The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

And to think the Rockies "hot stove" season began with them looking to trade Helton to the Red Sox.

Of all the stories this season in baseball, they just weren't on the radar. In July it was the oh-so-tight AL races, with the surprising Seattle Mariners (okay, west coast perspective here!), the Yankees climbing back up in the standings, Detroit vs. Cleveland, with Detroit once in the hunt for the best record. Most of the close races fell apart in the AL sooner than I thought. In mid-summer the NL had great races too, though it all seems cock-eyed in retrospect. The Mets were the sure thing, the Dodgers were in 1st in the west and when Teix got traded to Atlanta the thinking was that that enhanced their shot at the wild card. In September our attention got diverted to the great Met collapse & streaking Phillies, and if you did look over at the West you might go "oh, I guess Colorado still hasn't been knocked out yet," but the Padres & Phils seemed the more logical wild card possibilities even in the final days.

Just another long-winded way of saying how strange all of this is.

I was looking over the Rockies pitching staff and noticed their #3 had only won 8 games and was wondering if that was some sort of record in futility, but quickly discovered the last Indian pennant winning team had the same total (Jaret Wright and Chad Ogea). Not sure if there are others.

8 days until the World Series. Sheeeeeeeeeeesh!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Rockies are damn-near unstoppable. Another sweep! If I was either the Indians or the Sox, I'd be just a little concerned. Whoa!

Always reason for concern, but Colorado sitting on their asses is not going to help them.

I expect either team team from the AL to be a tough opponent and I do believe it will be Cleveland.

The Rockies are damn-near unstoppable. Another sweep! If I was either the Indians or the Sox, I'd be just a little concerned. Whoa!

Always reason for concern, but Colorado sitting on their asses is not going to help them.

I expect either team team from the AL to be a tough opponent and I do believe it will be Cleveland.

If it's Cleveland in the WS it's the 8th year in a row with a different WS champ.

If it's Cleveland in the WS it's the 8th year in a row with a different WS champ.

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right :cool:

TBH, I think a Cle'lan vs Rockies match-up would be fun to watch, personally.

Cle'lan has the pitching, Rocks have the hitting.

Either way, it's all good.

The only thing that might cool off the Rockies is a week long layoff. But I don't see anyone beating them the way they are playing right now.

I'd like to see a Cleveland/Colorado WS and I think it will happen. However, I'm wondering if that match up would be a ratings disaster. I would really like to see the Indians win it all. When was the last time they won it, 1945???

Yes, its been a long, long time for Cleveland.

The only thing that might cool off the Rockies is a week long layoff. But I don't see anyone beating them the way they are playing right now.

I'd like to see a Cleveland/Colorado WS and I think it will happen. However, I'm wondering if that match up would be a ratings disaster. I would really like to see the Indians win it all. When was the last time they won it, 1945???

Yes, its been a long, long time for Cleveland.

Judging by the last two games, and the way they're playing tonight, I'd say this is the year. :tup

Well, is Manny Delcarmen the chief goat of this pathetic bunch of losers? If he does his job in game 2, Timlin, Okajima and Papelbon were lined up to keep a 1 run lead, but he pissed that away, and now he turned a 3 run deficit into a seven run deficit today.

Dollars to donuts that Lester will give back the three runs they just scored. Watch it happen ....

edit to say that I expect my team to win, but I have no faith whatsoever. You philosophers can try to figure that out.

Edited by Dan Gould

What pisses me off is that "Cleveland Rocks!" repeated refrain at every commercial break.

I mean, WTF? Fox is supposed to broadcast the game not promote for a possible match-up between the Rockies and Indians.

Such bullshit.

Why does GoodSpeak hate Ian Hunter? :g

and just how much is Hasbro kickin' in for that "TRANSFORMERS" thing every replay!?

... livin' in sin with a safety pin ...

Stick a fork in Boston, they're done.

Beckett's the only chance, right? No doubt he's hoping for rain.

I bet Sabathia is pissed from his first game showing and if Betancourt comes in apres Perez and tosses the same shit (as in good shit) as he did last night then indeed they are

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

What pisses me off is that "Cleveland Rocks!" repeated refrain at every commercial break.

I mean, WTF? Fox is supposed to broadcast the game not promote for a possible match-up between the Rockies and Indians.

Such bullshit.

Isn't that music coming from the Stadium not Fox? That's what I heard at the Jake the last time I went.

Such bullshit.

Isn't that music coming from the Stadium not Fox? That's what I heard at the Jake the last time I went.

Is FOX still broadcasting it....?

Such bullshit.

no, the golf channel

Despite appearances, I still think this is going back to Boston.

Me too. Beckett is lights out. Unfortunately for Red Sox Nation he can't pitch game 6 or 7.

Can I get some of whatever shit you're smoking? You heard it here first:

Beckett will last five innings and give up 7 runs, most of them coming on two crushing home runs.

Sabathia will throw eight innings of 1 run ball.

The Red Sox will have a nice quiet plane ride home.

dan = super duper pissed

:crazy:

You have no idea - but you'll find out after this abomination is over.

I am not rubbing it in on Dan. We Tribe fans know his pain and he has been very gracious in his comments about the Tribe.

Oh sure, go ahead and call me gracious. I guess I'll have to rethink my post-ALCS comments.

;)

BoSox in five

Another brilliant prediction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so....I would be batting well over .500 at this point. My prediction supports a Red Sox victory and the Rockies have already won the NLCS.

If I was a baseball player, I'd be making millions of dollars right now.

:P

Edited by GoodSpeak

Such bullshit.

no, the golf channel

Um...huh? :blink: