The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and why do you think this was a-rod's last atbat for the yankees? you really think they're going to send him somewhere? ples.

Are you completely ignorant of what has been talked about all season long?

Here's a clue: its called an opt-out clause, and Scott Boras doesn't put it into his client's contracts unless he expects them to exercise it. The possibilities are these:

A-Rod signs an extension with the Yankees without actually exercising the opt-out clause. It has the advantage for the Yankees of keeping the Texas owner on the hook for his share of A-Rod's salary for the next three years.

A-Rod ignores the money that is on the table and simply chooses not to use the clause, plays out the remaining three years of his deal, and becomes a free agent at 35. This makes zero sense because right now his value is the highest it will ever be. There is more money in the game, and more teams that would bid on him, and he is only 32 and is coming off one of the greatest offensive seasons in this or any era. Being a free agent at 35 would make it tougher to get a big money, long contract.

A-Rod opts out, and then the Yankees have to decide whether to stick to their guns and refuse to join the bidding, or realize that they desperately need his right handed bat, and do what it takes to re-sign him, knowing that the Red Sox, Angels, and possibly Mariners, Giants and Cubs will be in on the bidding and they won't have Texas' money to defray the cost.

I agree with the points Dan lists here, I don't see any Boras client not opting out. Besides, why should ARod stay with the Yankees? unless a really major overhaul takes place, I don't see the Yankees getting any better next year, in fact, they'll probably struggle even to get into the playoff in 2008. Can you imagine the treatment ARod would get in that situation? All of New York booing your every move? I wouldn't be surprised to see ARod wind up with the Cubs.

Edited by Matthew

What a boring post season.

Three sweeps and the Yankees hanging on a by a thread.

Not for Cleveland fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And were we watching the same series, except for the Game 1 massacre, the games have been close.

Congrats on the win. If you don't mind, I will now jump on the Indians bandwagon. :cool:

I realize some of the games were close, maybe it was just Tony Gwynn getting under my skin.

Gwynn is annoying. At one point I think the other two announcers were seeing how many ways Gwynn would rephrase the same comment about how Bobby Abreu got the majority of his hits during the regular season with two strikes.

Edited by Noj

Gwynn is annoying. At one point I think the other two announcers were seeing how many ways Gwynn he would rephrase the same comment about how Bobby Abreu got the majority of his hits during the regular season with two strikes.

hehe :P

He sounds like he should be doing commentary for one of those rodeo bull riders events.

And were we watching the same series, except for the Game 1 massacre, the games have been close.

Congrats on the win. If you don't mind, I will now jump on the Indians bandwagon. :cool:

I realize some of the games were close, maybe it was just Tony Gwynn getting under my skin.

Hey, don't worry about the Yankees next year, they'll be getting Carl Pavano back!

I get so tired of ESPN's pro-NY bias. On the radio, they sounded downright disappointed that their beloved Yankees had just lost. No celebration for Cleveland or anything like that. Just, "Swing and a miss, and the ball game is over." Like it was some kind of late August game by two teams in dead last.

Sunday night's game, they were going apeshit that NY was winning. Last night, they were so subdued, I thought they had slipped into a coma.

Can you imagine how much these a-holes would be juicing their undies if Cleveland struck out swinging, giving the series to NY? Fucking assholes, these shitheads at ESPN. <_<:angry:

OK.

Um...Guys?

I think at this point we need to ackowledge the best and most competitive division in the MLB: The NL West.

D'backs vs. Rockies for the right to play in the WS.

In short, the NL West is, in fact, the best. ^_^

Your baseball analysis has been shown to be lacking. Hope you are not in the forecasting business.

Apparently, you haven't been following the National League for the past month.

The lead changed multiple times in the NL West and the deciding game for the Wildcard was a playoff between San Diego and Colorado with Arizona already the NL West Champs. Any one of those three teams could have won the West. LA hung around untill the Giants knocked them out of first place back on September 9th.

AZ and Colorado sweep Philly and the Cubs respectively and now meet to decide who goes to the World Series.

Now, I don't know what you're seeing, but that sure as hell looks like very competitive division to me.

Sure hope you aren't in the sporting news business.

Edited by GoodSpeak

OK.

Um...Guys?

I think at this point we need to ackowledge the best and most competitive division in the MLB: The NL West.

Your baseball analysis has been shown to be lacking. Hope you are not in the forecasting business.

Hm.

I called the Rockies, D'backs and Red Sox.

Gee, Skeith...3 out of 4 sounds like pretty good odds forcasting wise. Don't you think?

OK.

Um...Guys?

Hm.

Gee, Skeith...3 out of 4 sounds like pretty good odds forcasting wise. Don't you think?

I was reacting to your dis of Cleveland as well a your prediction of a Yankee win.

You said that Cleveland was just happy to be there - Cleveland won its division - the Yankees did not. And at the end of the regular season, Cleveland tied for the best record in baseball with the Red Sox and goes without saying had a better record than either the Rockies or D'Backs - Cleveland with 2 potential Cy Young candidates - need I go on?

So how you can say that Cleveland is just happy to be there is beyond me.

Welcome aboard Catesta, as a former Clevelander, you are entitled.

OK.

Um...Guys?

Hm.

I was reacting to your dis of Cleveland as well a your prediction of a Yankee win.

You said that Cleveland was just happy to be there - Cleveland won its division - the Yankees did not. And at the end of the regular season, Cleveland tied for the best record in baseball with the Red Sox and goes without saying had a better record than either the Rockies or D'Backs - Cleveland with 2 potential Cy Young candidates - need I go on?

