Savoy (Denon) Reissues

Late

And this Barron Savoy from 1972 I don't think has been on CD:

BillBarrononSavoy.jpg

:excited: Whoa. Didn't even know that Barron side existed. Do you have it Chas? I'm guessing that Kenny's on it as well. Now you've got me jones-ing to hear it! Must resist the Caps Lock!

I'm enough of a Bill Barron fan that I sprung for the "complete" Modern Windows (simply meaning the Japanese mini-LP version) when it was reissued. Great album. Barron is usually tagged with "playing under a Coltrane influence," and I don't think that's always accurate. Some of his harmonic vocabulary does have a precedent in what Coltrane was doing when he recorded for Atlantic, but Barron does take some interesting detours — if not harmonically, then certainly compositionally — from this so-called influence.

Savoy in the 60's is a hugely under-examined goldmine.

And I'm not even really aware of any Savoy recordings from the 70's ... though I'd like to be! :wacko:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sound was mostly very good on these, but they were sloppily edited: sometimes there were mistakes in the credits, and they rarely added bonus material. Seems they never consulted Bob Porter's Savoy discography and thus stuck to the often scattered release pattern of the LPs, with often short playing time. Due to this I find it out of place to call them one of the best reissue series.

Wasn't this motivated by the japanese "LP reproduction" ideology (including reproduction of previous errors)?

That's such a weird practice - I really don't understand why these vinyl fetishists don't just buy vinyl if they want the *original* album anyway.

Right, and possibly stop hunting whales :angry:

Ah, I see... but the Japanese and American series used the same remasterings?

Yes, the Japanese and the first US releases shared the same remastering as far as I can tell.

You mean the first "Denon" US releases? As far as I can see they were from the same Japanese production - at least I couldn't see any difference. These popped up here every now and then, like they had manufactured rather large quantities that didn't sell as fast as they had expected. The US Savoy web catalogue still has quite a number of these CDs.

And this Barron Savoy from 1972 I don't think has been on CD:

BillBarrononSavoy.jpg

:excited: Whoa. Didn't even know that Barron side existed. Do you have it Chas? I'm guessing that Kenny's on it as well. Now you've got me jones-ing to hear it! Must resist the Caps Lock!

I assume you are referring to this date:

Date: ca. 1972

Label: Savoy

Bill Barron (ldr), Bill Barron (ts), Kenny Barron (p), Chris White (b), Al Hicks (d)

a. a-01 Motivation (Bill Barron)

b. a-02 Land Of Sunshine (Bill Barron)

c. a-03 Blues For R. A. (Bill Barron)

d. b-01 Cosmos (Kenny Barron)

e. b-02 Hold Back Tomorrow (Bill Barron)

f. b-03 Mental Vibrations (Bill Barron)

All titles on: - Savoy LP 12": 12303 - Motivation

I have the LP and it is a terrific recording, in particular the title cut.

Edited by relyles

Some other Savoy reissues on CD that I like very much.

These 3 I have on Japanese LP facsimiles:

Introducing Lee Morgan

Gigi Gryce - Nica's Tempo

Curtis Fuller - Blues-ette

This one is a 1993 CD release on Savoy by Nippon Columbia.

Curtis Fuller - Blues-ette Part II

The personnel on Blues-ette Part II (1993), is identical to the original Blues-ette recording from 1956 with the exception of the bass player. Jimmy Garrison was no longer alive when Part II was recorded.

Curtis Fuller, Benny Golson, Tommy Flanagan, Ray Drummond, Al Harewood

Savoy in the 60's is a hugely under-examined goldmine.

And I'm not even really aware of any Savoy recordings from the 70's ... though I'd like to be! :wacko:

Click here for a list - no years of recrding or issue, unfortunately.

Yes, the 14XXX series, as it says in the discography, is mostly Gospel music. The one that looks like a jazz album - 14471 The Gospel soul of Houston Person - is actually a Gospel album, in which Houston and his band play with the Atlanta Philharmonic Choral and the Ogletree Brothers. That was recorded in 1978. (Funnily enough, I was playing it yesterday.)

The Savoy 14XXX series seems to have come to an end now - the last number I can trace is 14849 "God is faithful" by LaShun Pace, from 2001. There was also a 7XXX series, started in the mid-seventies when the twofers began to be popular. That seems to have reached 7129 "I owe you the praise" by the Georgia Mass Choir, in 2002.

Savoy is a much more important Gospel label than a jazz label.

The only secular recording from the seventies, which hasn't been reissued on CD as far as I know, and isn't in that listing anyway, was "Home in the country" by Pee Wee Ellis - SJL3301 - recorded in 1977 and produced by Bob Porter. That was when Arista had acquired the whole company from Herman Lubinsky's heirs. Clive Davis didn't know what to do with the company, which was making huge money but in an area he didn't know. So he split it and sold the secular material, under the trademark of Savoy Jazz, to Nippon Columbia, and the Gospel material to Malaco.

MG

Whenever I start getting excited about a certain label, I always forget to check Mike Fitzgerald's site. :crazy: Thanks for reminding me, Mike W.

Question — did these three ever come out on compact disc?

