The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd rather travel to Cleveland than LA, and we all know how LA has the Yankees number.

It never used to be like that, Dan.

Recovering Angel fan here.

They are the only team in the Torre era with a winning record against them, and they have never lost a post-season series to them in that time period. Good enough for me.

Fair enough.

I gave up on the Angels shortly after Gene Mauch had to prove to the World, yet again, that he can't win the big one back in 1986. Pulling Witt for an injured Donnie Moore then replacing him with Urbano "Fucking" Lugo has to go down in MLB history as the Queen Mother of all Fuck Ups. What a moron.

After they traded Wally Joiner for JT Snow who, after one year, was subsequently sent packing to my NL team the Giants [thankyouverymuch] to make room for Dave "I can't hit my hat size" Parker, I was officially a one team fan: The San Francisco Giants.

Then they had the gall to beat my Giants in the 2002 WS.

I still grit my teeth over Game 6.

Grrrrrrr :angry:

I'd rather travel to Cleveland than LA, and we all know how LA has the Yankees number.

They are the only team in the Torre era with a winning record against them, and they have never lost a post-season series to them in that time period. Good enough for me.

Fair enough.

I gave up on the Angels shortly after Gene Mauch had to prove to the World, yet again, that he can't win the big one back in 1986. Pulling Witt for an injured Donnie Moore then replacing him with Urbano "Fucking" Lugo has to go down in MLB history as the Queen Mother of all Fuck Ups. What a moron.

After they traded Wally Joiner for JT Snow who, after one year, was subsequently sent packing to my NL team the Giants [thankyouverymuch] to make room for Dave "I can't hit my hat size" Parker, I was officially a one team fan: The San Francisco Giants.

Holy crap! Gene Mauch and Dusty Baker! You must follow teams for their quality, clutch managers.... :lol:

Edited by Matthew

Fair enough.

Holy crap! Gene Mauch and Dusty Baker! You must follow teams for their quality, clutch managers.... :lol:

It's worse than that....I'm a California baseball junkie. [Well, except for the [hated] dodgers....I wouldn't root for them at gun point.] I can't help myself.

But I can tell you this: I have seen enough bad baseball to last two lifetimes.

Grrrrrr :angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak

Fair enough.

It's worse then that....I'm a California baseball junkie. I can't help myself.

I know what you mean, I've spent most of my life going between Nor/SoCal, so I follow all the Cali teams, especially the three NL teams. I was in Berkeley from 1984-1990, and I went to the 'Stick many a freezing night. Can't count all the terrible Padre games I watched growing up in San Diego, and lived in L.A. a lot also, so I've been to Dodger Stadium numerous times, and it's still my favorite park, though, I have to admit that I do have a soft place in my heart for Candlestick, I liked attending games there.

Edited by Matthew

Fair enough.

It's worse then that....I'm a California baseball junkie. I can't help myself.

I know what you mean, I've spent most of my life going between Nor/SoCal, so I follow all the Cali teams, especially the three NL teams. I was in Berkeley from 1984-1990, and I went to the 'Stick many a freezing night. Can't count all the terrible Padre games I watched growing up in San Diego, and lived in L.A. a lot also, so I've been to Dodger Stadium numerous times, and it's still my favorite park, though, I have to admit that I do have a soft place in my heart for Candlestick, I liked attending games there.

I always liked the 'Stick, too.

But I will say that the parking is a absolute joke. For Niners games I take the CalTrain or the SF Muni to get there. Took me nearly two hours to get out of that parking lot after a Niners game a couple years ago and I decided enough is enough.

PacBell/SoBell/ATT Corporate Money Pit Park is a breath of fresh air, parking wise. Though I take the BART or the SF Muni or the CalTrain or walk [depending on where I stay] most days.

PS: GHF -- I'm really starting to dig your man's touch on the keyboard. You still have your Three Sounds collection?

Me not listening to Gene Harris is about as likely as me not caring about baseball anymore.

Good! I Like how he just says what he wants to and gets out -- no fuss, no muss, classy all the way -- and swings like mad. Honestly, there can't be too many people who have the complete recordings of TTS. Too bad Cuscuna never came to your way of thinking on a full-blown Mosaic.

Dan:

Your nightmare scenario is coming up. Yanks two out. Prediction: Yanks win 5 of next 6 while Sox split next 6. Tie for AL East winner goes to Yanks on the basis of head to head competition. :rolleyes:

Yeah, with Rocket and Kennedy shut down for the rest of the season and Igawa starting tonight and possibly Sunday too. :unsure:

We'll see how that works out for ya. :rolleyes:

edit:

Oh, and Manny is back tonight and Youk should start Wednesday.

Edited by Dan Gould

I've watched Papelbon glare in at the batter like he stole his lunch money, but its always been the side view. Well here's what the batter gets to see courtesy of SI (which has a good piece about Paps up on the website):

1190753807_3880.jpg

Maybe not quite Al "the Mad Hungarian" Hrabosky, but its close. :g

BTW, no note is being made that this is the cover of SI and the silliness that some people believe in.

BTW, no note is being made that this is the cover of SI and the silliness that some people believe in.

...Wasn't going to mention that. ;)

But I will encourage all these rags to keep focusing on those big market teams. In Yankee currency that Indians payroll of $61.3M does not even get you A-Rod, Giambi, and Mussina. Bosox bucks stretch a little further--Manny, Drew, Clement, Schilling and Lugo.

I always thought it silly, but 6ish years ago on the day that issue arrived about the jinx with a black cat on the cover was the day my cat died.

Face it, your team has had it! ;)

Edited by Quincy