Bennie Moten - where to start?

Tom Storer

A while back I had three tracks left over on my monthly emusic allotment, and I downloaded three tracks from a record called "Band Box Shuffle" that documents Bennie Moten's band from 1929-32, on the Hep label.

The three tracks were "Rumba Negro," "The Jones Law Blues," and "Band Box Shuffle." I'm capable of listening to these three tracks in sequence about five times in a row. Ten, even. I love them.

So, my question is: where should I start in acquiring Benny Moten records?

Moten fans, come to my rescue with your passionate recommendations!

A while back I had three tracks left over on my monthly emusic allotment, and I downloaded three tracks from a record called "Band Box Shuffle" that documents Bennie Moten's band from 1929-32, on the Hep label.

The three tracks were "Rumba Negro," "The Jones Law Blues," and "Band Box Shuffle." I'm capable of listening to these three tracks in sequence about five times in a row. Ten, even. I love them.

So, my question is: where should I start in acquiring Benny Moten records?

Moten fans, come to my rescue with your passionate recommendations!

get the Hep...

Yes, the Hep has pretty much all the best of the later material. (What, you didn't download "Moten Swing," "Toby" and "Prince of Wails"?)

The most interesting Motens are the earliest (the very ragtimey early Okeh recordings) and the latest (the "Moten Swing" session). The middle is kinda tedious.

The "Moten Swing" session is just about the Rosetta Stone of swing.

And if you want to go the whole way, check out the chronological works of the Moten band on the CLASSICS label.

I'ld go that way too!

Tom, may I suggest you pay a visit to a FNAC store this month. They have a special CD discount on a number of items and that includes the Classics label:

Opération -50%

Price for one Classics at FNAC is €11,74. I'll let you do the calculation on how much you'll pay for two!

The FNAC on the Rue de Rennes has a pretty complete selection of Classics, the one on the Avenue des Ternes is not bad either!

Happy hunting!