The Philosophy of Phil Urso

Marzette Watts Ensemble (I'm pretty sure this one didn't see CD reissue, but I'd like to be wrong.)

North, South, East ... Wes

Whenever I start getting excited about a certain label, I always forget to check Mike Fitzgerald's site. :crazy: Thanks for reminding me, Mike W.

Question — did these three ever come out on compact disc?

The Philosophy of Phil Urso

Marzette Watts Ensemble (I'm pretty sure this one didn't see CD reissue, but I'd like to be wrong.)

North, South, East ... Wes

North, South, East... Wess was reissued on CD. As far as I know the Phil Urso and Marzette Watts were not.

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks for following up on my remastering question!

The later US versions, that would be first the jewel-case editions of albums like the Dixon/Shepp (great one!) or "Bluebird" by Hank Jones' Trio with guests (J. Richardson, D. Byrd, J. Wilder a.o.)?

These were new remasterings, as far as I know. And they had the Atlantic logo on them - why, actaully? Just a distribution thing?

Around the same time, there were the cardboard packages, of, among others, Art Pepper, Kenny Dorham, Fats Navarro, and 2CD sets of Coltrane/Harden (marvellous!), Cannonball & Nat Adderley, Yusef Lateef (I have that one packed in a jewel-case, but still with the cardboard-layout). Some of these had the Atlantic logo on them, too.

Then there are the compressed black cardboard packages (still marvellous music, of course... I have the Gillespie, Norvo and Prez in that edition, half of the Prez on one of the Denons, too).

And the great 8CD Bird box (Savoy/Dial/related stuff, including the Norvo session w/Bird & Diz) was a one-off, correct? That one is marvellous!

i am offering these savoy japan cds - thought i put this list also in this topic here as it fits exactly:

- herbie mann "yardbird suite", sv-0193, sealed, 9.00 $

- red norvo trio "move", sv-0168, mint (no obi), 9.00 $

- milt jackson "roll em bags", sv-0110, near mint (no obi), 8.00 $

- charlie parker "the genius of, sv-0104, sealed, 8.00 $

- charlie parker "an evening at home with", sv- 0154, sealed, 8.00 $

- joe wilder "wilder and wilder", sv-0131, near mint(no obi), 7.00 $

- george shearing "midnight on cloud 69", sv-0208, sealed, 10.00 $

- frank wess "north east south wess", sv-0139, mint with obi, 12.00 $

- curtis fuller, sonny redd "jazz its magic", sv- 0153, sealed, 12.00 $

- charles mingus "jazz composers workshop", sv-0171, sealed, 10.00 $

- dexter gordon "rides again", sv-0120, mint with obi, 10.00 $

- a.k. salim "blues suite", sv-0142, mint with obi, 12.00 $

- wilbur harden, john coltrane "mainstream 1958", sv- 0121, sealed, 10.00$

- art blakey, midnight session, sv- 0145, mint with obi, 9.00 $

- curtis fuller with benny golson, sv-0134, sealed, 12.00 $

- brownie mc ghee & sonny terry, climbin up, mint (no obi), 8.00 $

ALL CDS ARE JAPANESE NIPPON ISSUES; DIGITALLY REMASTERD BY DENON; RELEASED BETWEEN 1991 and 1993 (only the last one is released 1994)

- SHIPPING INFORMATIONS -

EUROPE & WORLDWIDE:

due to the high international german shipping costs, i offer two options for europe & worldwide airmail shipping of 1 CD:

A) sending the CD incl the original jewel-case but with higher shipping costs

B) sending the CD in a special slim-case with less weight and much lower shipping costs

> shipping costs for 1 CD with option A: 11.50 $ worldwide / 6.50 $ europe

> shipping costs for 1 CD with option B: 7.00 $ worldwide / 5.00 $ europe

(for add. CDs only shipping option A is available with 1.00 $ extra each)

*please note that the cd is in both options very well protected and will be mailed in new bubble cd envelopes.

*just let me know which option you prefer and I will send you the right invoice.

(still sealed CDs would have to be unsealed to ship with option B !)

paypal only payments for international bidders ! I do not accept any kind of cheques.

Edited by jbs-tom

Click here for a list - no years of recrding or issue, unfortunately.

12030 Clarke & Burke Jazz Young Blood

Mike F. has it listed as such.......but the '93 Jpn cd (SV-0211) has Chuz Alfred as the leader (the one and only time for him, yes?).

I have this CD. The original sleeve reproduced in it doesn't actully have a leader; the front is simply called "Jazz young Blood" which obviously didn't refer to Kenny Clarke or Vinnie Burke in 1955. The reverse lists Alfred's name first - before Ola Hansen's - and this seems to me odd because you'd normally expect a trombonist to be lested before a tenor player. Anyway, the Michel Ruppli Savoy discography (which I don't have, but borrowed from the library many years ago) lists this as a Chuz Alfred album. I guess the Savoy files must have revealed that he was paid as leader.

It's Alfred's only album, but I have a 78 on Savoy by him, Buckeye bounce/Caravan; 1158. It was recorded, I seem to remember, the year before and, to judge from the matrix numbers (SCA334 & 335), in California. I think this previous session produced 4 tracks, but I don't have the other 78. This is quite a different style of playing; the A side is very much in the honkers and screamers mode while "Caravan" is a wonderful groover, years ahead of its time (and the reason I bought the CD).

