Favorite Monk playing (not compositions)

Guy Berger

I'm trying to pay more attention to Monk's playing these days, and was wondering what your favorite Monk playing/improvisations are? Individual tracks, not albums. (We all know his compositions are great.)

For starters, how about the version of "The Man I Love" from Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants where Monk starts out his solo by playing the melody at half-time (relative to the rhythm section), stops in the middle, and then after a nudge from Miles, he finishes with an incredibly inspired run of ideas.

I'm looking forward to listening to your recommendations.

Guy

ps Bonus: If there are any tracks that you feel feature unusually inspired comping by Monk, include them as well!

Edited by Guy

A couple that come to mind immediately.

I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) from Monk Plays Ellington Ellington's songs are really well suited to varied interpretations including Monk's. One of my all time favorites. Needs no explanation to appreciate.

Rhythm-A-Ning from Monk In Paris

Extremely twisted solo, and I mean that in the best possible way. Nice arc to the overall solo, starts busy with a lot of forward motion and gradually becomes more sparse and stripped down, with just a few jabs at chords. Ends with a forceful thump of a chord which sounds like a door slamming. When your done, your done right? :D

The way Monk soloed on Rhythm A Ning was really a trip. Monk must of liked what he was doing himself, as he repeated the same approach at many different concerts.

I listened to the 1961 Stockholm concert not long ago, and was epecially struck (again) by Monk's solo on Jackie-ing.

Monk could play incredible solos on anything.

As someone who was introduced to Monk through his Columbia recordings, I have a few favorites of that later vintage... the "master" solo takes of Ruby, My Dear and Round Midnight are a big reason why I'm in this music. Also, count me as a fan of Live at the It Club and Underground. And then there's Straight, No Chaser, which few people seem to like, but which I feel contains some of his strongest studio work in later years (his comping/articulation behind Charlie Rouse on "Locomotive" is unbelievable).

Edited by ep1str0phy

Never having seen Monk play I am particularly fascinated by his playing on the recent Jazz Icons DVD. Somehow it's given me a whole new appreciation of his playing. (Not that I didn't enjoy it before but this is priceless!)

When I type on the keyboard I resemble Monk quite a bit. Fingers a flyin, elbows all over the place, hesitation, adamant outburst of strange words.....

Edited by Scott Dolan