OK.

So I got one out of four wrong. Big deal.

Sue me.

Well, some weird news from Yankee Stadium. According to the Boston Globe, they are threatening to cut off media access to the stadium unless they cease and desist the swarm they've got at Torre's Westchester county home. Apparently they've been assigned the Torre firing watch, which is really silly. Something is going to be announced at the Stadium. You have camp out at his home to cover the story? :blink:

Meantime, the first important news about the ALCS: Francona has announced the pitching rotation, and once again he is making the correct call. There is yet another extra off day built into the schedule, in between Games 4 and 5 (there's a travel day between 5 and 6 as always). Bottom line, usually the Game 3 starter is lined up to go in Game 7. So, Francona has switched Schilling and Dice-K again. Schilling goes in Game 2 and can go in Game 7 on seven days rest. Dice-K goes in Game 3, on the road where he has pitched better this season, and can go in Game 6 on regular rest.

This is absolutely perfect. Dice on the road for the first start, Schilling lined up to start Game 7 - or Game 1 of the Series if we can get past the Tribe quicker.

Fwiw, Lester and Wakefield will be bullpen buddies, throwing on the same day, with Wakefield penciled in for Game 4 if his back is OK, Lester to go otherwise.

Well, some weird news from Yankee Stadium. According to the Boston Globe, they are threatening to cut off media access to the stadium unless they cease and desist the swarm they've got at Torre's Westchester county home. Apparently they've been assigned the Torre firing watch, which is really silly. Something is going to be announced at the Stadium. You have camp out at his home to cover the story? :blink:

Meantime, the first important news about the ALCS: Francona has announced the pitching rotation, and once again he is making the correct call. There is yet another extra off day built into the schedule, in between Games 4 and 5 (there's a travel day between 5 and 6 as always). Bottom line, usually the Game 3 starter is lined up to go in Game 7. So, Francona has switched Schilling and Dice-K again. Schilling goes in Game 2 and can go in Game 7 on seven days rest. Dice-K goes in Game 3, on the road where he has pitched better this season, and can go in Game 6 on regular rest.

This is absolutely perfect. Dice on the road for the first start, Schilling lined up to start Game 7 - or Game 1 of the Series if we can get past the Tribe quicker.

Fwiw, Lester and Wakefield will be bullpen buddies, throwing on the same day, with Wakefield penciled in for Game 4 if his back is OK, Lester to go otherwise.

Dan

Am I correct in that there are games Friday and Saturday, no game on Sunday. Game 3 is Monday night

OK.

Um...Guys?

Hm.

OK.

Sue me.

Ok

Look sorry, while I was a bit offended at your off-handed dismissal of the Tribe, I had initially meant for some of my comments to be a good natured ribbing of you. I see that they were not taken that way and things went downhill . I am sorry.

You be right....

A M E R I C A N L E A G U E

Game Matchup Day Date Time ET TV

Gm 1 CLE @ BOS Fri Oct. 12 7 pm FOX

Gm 2 CLE @ BOS Sat Oct. 13 8 pm FOX

Gm 3 BOS @ CLE Mon Oct. 15 7 pm FOX

Gm 4 BOS @ CLE Tue Oct. 16 8 pm FOX

Gm 5* BOS @ CLE Thu Oct. 18 8 pm FOX

Gm 6* CLE @ BOS Sat Oct. 20 TBD FOX

Gm 7* CLE @ BOS Sun Oct. 21 TBD FOX

* - if necessary

OK.

Um...Guys?

Hm.

OK.

Sue me.

Ok

Look sorry, while I was a bit offended at your off-handed dismissal of the Tribe, I had initially meant for some of my comments to be a good natured ribbing of you. I see that they were not taken that way and things went downhill . I am sorry.

I think was skeith actually means here is, SEE YOU IN COURT!!! :P

OK.

Um...Guys?

Hm.

OK.

Sue me.

Ok

No problem.

It's tough to gage somebody when you can't see them face-to-face, ya know?

I screw up that way all the time...it's a big club. :)

Don't worry about it, OK?

Edited by GoodSpeak

OK.

Um...Guys?

Hm.

OK.

Sue me.

Ok

I think was skeith actually means here is, SEE YOU IN COURT!!! :P

Yer killin' me :lol:

OK.

Um...Guys?

Hm.

OK.

Sue me.

Ok

No problem.

It's tough to gage somebody when you can't see them face-to-face, ya know?

I screw up that way all the time...it's a big club. :)

Don't worry about it, OK?

I think was GoodSpeak actually means here, is GO FUCK YOURSELF, IT'S ON!!!!

You be right....

A M E R I C A N L E A G U E

Game Matchup Day Date Time ET TV

Gm 1 CLE @ BOS Fri Oct. 12 7 pm FOX

Gm 2 CLE @ BOS Sat Oct. 13 8 pm FOX

Gm 3 BOS @ CLE Mon Oct. 15 7 pm FOX

Gm 4 BOS @ CLE Tue Oct. 16 8 pm FOX

Gm 5* BOS @ CLE Thu Oct. 18 8 pm FOX

Gm 6* CLE @ BOS Sat Oct. 20 TBD FOX

Gm 7* CLE @ BOS Sun Oct. 21 TBD FOX

* - if necessary

Its the usual 7 game series schedule - 2 games - travel day - three games - travel day - last two, except for that odd day off in between 4 and 5. Its kind of ironic that they have Six and Seven scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, since they added all of these off days in order to get the World Series off of the supposedly smaller audience weekend games. Too bad since I fully expect that if it goes to seven games, those last two will be the best of the post-season.