MG

Flurin, you're correct: all those cds you mention have different remastering than the Denon/Savoys. These later ones have remastering by Paul Reid Smith III in Georgia. 'Salright, but in most every case I've compared I prefer the earlier remastering.

Flurin, you're correct: all those cds you mention have different remastering than the Denon/Savoys. These later ones have remastering by Paul Reid Smith III in Georgia. 'Salright, but in most every case I've compared I prefer the earlier remastering.

Sorry I'm coming late to this one. This was an odd series. They seem to have spent all the money on remastering--which was unusual!--and mostly ripped the programming and liners from the old Arista Savoy SJL series, which was a very, very good LP series, so it was a good place to take that from. Denon dropped a lot of the alternate takes, though, in order to fit the music on single cds for budget pricing. I have the Norvo, the Bert, and a few others. I agree with everybody else--the sound is very fine.

Here is the Savoy Jazz 1993 Release list:

Using brownie's list of 1993 issues (I have that one, too, in a cover of a disc I have), plus using two more covers of mine (the three are Red Rodney "Fiery", Byrd/Jenkins "Jazz Eyes" and Lester Young's "The Master's Touch") I can make a pretty long list. All typed up by hand, so forgive typos, please!

The items with a asterisk are taken from the US Savoy/Atlantic 2001 edition of "Bill Dixon 7-tette/Archie Shepp and the NY Contemporary Five" and are identical to the same version of Hank Jones Trio with Guests "Bluebird". The titles listed on those lists are identical to the SV0xxx titles, but they have SVYxxx numbers, instead. The ones listed doubly (thus not with an asterisk below, but also present in the identical lists of the Jones and Dixon/Shepp) are: 101, 102, 104, 105, 109, 111, 112, 115, 116, 118, 120, 123, 126, 127, 128, 147-152, 155-160, 162, 163, 170, 173, 175, 177, 180, 221, 226, and 237. Thus I assume at least all these, plus the asterisk ones, have also seen US release before 2001. I have never found out if those were the same ones as distributed in Japan (printed by Nippon Columbia Co., Ltd) or not, but a comment above (from Lon) indicates that yes, they were most likely identical. I have no idea if the US series left out the missing numbers, since I have no other reference but the two CD booklets... I do assume though that the listing on the Savoy website (referenced above) would deliver at least a partial answer, in that it quite certainly lists more of these SVYxxx items than the ones I mention here.

The 2001 editions (of which I have "Bluebird" and the Dixon/Shepp) are something else again, called "Super Safer" or something, and adding alternates/additional material. They're packed in regular jewel cases, too, but with see-through trays and adds for/covers of four more titles, alas three are the same in the two discs I have, making the total items I'm aware of 5, only:

SVY17092 - A.K. Salim - Pretty For The People

SVY17093 - Ernie Wilkins - Top Brass

SVY17094 - Bill Dixon 7-tette / Archie Shepp and the New York Contemporary 5

SVY17095 - Hank Jones Trio - Bluebird [which is the trio with many several guests, actually]

SVY17096 - Slam Stewart - Bowin' Singin' Slam

I have no idea what SVY17091 was, and I don't know if more titles ever were released. The only two I ever saw, I bought...

So then, here's the main list:

SV0101 - Charlie Parker Memorial Vol. 1 - Charlie Parker

SV0102 - Charlie Parker Memorial Vol. 2 - Charlie Parker

SV0103 - The Genius Charlie Parker Vol. 3 - Charlie Parker

SV0104 - The Genius Charlie Parker Vol. 4 - Charlie Parker

SV0105 - The Charlie Parker Story - Charlie Parker

SV0106 - Telefunken Blues - Kenny Clarke

SV0107 - Bohemia After Dark - Kenny Clarke

SV0108 - Presenting Cannonball Adderley - Cannonball Adderley

SV0109 - Opus de Jazz - Milt Jackson

SV0110 - Roll 'em Bags - Milt Jackson

SV0111 - Modern Jazz Quartet - Milt Jackson

SV0112 - Blue Lester - Lester Young

SV0113 - The Master's Touch - Lester Young

SV0114 - No Count - Frank Foster

SV0115 - Surfride - Art Pepper

SV0116 - Introducing - Lee Morgan

SV0117 - I Just Love Jazz Piano - Paul Smith etc.

