The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

Another save for Cordero.

Brewers back to 10 games over .500.

I know none of you give a crap (obsessed as you are with the Red Sox, Yankees, etc.), but I find it kind of intriguing. :cool::P

Are you kidding? I'm thrilled the Brew-crew are having a banner year! I'm even more excited for Coco, proving once again that any pitcher that gets out of the incompetence of the Rangers "organization" always flourishes.

Yeah, I am happy for them, in spite of it being Selig's team! ^_^

Dan, this might be the best team against an AL team. They have a fair bit of offense, and Yovani Gallardo just made his first career start, and looked pretty good. So along with Ben Sheets, Jeff Suppan, and Claudio Vargas they have decent starting pitching as well. Sheets and Cordero have to stay healthy for them to have any chance though. But, I guess that is true will most teams, isn't it? If Beckett and Dice-k got hurt in Sept, how far would the Sox get in the playoffs?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sammy Sosa hits #600 tonight, and we were all there to see it!!!! :excited:

Hey, that's great!!!! :)

Thanks! Now that I've had time to take it all in, I can tell you that amidst all the anticipation, all of the past (behavior problems, steroid accusations, etc) seem to disappear in the electric atmosphere that surrounded every one of Sosa's at-bats. My son and I, our seats were down the first base line, but we had wandered over to the Kids Park out in the CF bleachers; when Sosa came to bat, he and I parked ourselves in a spot where we could see the field. Every pitch that went to Sosa was accompanied by a sea of flickering camera flashes, which looked VERY cool to this little-kid-in-an-old-man's-body. Naturally, we all went bananas when the HR was actually hit and the two curtain calls were very cool. (My 20-year-old daughter had gone with a friend, and they were sitting 27 rows behind home-plate for the game. I will envy her for the rest of my life!)

(I should add here that we had tickets to this game long before we found out this might be the game that Sammy notched #600. We're also Cubs fans, so to see our two favorite teams on the same field guaranteed that the team we like would win!)

And yes, Sammy's quest for Reggie's K record also notched another last night as well.

We were driving home listening to the press conference, and I wish I hadn't. Sammy was grateful, but it sounded forced, and every now and then he would talk about "his legacy" and how "people will remember me" and stuff like that. What a turnoff.

Still, being able to share that baseball moment with my family (my wife and my folks were with us as well) is something I'll treasure for the rest of my life.

Edited by Big Al

Another save for Cordero.

Brewers back to 10 games over .500.

I know none of you give a crap (obsessed as you are with the Red Sox, Yankees, etc.), but I find it kind of intriguing. :cool::P

Are you kidding? I'm thrilled the Brew-crew are having a banner year! I'm even more excited for Coco, proving once again that any pitcher that gets out of the incompetence of the Rangers "organization" always flourishes.

Yeah, I am happy for them, in spite of it being Selig's team! ^_^

He sold it off in 2004. And magically the team started making progress towards being a winner. Go figure! :lol:

Apparently he said that his splitter was moving east-west instead of north-south (which happens to be the same explanation Schilling gave for one of his bad starts). 1-2 on the year and he hasn't even faced an AL team yet. Ya gotta love it.

Hey Berigan,

You're lucky and my team is lucky. The Braves and the Mets are two of the more inept teams out there. Nobody can get out of their way. Sad. What the hell happened: talent ain't just there for each of us right now. Hey, at least the Mets didn't lose tonight; they didn't play!

Apparently he said that his splitter was moving east-west instead of north-south (which happens to be the same explanation Schilling gave for one of his bad starts). 1-2 on the year and he hasn't even faced an AL team yet. Ya gotta love it.

I read this too quickly.

Thought it said spitter.

Hey Berigan,

You're lucky and my team is lucky. The Braves and the Mets are two of the more inept teams out there. Nobody can get out of their way. Sad. What the hell happened: talent ain't just there for each of us right now. Hey, at least the Mets didn't lose tonight; they didn't play!

Yes Brad,our teams are! I know fans on both sides realise a golden opportunity has been lost with both teams sucking so. I think we are 8-12 for the month, and went from 4 1/2 to 1 1/2 games out! :blink: Do you wonder if the Marlins will come on strong like they did last year, and blow the rest of the division away? They just beat up the White Sox, and we all know how great...oh wait, they suck this year, never mind! ^_^ Phillies are interesting, but if Myers and Gordon are out long/can't come back, they are toast.

I just fear the "braintrust" of the Braves trading "Salty" for some lame soft tossing 3rd or 4th starter, then losing the lame guy after the season. Meanwhile, Jarrod will hit 25-30 homers for the White Sox, or whomever. Anyone you fear losing in an trade for pitching?

