The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

Just think if they could have dropped 10k on the 4th of July. Would have ranked up there with Tim McCarver's "grand slam" double on the bicentennial.

Huh???? :huh: I am far to young to remember Tim McCarver as Steve Carlton's personal catcher, and playing with the Phillies....but, anyway, I still don't know what you are talking about! ^_^

Actually it was a "grand slam" single. It was a game winning HR but he passed Gary Maddux on the basepath (Phils still won as McCarver's run wasn't needed for victory.) When asked how he could have let that happen he said "sheer speed." :lol:

That's friggin' hilarious. The local papers have been running "infamous losses" type stories lately but I haven't heard about that one before.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rangers on an incredible run right now, which I attribute to four things:

1) Sammy hittin' #600 (they're 11-5 since (and including) that game)

2) Mark Texeira and Ian Kinsler on the DL (the first one is overrated, as he only hits when the game is outta reach; the second is greener than the Triple-A guys who are taking their places)

3) Brad Wilkerson FINALLY hitting the ball! The cat's been on fire the last few days!

4) Starting pitchers actually going at least six innings! Unbelieveable! Unheard of in April and May!

I hope this means a permanent turnaround. I won't hold my breath, but it sure has been fun being a Ranger fan lately! :)

Are there any plans for when you roll over the odometer? A wake or big party? Is Selig following the team to be there in person? :)

It's kind of like Biggio possibly breaking the HBP record. How exactly does one "celebrate" it?

Oh well, I'm sure you'll find a way. Um, good luck! Er...

Edited by Quincy

anyone gonna watch the bronx is burning on espn?

looks kinda good

yeah :tup

If I can keep my eyes open tonight, probably. But I don't know why they are running it so late. I've heard about how great the performances are supposed to be but I hope the guy playing Reggie Jackson does an especially great job because from the clips they've been showing, he looks a minimum of sixty pounds lighter.

Has anyone noticed that Roger Clemens has pitched 8 innings in back to back starts, and given up only one run in each start as well??? I told you folks! He can still pitch, and once he got through playing those rough and tough NL hitters, and back to pitching against the weak, girly man AL hitters, he'd be alright! ^_^ Still too little too late it appears.....

Has anyone noticed that Roger Clemens has pitched 8 innings in back to back starts, and given up only one run in each start as well??? I told you folks! He can still pitch, and once he got through playing those rough and tough NL hitters, and back to pitching against the weak, girly man AL hitters, he'd be alright! ^_^ Still too little too late it appears.....

It will take a helluva lot more than two decent starts to convince me.

Why doesn't Gary Sheffield have the steroid stigma that Bonds, McGuire, Sosa and Giambi have??? Now he's bashing Torre, saying he treated African-American players differently than whites and Latinos. Good grief. Of course, any time Torre called him out, it wasn't because he was a player that quit on purpose to get traded from Milwaukee, and burned the bridges with every team he has ever played for. It was because of his skin color. You always hear Jeter talking about how Torre didn't treat him right based on his race(Well, Sheff said he wasn't black enough, didn't he?)

All I know is Sheff chokes when the games matter. For the Braves, he hit .063 in the 2002 playoffs, and .143 in 2003....Didn't he go hitless the last 4 games against Boston when they won the AL Pennant????

Whenever you consider what Sheffield says, this should be remembered:

Newsday reported that Sheffield "began the (HBO) interview by saying 'I tell myself every offseason I'm not going to say anything crazy. I'm just going to have a peaceful season.

"Can't do it. I'm cut from a different cloth."