SV0118 - Opus de Bop - Stan Getz

SV0119 - Jazz at Hotchkiss - George Wallington

SV0120 - Dexter Rides Again - Dexter Gordon

SV0121 - Mainstream 1958 - Wilbur Harden

SV0122 - Jazz Way Out - Wilbur Harden

SV0123 - Nostalgia - Fats Navarro

SV0124 - The King and I - Wilbur Harden

SV0125 - Tanganyika Strut - Wilbur Harden/John Coltrane

SV0126 - Nica's Tempo - Gigi Gryce

SV0127 - Bluesette - Curtis Fuller

SV0128 - Imagination - Curtis Fuller

SV0129 - Images - Curtis Fuller

SV0130 - Do It Yourself Jazz - Duke Jordan/Hall Overton

SV0131 - Wilden n' Wilder - Joe Wilder

SV0132 - Byrd's Word - Donald Byrd

SV0133 - The Jazz Message of Hank Mobley - Hank Mobley

SV0134 - Curtis Fuller Jazztet - Curtis Fuller

SV0135 - Patterns of Jazz - Cecil Payne

SV0136 - The George Wallington Trio - George Wallington

SV0137 - Opus de Blues - Frank Wess

SV0138 - Bluebird - Hank Jones

SV0139 - Noth, South, East... Wess - Frank Wess

SV0140 - Footloose - Paul Bley

SV0141 - Jazz Sahib - Sahib Shihab

SV0142 - Blues Suite - A.K. Salim

SV0143 - Bird's Night - Phil Woods

SV0144 - Opus de Swing - Frank Wess

SV0145 - Midnight Session - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

SV0146 - That's Nat - Nat Adderley

SV0147 - The Hank Jones Quartet - Hank Jones

SV0148 - Fiery - Red Rodney

SV0149 - Trio & Quartet - Duke Jordan

SV0150 - Cookin' - Booker Ervin

SV0151 - J.J. Johnson's Jazz Quintet - J.J. Johnson

SV0152 - Groovin' High - Dizzy Gillespie

SV0153 - Jazz... It's Magic - Curtis Fuller

SV0154 - An Evening at HOme with The Bird - Charlie Parker

SV0155 - The Bird Returns - Charlie Parker

SV0156 - Newly Discovered Sides by Charlie Parker - Charlie Parker

SV0157 - School Days - Dizzy Gillespie

SV0158 - Jazz Message of Hank Mobley Vol. 2 - Hank Mobley

SV0159 - First Miles - Miles Davis

SV0160 - Great Britains - Marian McPartland/George Shearing

SV0161 - Two Altos - Art Pepper/Sonny Red

SV0162 - Penthouse Serenade - Erroll Garner

SV0163 - Jay and Kai - J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding

SV0164 - Jazz West Coast Live / Hollywood Jazz Vol. 1 - Dexter Gordon & Wardell Gray

SV0165 - Jazz West Coast Live / Hollywood Jazz Vol. 2 - Bopland Boys

SV0166 - Jazz West Coast Live / Hollywood Jazz Vol. 3 - Bop Jam Allstars

SV0167 - Howard McGhee & Milt Jackson

SV0168 - Move - Red Norvo

SV0169 - In the Beginning the Bop - Fats Navarro etc.

SV0170 - The Champ - Dizzy Gillespie

SV0171 - Jazz Composers Workshop - Charles Mingus

SV0172 - Meet Milt Jackson - Milt Jackson

SV0173 - The Jazz Skyline - Milt Jackson

SV0174 - All About Ronnie - Ronnie Ball

SV0175 - Jackson's Ville - Milt Jackson

SV0176 - Jazz Men Detroit - Kenny Clarke

SV0177 - Dizzy Gillespie Story - Dizzy Gillespie

SV0178 - Jazz Is Busting Out All Over

SV0179 - Opus de Jazz Vol. 2 - Johnny Rae

SV0180 - Jazz Immortal Series - The Pres Lester Young

SV0181 -

SV0182 -

SV0183 -

SV0184 -

SV0195 -

SV0186 -

SV0187 -

SV0188 -

SV0189 -

SV0190 -

SV0191 -

*SV0192 - Jazz Recital - Charlie Byrd

*SV0193 - Yardbird Suite - Herbie Mann

SV0194 -

SV0195 -

SV0196 -

SV0197 -

SV0198 -

*SV0199 - Joe Williams Sings - Joe Williams

SV0200 -

SV0201 -

SV0202 -

SV0203 -

SV0204 -

SV0205 -

SV0206 -

SV0207 -

*SV0208 - Midnight on Cloud 69 - George Shearing Quartet/Red Norvo Trio

SV0209 -

SV0210 -

SV0211 -

SV0212 -

*SV0213 - Futuristic SOunds of Sun Ra - Sun Ra

SV0214 -

SV0215 -

SV0216 -

SV0217 -

SV0218 -

SV0219 -

SV0220 -

SV0221 - Serenade to Laura - Erroll Garner

SV0222 - Ernie Wilkins - Kenny Clarke Septet

SV0223 - Erroll Garner - Billy Taylor

SV0224 - The Jazz Keyboards

SV0225 - By the Fireside - Paul Smith

SV0226 - Looking for a Boy - Marian McPartland

SV0227 - Loadced - Vido Musso Stan Getz

SV0228 - The Jazz We Heard Last Summer - Herbie Mann

SV0229 - Encore - Eddie Bert

SV0230 - Jazz Eyes - John Jenkins/Donald Byrd

SV0231 - Ringside at Condon's - Eddie Condon

SV0232 - Serenade in Blue - Al Caiola

SV0233 - Every Breath I Take - Marlene

SV0234 - Portrait - Johnny Coates Jr.

