Ellington box: The Duke - The Columbia Years 1927-1962; opinions?

The Sony Ellington box The Duke: The Columbia Years 1927-1962 has undoubtedly been discussed here before, but various searches didn't turn up anything...

How's the box, a hodgepodge or a carefully selected compilation, and how's the sound, any use of noise reduction or any other mastering artefacts?

My set was shipped yesterday ... and was delivered today :)

Starting to listen to it and am more than happy with the sound on the early sides.

Have not had time to compare but they sound much better than the French CBS vinyl twofers that I tried to quench my ducal 30s thirst with until now!

I also posted this thread on another forum, and this is the first reply:

"IIRC, there are two versions. I own the latest one, which claims to be 'remastered'. I dont know if both versions sound the same. If you are familar with the Sony Legacy editions of Duke's albums ('Blues in Orbit', "Masterpieces', etc). that's the sound what you are getting here. Except for the first tracks on disc one. Those are a disgrace. Horrible sound smothered in noise reduction. I dont think Sony bothered to remaster those for this box, they just took whatever was on those awful sounding late 80's /early 90's transfers and pasted them in the box."

Any comments, especially regarding the noise reduction?

Hans, I am pretty sure noise reduction has been applied.

I was not expecting miracles and am just enjoying the music. I have heard various versions of these sessions and they all sounded pretty bad. The pre-WWII Columbia recordings have always been a problem (the glorious Count Basie sides are about the same!).

Will report later when I have heard more from the set.

Hans, I am pretty sure noise reduction has been applied.

I was not expecting miracles and am just enjoying the music. I have heard various versions of these sessions and they all sounded pretty bad. The pre-WWII Columbia recordings have always been a problem (the glorious Count Basie sides are about the same!).

Will report later when I have heard more from the set.

Thanks for your comments, Guy. How do they compare to the same 1920s tracks on the Masters of Jazz CDs?

I bought this a few years ago mostly for the pre war stuff which was hard to find in decent sound. I think the remastering is good. The usual names for Legacy (Mark Wilder, Ken Robertson etc) are credited for the remastering. I think they were also involved in the Hot Fives reissue, if you have that it might give you a good idea of what to expect. I'm pretty sure there's some noise reduction, but I don't mind that ( I actually prefer it as long as the high ends haven't been compressed too badly).

The booklet that comes with this box is pretty good, btw, a nice essay by Robert O'Meally and some good pics.

Oops, me bad.

My earlier posts in this thread were about the Mosaic 1936-1940. Read this too fast. This being the Mosaic forum, I assumed it was about the Small Group set :( I

Don't have that Sony 1927-1962 box!

I have that Mosaic, it's a great set :tup

Pity you can't comment on the 1927-1962 Sony set.