My word is gold! He will be fine this year, bank on it! ;) Seriously, the splitter was doing nothing at all in Colorado, and Tim Kurkjian said he had a history of not pitching well there, then didn't give any numbers to back it up. :rolleyes:

My word is gold! He will be fine this year, bank on it! ;) Seriously, the splitter was doing nothing at all in Colorado, and Tim Kurkjian said he had a history of not pitching well there, then didn't give any numbers to back it up. :rolleyes:

At Coors: 4 starts, 21 innings, 25 hits, 6 HR, 9 BB, 22 K. 4.71 ERA, 1.62 WHIP. BAA .298.

Well, moving on to the future and forgetting about the past, I am actually kind of encouraged about this coming weekend series the Yanks have with the Giants. I mean, this will be the only time of the year I will hope that the Giants win, and what better time to do it than after a seven game losing streak? I mean, every game a team loses in a row has to increase the likelihood they'll win the next one, right? Of course, I thought that the Mets would get healthy against the Yanks and look where that got me. But still, the Giants are at home, the Yanks aren't a very good road team, if the Giants have anything going for them its decent starters, so I'll hold out hope that they can take two of three and keep the Bombers treading water or falling further behind.

Meanwhile, I have to say that I most prefer tonight's matchup against the Padres, Dice vs Maddux. Don't get me wrong, I admire Maddux enormously. But he has reached the point where he has to be absolutely perfect in order to be successful, and compared to Young and Peavey, he's not nearly as difficult to hit. We've done well against just about every top team we've faced so far, this will be a good test with our best three (available) pitchers going.

Just sucks that all the games start at 10 PM except for Sunday. :crazy:

Now that I check out some stats, I think if the Sox pitching does its job, the Padres will have a very hard time. They've got exactly one regular hitting above .275, Gonzales at .295. The Sox have five starters at .299 or better (even if one of Youk, Lowell and Papi will have to sit in each game)! And we've got three excellent starters going - Dice carries a 1.80 ERA in June; no one in the NL sees a knuckleball very often; and we all know how Beckett has pitched this year. The odds may not favor it but I could definitely see one or two shutouts this weekend if the bullpen does its job.

No storybook return in his home state for Jon Lester. The Sox announced that Kason Gabbard, who pitched very well in the spring and won a spot start vs the Braves when Beckett was on the DL, will get the call on Tuesday. Not really surprising considering how well he's pitched for the Paw Sox:

In Pawtucket, he is 7-2 with a 3.24 ERA. He has not allowed more than two earned runs in any of his last four starts. In 25 innings, he has given up eight runs, an ERA of 2.88.

Not bad for a kid who was flying below everyone's radar last year at AA, they were forced to call him up after all the injuries and got some decent performances from him and he got an important lesson: throw strikes, and you can succeed. Now he looks like a legit prospect, certainly a back of the rotation starter, maybe a number 3 guy at the high end.

Hey!

The Giants actually win a game....and against the damn yankees.

A rookie shall lead us in the 13th.

[Gee....isn't that A-Rod's number?]

How about that [my apologies to Mel Allen, RIP].

:P

Edited by GoodSpeak

Hey!

The Giants actually win a game....and against the damn yankees.

A rookie shall lead us in the 13th.

[Gee....isn't that A-Rod's number?]

How about that [my apologies to Mel Allen, RIP].

:P

Yeah, well, thanks for helping me go to sleep with no worries while the Sox are in progress against the Padres. What say we try to make it two in a row tomorrow? With Mussina on the mound and the entire Yankee bullpen used today, you ought to be able to get to them for a few runs, if your pitcher can do his job just a little bit.

MOTHER FUCKING CHRIST! :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad:

Back-to-back 1 run losses to the fucking Rangers? No offense, Al, but there's no fucking excuse to lose games like that to that pitching staff at Fenway.

I told a friend that I thought that with the Yankees facing the A's, Twins and Angels, we could put them 15 games back at the break. Not going to happen if we keep fucking around like this.

Now, GO M'S, KEEP BEATING THE BLUE JAYS!

I guess I'll live with a 10.5 game lead but it sucks when it ought to be 12 or 13.

Now, GO M'S, KEEP BEATING THE BLUE JAYS!

Thanks for that. Such a shame the board was down during the BoSox visit to Safeco. :)

Has a manager ever resigned due to "lost passion" during such a winning streak? I'm kind of relived, as I've always felt the M's could do better than Hargrove. Of course they could (and have) done worse too, so I wasn't anxious to have him fired. Still, kind of a weird thing to happen to your team, especially as they're a contender, as improbable as it seems. It may just be a summertime fling, but I'm going to enjoy it!

Back-to-back 1 run losses to the fucking Rangers? No offense, Al, but there's no fucking excuse to lose games like that to that pitching staff at Fenway.

Ah, pipe down; you still got one game left to salvage. :P Now, if we win that one, I may have a coronary. But, you know, it's always been like this: no matter how bad the Rangers are, they somehow miraculously beat the teams they're supposed to lose to! Not consistently, mind you; but enough to make it maddening that they can't do this more often!