SV0235 - Dancin' Jazz - Billy Ver Plank

SV0236 - Hank Jones Quartet

SV0237 - Jazz Moods - Yusef Lateef

SV0238 - New Advanced Jazz - Valdo Williams

SV0239 - Very Truly Yours - Jimmy Scott

SV0240 - The Jazz Hours - Various Artists

*SV0241 - Savoy Jazz Christmas Blues - Various Artists

SV0242 -

SV0243 -

SV0244 -

SV0245 -

SV0246 -

SV0247 -

SV0248 -

SV0249 -

SV0250 -

SV0251 - Discoveries - Cannonball Adderley

SV0252 -

SV0253 -

SV0254 -

SV0255 -

SV0256 -

SV0257 -

SV0258 -

SV0259 -

SV0260 -

SV0261 -

*SV0262 - Candy - Big Maybelle

*SV0263 - All Over Again - Jimmy Scott

*SV0264 - Mister B. and the Band - Billy Eckstine

*SV0265 - Have No Fear, Joe Turner Is Here - Big Joe Turner

SV0266 -

*SV0267 - The Savoy Sessions - Red Norvo

*SV0268 -Savoy Jam Party - Don Byas

SV0269 -

*SV0270 - The Greatest Group of Them All - The Ravens

I don't know if there were more titles after SV0270. If anyone can help filling gaps or answering some of the questions I ask in the preliminary write-up, please step ahead and help!

So then, here's the main list:

SV0101 - Charlie Parker Memorial Vol. 1 - Charlie Parker

SV0102 - Charlie Parker Memorial Vol. 2 - Charlie Parker

SV0103 - The Genius Charlie Parker Vol. 3 - Charlie Parker

SV0104 - The Genius Charlie Parker Vol. 4 - Charlie Parker

SV0105 - The Charlie Parker Story - Charlie Parker

SV0106 - Telefunken Blues - Kenny Clarke

SV0107 - Bohemia After Dark - Kenny Clarke

SV0108 - Presenting Cannonball Adderley - Cannonball Adderley

SV0109 - Opus de Jazz - Milt Jackson

SV0110 - Roll 'em Bags - Milt Jackson

SV0111 - Modern Jazz Quartet - Milt Jackson

SV0112 - Blue Lester - Lester Young

SV0113 - The Master's Touch - Lester Young

SV0114 - No Count - Frank Foster

SV0115 - Surfride - Art Pepper

SV0116 - Introducing - Lee Morgan

SV0117 - I Just Love Jazz Piano - Paul Smith etc.

SV0118 - Opus de Bop - Stan Getz

SV0119 - Jazz at Hotchkiss - George Wallington

SV0120 - Dexter Rides Again - Dexter Gordon

SV0121 - Mainstream 1958 - Wilbur Harden

SV0122 - Jazz Way Out - Wilbur Harden

SV0123 - Nostalgia - Fats Navarro

SV0124 - The King and I - Wilbur Harden

SV0125 - Tanganyika Strut - Wilbur Harden/John Coltrane

SV0126 - Nica's Tempo - Gigi Gryce

SV0127 - Bluesette - Curtis Fuller

SV0128 - Imagination - Curtis Fuller

SV0129 - Images - Curtis Fuller

SV0130 - Do It Yourself Jazz - Duke Jordan/Hall Overton

SV0131 - Wilden n' Wilder - Joe Wilder

SV0132 - Byrd's Word - Donald Byrd

SV0133 - The Jazz Message of Hank Mobley - Hank Mobley

SV0134 - Curtis Fuller Jazztet - Curtis Fuller

SV0135 - Patterns of Jazz - Cecil Payne

SV0136 - The George Wallington Trio - George Wallington

SV0137 - Opus de Blues - Frank Wess

SV0138 - Bluebird - Hank Jones

SV0139 - Noth, South, East... Wess - Frank Wess

SV0140 - Footloose - Paul Bley

SV0141 - Jazz Sahib - Sahib Shihab

SV0142 - Blues Suite - A.K. Salim

SV0143 - Bird's Night - Phil Woods

SV0144 - Opus de Swing - Frank Wess

SV0145 - Midnight Session - Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers

SV0146 - That's Nat - Nat Adderley

SV0147 - The Hank Jones Quartet - Hank Jones

SV0148 - Fiery - Red Rodney

SV0149 - Trio & Quartet - Duke Jordan

SV0150 - Cookin' - Booker Ervin

SV0151 - J.J. Johnson's Jazz Quintet - J.J. Johnson

SV0152 - Groovin' High - Dizzy Gillespie

SV0153 - Jazz... It's Magic - Curtis Fuller

SV0154 - An Evening at HOme with The Bird - Charlie Parker

SV0155 - The Bird Returns - Charlie Parker

SV0156 - Newly Discovered Sides by Charlie Parker - Charlie Parker

SV0157 - School Days - Dizzy Gillespie

SV0158 - Jazz Message of Hank Mobley Vol. 2 - Hank Mobley

SV0159 - First Miles - Miles Davis

SV0160 - Great Britains - Marian McPartland/George Shearing

SV0161 - Two Altos - Art Pepper/Sonny Red

SV0162 - Penthouse Serenade - Erroll Garner

SV0163 - Jay and Kai - J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding

SV0164 - Jazz West Coast Live / Hollywood Jazz Vol. 1 - Dexter Gordon & Wardell Gray

SV0165 - Jazz West Coast Live / Hollywood Jazz Vol. 2 - Bopland Boys

SV0166 - Jazz West Coast Live / Hollywood Jazz Vol. 3 - Bop Jam Allstars

SV0167 - Howard McGhee & Milt Jackson

SV0168 - Move - Red Norvo

SV0169 - In the Beginning the Bop - Fats Navarro etc.

