory opens at the National Audio-Visual Conservation Center in Culpeper, Va., sometime next year." :wacko:

:rolleyes::tdown

Within weeks of a "paid" issue an EU "public domain" version would be on the market. How much would you pay to clear the legal hurdles, perform the research and place it in the marketplace? $10-20,000? Be my guest. :cool:

Well, of course... we can only hope there will be more interest (and enough money) in getting this 30 minute session to today listeners... judging from what I've heard (few minutes except) it is Lester at his peak.

What??? Does this mean to say that it is not possible to take the lacquer discs to some other building for making the digital masters? Or no state-of-the art digital preservation laboratory yet exists anywhere?

so 10 or 20 k is all u need to pay in order to hear this rare prez record? thats less than a godamn SUV for crying out loud- someone can pony that dough up for PREZ of all people---

but now u guys didnt list the exact discographical info for the claimed sessions? is the session info avaiable at this time?

ment to put this here--

ok i read the article, and have some questions:

WHY IS THE LIB. OF CONGRESS SO DISORGANIZED? why do we always hear about people finding, discovering stuff in the l.o.c. archives-- is every item not on a catelogue or file? they just found this 16 in transcription disc just lyin in a shitpile like at ones favorite antique or record thrift store?

but now u guys didnt list the exact discographical info for the claimed sessions? is the session info avaiable at this time?

Unknown location (probably club date, maybe Village Vanguard), Dec. 29., 1940.

Lester Young (tp), Lester "Shad" Collins (tp), J. C. Higginbottom (tb), Sammy Price (p), Harold "Doc" West (dm).

Listen here (well it's not "state-of-the-art digital preservation", for that one we'll have to wait - anyway, one can hear clarity of the original acetate source, despite bass drum recorded loudly unbalanced) :

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...ft=1&f=1039

Edited by mmilovan

anyway, one can hear clarity of the original acetate source, despite bass drum recorded loudly unbalanced)

I don't hear the bass drum as too loud - we're used to unnaturally soft bass drums from studio recordings beacuse audio technicians were afraid the cutting stylus would jump out of the groove, and producers didn't like it. Drums are recorded at too low a volume on most recordings.

anyway, one can hear clarity of the original acetate source, despite bass drum recorded loudly unbalanced)

I don't hear the bass drum as too loud - we're used to unnaturally soft bass drums from studio recordings beacuse audio technicians were afraid the cutting stylus would jump out of the groove, and producers didn't like it. Drums are recorded at too low a volume on most recordings.

This is quite interesting point, I never thought in such way... :tup Anyway it's good to hear Doc West, almost forgotten swing-to-bop or pioneer of bebop drumming in such setting.

Another interesting thing I have to check in LY discography/biography (I'm writing these lines by heart): Shad Collins and Doc West were members of first Lester Young band (1941). Also, Young recorded one extremly rare session with Sammy Price around time when these acetate recordings were made. That studio session took place somewhere outside NY - so location of this club date can be outside NY, too, right?

One thing more: listening to sound clip mentioned above, any jazz fan must admit Young is simply great on these takes, he is constantly involved in process of throwing unusuall, eccentric lines, dissonant intervals and rhytmic patterns, while, at the same time, his confident melodic lines are at theirs most intense volume...

Edited by mmilovan

Didn't this happen to the Monk-Coltrane recording anyway? They certainly knew it couldn't be a long-term seller because if it hasn't been issued by the "PD" companies, it will be by next year. I have to guess that the simple fact is that Coltrane and Monk are names that make it worthwhile, but Pres isn't.

Yes, apparently there were no reservations about putting out the Monk/Trane because of the name recognition. Also, the fact that the two primary estates involved were more than happy to get this out helped a lot.

There's tons of other tapes of interest in their archives, much of them still uncatalogued (more due to short-staffing than anything else).

There are two Newport Blakey tapes: 1959 with Mobley and Morgan, and 1961 with Wayne and KD. I floated the idea around of making a CD of these two sets (total time about 50 minutes) but no one seems to have followed through yet. This is the only known recording of Wayne and KD. And I believe the intro to 'Night In Tunisia' from 1959 is by Mobley - not too many examples of his voice on record that I know of (the person refers to 'our fearless leader', and I don't think it's Lee's voice).

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I do see the point about the euro labels making it difficult for such projects to see the light, but this is your feghing cultural heritage! There needs to be some way... on the other hand, if even the people in charge of stocking up local stores are totally clueless about this issue, I don't really see a solution.

The Bird/Diz Town Hall thing is a case in point, in local stores... at the moment, the one I go to most frequently has both the Uptown version, as well as two cheapo euroversions, one of them with liners describing the sensational finding... ha ha. And then they don't have no releases at all by important artists, yet they carry multiple euroversions of this...

can somebody PLEASE explain to me what the hell the library of congress is? how come items are being "discovered" there? is it like a giant thrift store with all the records disorganized and uncatagorized and stuff? how do you make an l.o.c discovery?

and why does the governement have the art blakey 59 tape anyway, was it for some government sponsored broadcast. i had thought it was just a private tape recorded at the fest and traded among elitist bearded jazz fans---until this is released it is my #1 beef with the US gov't.

so can anyone just go and listen to it, or do you need some sort of governemnt library card/resarch licence??

John, many thanks for your wishes. I'm in hope things will be better from now on.

Speaking of LOC, there are few more examples of Lester Young that remained unissued buried under the vaults... I'm almost certain that, while doing some exhaustive search, I found 1949 session with Lester Young interview - located and preserved in LOC.

Doing the same search right now, it's impossible to find same data.

But, I saved that particular page, and if you are interested, I can try to find it in my archive and copy to this forum.

M.

P.S. We will never know what Boris Rose left unissued regarding our subject. According to brief look at Pres discography, so many examples of live broadcast material remained unknown and unissued.

Pitty - for such musican...

Edited by mmilovan