Starting over.....

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i avoided reading this bc i thought it'd be BAD NEWS-- glad it's not & yr lucky two times now FFA (good Terry Allen song too)-- Tallahassee is cool, extremely weird in that great/awful Florida dialectic way. it also has the most varied terrain in all Fla, not to mention puh-lenty of HOT Northern Fla hillbilly gals-- hold on, bro', they're a wild ride! (make sure you watch The Cockfighter sometime too tho' that's set in Ocala.)

edc

Good call, Clem, I'd completely forgotten that the terrain isn't nearly as flat as the south Florida I've gotten used to.

The level of local talent goes without saying, though. They exist everywhere except Gainesville, where sadly the gene that makes them UF fans also turns them butt ugly.

I should also mention that Something Wild, Ray Liotta's debut film and starring pre-plastic surgery Melanie Griffith, was shot partially in Tallahassee during one of my summer vacations.

I should also mention that Something Wild, Ray Liotta's debut film and starring pre-plastic surgery Melanie Griffith, was shot partially in Tallahassee during one of my summer vacations.

I remember enjoying that one when it came out. I should watch it again to see how it's aged.

I've always associated this movie with Scorsese's "After Hours", similar dark comedies.

• 3 months later...

Update.......

I went to Tallahassee a couple weeks ago to teach at the FSU jazz camp (no actual camping involved). I went down a few days early to look for a place to live- I rented a very nice townhouse (garage, deck (for the grill :g), lots of space (closets! pantry!), W/D (which is great because I've been doing the laundromat scene for the past year and I'm ready to be done w/THAT), and a great location. The weather was hot and humid as predicted but not all that different from my days of living in Austin. I like the fact that I'm 90 minutes away from nice white-sand beaches. Hurricane season, well, we'll see what THAT'S all about soon enough. :mellow:

I also had the opportunity to hang & play with the rest of the faculty and was very impressed. They get out to play locally and in the area frequently, something that never happened with the faculty at my old school. Tallahassee is a nice city, not a big music scene but there are several places to play. So all in all I'm looking forward to the new job and change of scenery- I'm going to miss many of my KC friends, but this change is just what I need.

So now I've got the next two weeks to pack and get ready for the movers on July 16th.