SV0170 - The Champ - Dizzy Gillespie

SV0171 - Jazz Composers Workshop - Charles Mingus

SV0172 - Meet Milt Jackson - Milt Jackson

SV0173 - The Jazz Skyline - Milt Jackson

SV0174 - All About Ronnie - Ronnie Ball

SV0175 - Jackson's Ville - Milt Jackson

SV0176 - Jazz Men Detroit - Kenny Clarke

SV0177 - Dizzy Gillespie Story - Dizzy Gillespie

SV0178 - Jazz Is Busting Out All Over

SV0179 - Opus de Jazz Vol. 2 - Johnny Rae

SV0180 - Jazz Immortal Series - The Pres Lester Young

SV0181 - Memorial - Fats Navarro

SV0182 - The Hawk Returns - Coleman Hawkins

SV0183 - Eddie Bert with the Hank Jones Trio - Eddie Bert

SV0184 - The Trio - Kenny Clarke

SV0195 - Boyd Meets Stravinsky - Boyd Raeburn

SV0186 - Deep People - Shelly Manne, Bill Russo

SV0187 - Cohn's Tones - Al Cohn

SV0188 - Swing Not Spring - Various

SV0189 - The Jazz Guitarist - Chuck Wayne

SV0190 - Trombones and Flute - Frank Wess

SV0191 - Jazz For Playboys - Frank Wess

*SV0192 - Jazz Recital - Charlie Byrd

*SV0193 - Yardbird Suite - Herbie Mann

SV0194 - Jazz Harpist - Dorothy Ashby

SV0195 - Crazy Rhythms - Charlie Ventura

SV0196 - House Rent Party (Pete's Blues) - Pete Johnson

SV0197 - We Dig Dixieland - Eddie Condon

SV0198 - The Cool Sound of Pepper Adams

*SV0199 - Joe Williams Sings - Joe Williams

SV0200 - Me and the Blues - Mildred Bailey

SV0201 -

SV0202 -

SV0203 -

SV0204 -

SV0205 -

SV0206 -

SV0207 -

*SV0208 - Midnight on Cloud 69 - George Shearing Quartet/Red Norvo Trio

SV0209 -

SV0210 -

SV0211 -

SV0212 -

*SV0213 - Futuristic SOunds of Sun Ra - Sun Ra

SV0214 -

SV0215 -

SV0216 -

SV0217 -

SV0218 -

SV0219 -

SV0220 -

SV0221 - Serenade to Laura - Erroll Garner

SV0222 - Ernie Wilkins - Kenny Clarke Septet

SV0223 - Erroll Garner - Billy Taylor

SV0224 - The Jazz Keyboards

SV0225 - By the Fireside - Paul Smith

SV0226 - Looking for a Boy - Marian McPartland

SV0227 - Loadced - Vido Musso Stan Getz

SV0228 - The Jazz We Heard Last Summer - Herbie Mann

SV0229 - Encore - Eddie Bert

SV0230 - Jazz Eyes - John Jenkins/Donald Byrd

SV0231 - Ringside at Condon's - Eddie Condon

SV0232 - Serenade in Blue - Al Caiola

SV0233 - Every Breath I Take - Marlene

SV0234 - Portrait - Johnny Coates Jr.

SV0235 - Dancin' Jazz - Billy Ver Plank

SV0236 - Hank Jones Quartet

SV0237 - Jazz Moods - Yusef Lateef

SV0238 - New Advanced Jazz - Valdo Williams

SV0239 - Very Truly Yours - Jimmy Scott

SV0240 - The Jazz Hours - Various Artists

*SV0241 - Savoy Jazz Christmas Blues - Various Artists

SV0242 -

SV0243 -

SV0244 -

SV0245 -

SV0246 -

SV0247 -

SV0248 -

SV0249 -

SV0250 -

SV0251 - Discoveries - Cannonball Adderley

SV0252 -

SV0253 -

SV0254 -

SV0255 -

SV0256 -

SV0257 -

SV0258 -

SV0259 -

SV0260 -

SV0261 -

*SV0262 - Candy - Big Maybelle

*SV0263 - All Over Again - Jimmy Scott

*SV0264 - Mister B. and the Band - Billy Eckstine

*SV0265 - Have No Fear, Joe Turner Is Here - Big Joe Turner

SV0266 -

*SV0267 - The Savoy Sessions - Red Norvo

*SV0268 -Savoy Jam Party - Don Byas

SV0269 -

*SV0270 - The Greatest Group of Them All - The Ravens

I don't know if there were more titles after SV0270. If anyone can help filling gaps or answering some of the questions I ask in the preliminary write-up, please step ahead and help!

