JAZZ: garner/gray/kessell/wiggins (CROWN CST 420)

THE GRIND PART 1

THE GRIND PART 2 (sounds studio, but im not sure)

ACROSS TOWN (sounds live)

---

O'Oclock jump (takes up like 90% of side two, live)

and then the garner piece is i believe the last one, a solo piano piece, short- its called LITTLE GIRL

is the exact concert date/location/personel known for this? i know its west coast jazz but i need to know more!

'One O'Clock Jump' if from an April 29, 1947 concert at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium.

Line-up is Howard McGhee, Vic Dickenson, Benny Carter, Wardell Gray, Erroll Garner, Irving Ashby, Red Callender and Jackie Mills

The Garner 'Little Girl' (also known as 'Lavande') is from another Pasadena Civic Auditorium concert. Summer of 1949 this time. John Simmons is on bass and Chuck Thompson on drums.

Not sure about the rest.

do u have any crown records in france?

The Crown LPs had little distribution over here. Can't remember seeing but very few of their jazz albums.

For some reason, their blues albums were more visible. Bought a bunch of their B.B. King and John Lee Hooker in their time.

Cheaply made and cheaply sold! They went out of sight very quickly.

do u have any crown records in france?

The Crown LPs had little distribution over here. Can't remember seeing but very few of their jazz albums.

For some reason, their blues albums were more visible. Bought a bunch of their B.B. King and John Lee Hooker in their time.

Cheaply made and cheaply sold! They went out of sight very quickly.

Weren't these Crowns mainly for sale in US gas stations, Woolworths etc?

ps- im very suprsied youve even SEEN a crown lp in france brownie--- certainly there was no offical distrib. for them over there--

Doubt there was an official distributor but those Crowns made their way over here.

Even got the two Coleman Hawkins albums they released, the ones with Thad Jones and Eddie Costa!

Did you pick these when you visited the police stations (not to speak of the whorehouses)?

:g

... but those Crowns made their way over here.

Maybe somebody sneaked them out of the P.X. and off the huge U.S. base that used to be at Chateauroux or some other U.S. base? ;)

I guess that's why I was able to find the occasional Crown LP over here at fleamarkets WELL before the internet came along (i.e. because at some time in the past somehow some G.I. Joe dumped or resold/gave them away off base outside one of the U.S. posts here ;) so they eventually ended up in fleamarket bins)

Edited by Big Beat Steve