I have added several missing items to the list!

king ubu, sorry that you had to type them in by hand, since I do actually have a list in an old Word file of the complete 1991-1994 batches, which I've pasted below. Notice that some early catalogue numbers only were released in the second batch.

1991/1992 Release

SV-0101 Charlie Parker Memorial Vol. 1

SV-0102 Charlie Parker Memorial Vol. 2

SV-0103 The Genius Of Charlie Parker Vol. 3

SV-0104 The Genius Of Charlie Parker Vol. 4

SV-0105 The Charlie Parker Story

SV-0108 Presenting Cannonball Adderley

SV-0111 Milt Jackson - MJQ

SV-0114 Frank Foster – No Count

SV-0115 Art Pepper – Surf Ride

SV-0116 Introducing Lee Morgan

SV-0118 Stan Getz – Opus De Bop

SV-0119 George Wallington – Jazz At Hotchkiss

SV-0122 Wilbur Harden – Jazz Way Out

SV-0123 Fats Navarro - Nostalgia

SV-0124 Wibur Harden-Tommy Flanagan – The King And I

SV-0125 Wilbur Harden, John Coltrane – Tanganyika Strut

SV-0126 Gigi Gryce – Nica’s Tempo

SV-0127 Curtis Fuller - Bluesette

SV-0128 Curtis Fuller - Imagination

SV-0129 Curtis Fuller - Images

SV-0130 Duke Jordan-Hall Overton – Do It Yourself Jazz

SV-0131 Joe Wilder – Wilder ’n’ Wilder

SV-0132 Donald Byrd – Byrd’s Word

SV-0133 The Jazz Message Of Hank Mobley

SV-0134 Curtis Fuller Jazztet

SV-0135 Cecil Payne – Patterns Of Jazz

SV-0136 The George Wallington Trio

SV-0137 Frank Wess – Opus De Blues

SV-0138 Hank Jones – Bluebird

SV-0139 Frank Wess – North, South, East…Wess

SV-0141 Sahib Shihab – Jazz Sahib

SV-0142 A. K. Salim – Blues Suite

SV-0143 Phil Woods – Bird’s Night

SV-0145 Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Midnight Session

SV-0146 Nat Adderley – That’s Nat

SV-0147 The Hank Jones Quartet

SV-0148 Red Rodney - Fiery

SV-0149 Duke Jordan – Trio & Quartet

SV-0150 Booker Ervin – Cookin’

SV-0153 Curtis Fuller – Jazz…It’s Magic

1992 Release

SV-0106 Kenny Clarke – Telefunken Blues

SV-0107 Kenny Clarke – Bohemia After Dark

SV-0109 Milt Jackson – Opus De Jazz

SV-0110 Milt Jackson – Roll ’Em Bags

SV-0112 Lester Young – Blue Lester

SV-0113 Lester Young – The Master’s Touch

SV-0117 Paul Smith, etc. – I Just Love Jazz Piano

SV-0120 Dexter Gordon – Dexter Rides Again

SV-0121 Wilbur Harden – Mainstream 1958

SV-0140 Paul Bley - Footloose

SV-0144 Frank Wess – Opus In Swing

SV-0151 J.J. Johnson Jazz Quintet

SV-0152 Dizzy Gillespie – Groovin’ High

SV-0154 Charlie Parker – An Evening At Home With The Bird

SV-0155 Charlie Parker – The Bird Returns

SV-0156 Newly Discovered Sides By Charlie Parker

SV-0157 Dizzy Gillespie – School Days

SV-0158 Jazz Message Of Hank Mobley Vol. 2

SV-0159 Miles Davis – First Miles

SV-0160 Marian McPartland, George Shearing – Great Britains

SV-0161 Art Pepper, Sonny Redd – Two Altos

SV-0162 Erroll Garner – Penthouse Serenade

SV-0163 J.J. Johnson + Kai Winding – Jay And Kai

SV-0164 Dexter Gordon & Wardell Gray – Jazz West Coast Live / Hollywood Jazz Vol. 1

SV-0165 Bopland Boys – Jazz West Coast Live / Hollywood Jazz Vol. 2

SV-0166 Bop Jam Allstars – Jazz West Coast Live / Hollywood Jazz Vol. 3

SV-0167 Howard McGhee & Milt Jackson

SV-0168 Red Norvo - Move

SV-0169 Fats Navarro, etc. – In The Beginning The Bop

SV-0170 Dizzy Gillespie – The Champ

SV-0171 Charles Mingus – Jazz Composers Workshop

SV-0172 Meet Milt Jackson

SV-0173 Milt Jackson – The Jazz Skyline

SV-0174 Ronnie Ball – All About Ronnie

SV-0175 Milt Jackson – Jackson’s Ville

SV-0176 Kenny Clarke – Jazz Men Detroit

SV-0177 Dizzy Gillespie Story

SV-0178 Jazz Is Busting Out All Over

SV-0179 Johnny Rae – Opus De Jazz Vol. 2

SV-0180 Lester Young – Jazz Immortal Series The Pres

1992/1993 Release

SV-0181 Fats Navarro - Memorial

SV-0182 Coleman Hawkins – The Hawk Returns

SV-0183 Eddie Bert With The Hank Jones Trio

SV-0184 Kenny Clarke – The Trio

SV-0185 Boyd Raeburn – Boyd Meets Stravinsky

SV-0186 Shelly Manne, Bill Russo – Deep People

SV-0187 Al Cohn – Cohn’s Tone

SV-0188 Various – Swing Not Spring

SV-0189 Chuck Wayne – The Jazz Guitarist

SV-0190 Frank Wess – Trombones And Flutes

SV-0191 Frank Wess – Jazz For Playboys

SV-0192 Charlie Byrd – Jazz Recital

SV-0193 Herbie Mann – Yardbird Suite

SV-0194 Dorothy Ashby – Jazz Harpist

SV-0195 Charlie Ventura – Crazy Rhythms

SV-0196 Pete Johnson – House Rent Party (Pete’s Blues)

SV-0197 Edde Condon – We Dig Dixieland

SV-0198 The Cool Sound Of Pepper Adams

SV-0199 Joe Williams Sings

SV-0200 Mildred Bailey – Me And The Blues

1993 Release

SV-0201 Herbie Brock – Brock’s Top’s

SV-0202 Marian McParland – In Concert

SV-0203 Ray McKinley & His Orchestra - Borderline

SV-0204 John Mehegan - Reflections

SV-0205 Al Caiola – Deep In A Dream

SV-0206 J. Mehegan & E. Costa – A Pair Of Pianos

SV-0207 Mike Cuozzo – Mighty Mike

SV-0208 George Shearing – Midnight On Cloud 69

SV-0209 Billy Ver Planck – Jazz For Play Girls

SV-0210 Yusef Lateef – Prayer To The East

SV-0211 Jazz-Young Blood – Chuz Alfred

SV-0212 Bill Barron – The Tenor Stylings

SV-0213 The Futuristic Sounds Of Sun Ra

SV-0214 Four French Horns

SV-0215 Joe Roland – Joltin’ Joe

SV-0216 Barbara Long - Soul

SV-0217 Charles Moffett – The Gft

SV-0218 Jackie and Roy

SV-0219 South Pacific Jazz

SV-0220 Ronnell Bright – Bright’s Spot

1993 Release

SV-0221 Erroll Garner – Serenade To Laura

SV-0222 Ernie Wilkins-Kenny Clarke Septet

SV-0223 Erroll Garner – Billy Taylor

SV-0224 The Jazz Keyboards

SV-0225 Paul Smith – By The Fireside

SV-0226 Marian McPartland – Looking For A Boy

SV-0227 Vido Musso, Stan Getz - Loaded

SV-0228 Herbie Mann – The Jazz We Heard Last Summer

SV-0229 Eddie Bert - Encore

SV-0230 John Jenkins, Donald Byrd – Jazz Eyes

SV-0231 Eddie Condon – Ringside At Condon’s

SV-0232 Al Caiola – Serenade In Blue

SV-0233 Marlene – Every Breath I Take

SV-0234 Johnny Coates Jr. - Portrait

SV-0235 Billy Ver Plank – Dancing Jazz

SV-0236 Hank Jones Quartet

SV-0237 Yusef Lateef – Jazz Moods

SV-0238 Valdo Williams – New Advanced Jazz

SV-0239 Jimmy Scott – Very Truly Yours

SV-0240 Various Artists – The Jazz Hours

1994 Release

SV-0242 Gene Ammons – Red Top

SV-0243 Kenny Clarke Meets The Detroit Jazzmen

SV-0244 Erroll Garner - Yesterdays

SV-0245 Booker Ervin – Down In The Dumps

SV-0246 Kenny Burrell – Monday Stroll

SV-0247 Charlie Byrd – Midnight Guitar

SV-0248 Coleman Hawkins Meets The Big Section

SV-0249 The Progressive Al Cohn

SV-0250 Lester Young – Master Takes With Count Basie

SV-0251 Cannonball Adderley – Discoveries

SV-0252 Emmett Berry, Al Lucas, Bobby Donaldson etc – 7th Ave. Stompers Fidgety Feet

SV-0253 Chuck Wayne, Brew Moore, Zoot Sims – Tasty Pudding

SV-0254 Fletcher Henderson – The Crown King Of Swing

SV-0255 The Perry Robinson 4 – Funk Dumpling

SV-0256 Brownie McGhee & Sonny Terry – Climbin’ Up

SV-0257 Billy Wright – Goin’ Down Slow

SV-0258 Hal Singer – Rent Party

SV-0259 Nappy Brown – Don’t Be Angry

SV-0260 The Ravens – Old Man River

SV-0261 The Ravens - Rarities

There were later releases than SV-0270, since I have SV-0273 Boyd Raeburn – Jewells, but it doesn't have a list inside like the earlier releases, so I don't know what other titles were in its batch.

I would have bought a lot more of these, but the prices were all over the map. When I first saw them (Tower Records maybe?), they were mid-line priced. Maybe $11.99? I bought a bunch. The next time I saw them, they were stickered "IMPORT" and had $15-20 price tags.

I actually bought a whole bunch of the mini-LP versions from Berkshire Record Outlet for around $6 each. I think the mini-LP versions sound pretty nice too and even better, many included extra tracks not found on the jewel-cased versions.