The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would be so much easier to deal with the suspense if we weren't ahead only because Papi hit a homer in the first inning.

I've been "watching" through the MLB Gameday software but I'm trying to decide whether or not to switch to the Gameday audio feed to hear Joe Castiglione with the call. You know how you don't want to shift positions on the couch for fear of "jinxing" your team? Same thing. Plus, the feed is slower than Gameday, which is also behind by a moment or two. ESPN News has the updated out total faster than any of them.

It's all my fault!

AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!

Thank God Curt got the last out to end the losing streak.

Should be real interesting to see his comments about the start on his blog later today or tomorrow. 38pitches.com

Speaking of, three starts ago when he got utterly destroyed, I posted on his board to the effect that he is pathetic, if he thinks he's an ace he's got another think coming, and that I thank God Theo didn't give him his extension.

Funny thing is that if you take out his starts against the Yankees, he's actually been outstanding against everyone else, a BAA near .200, ERA in the low 2s as well. This start only helps those numbers.

Break out the Hoover..... Phils sweep the Mets at Shea!

NEW YORK (AP) -- Chase Utley, Pat Burrell, Jimmy Rollins and the Philadelphia Phillies swept their way back into the NL East race.

Utley delivered the go-ahead hit in extra innings for the second time in three days after Burrell tied it in the ninth with a solo homer off Billy Wagner, and Philadelphia beat the New York Mets 6-3 in 10 innings Thursday night to complete a three-game sweep.

:party:

Well, with the Yankees crawling back toward near-respectability (winners of 7 of 8; only three games under .500 and 5 1/2 back of Detroit for the Wild Card, and Clemens set to return today) will we see the return of the Yankee fan contingent?

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that JD Drew will take his big night (2 HR, a double and a career high seven RBI) and start performing like he was supposed to all along. Timlin is reactivated today and it looks like JC Romero is the odd man out. A fairly decent ERA but Romero had a WHIP of 1.9 and a BAA of over .300, and there was hardly a difference between lefties and righties. With Javy Lopez the only pitcher with a minor league option, I was afraid they'd send him down instead so I am glad that they recognized who is the better pitcher. I would think that Romero still have value on the trade market, and they've got ten days to trade him or release him.

The interesting question now is what they will do when Lester is brought up (I still can't believe they are having him make more rehab starts, he's got an ERA under 1.5 against AAA lineups!). If they send Lopez down that leaves Okajima as the only lefty in the pen (and Kyle Snyder has excellent splits against LH hitters). Personally I don't see how they can make that move. I'd figure on Piniero or Tavarez getting traded when that happens and hopefully it will be Piniero, who hasn't exactly been overwhelming out of the pen, while Tavarez has that rubber arm and is just happy to have a job. Plus, the fans have started to appreciate what a nutty character he is - as long as he's not put in for high-leverage situations, I think he'll be effective and not incur the fan's wrath.

What do you think, Zen?

Garcia is routed by Royals

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/200706..._to_Royals.html

And though he had lost some velocity on his fastball last season, the Phillies were confident enough in his ability that they traded righthander Gavin Floyd and lefthander Gio Gonzalez to the Sox in December for him. The Phillies spoke with White Sox personnel about Garcia and reviewed his health records but did not order an MRI or physical exam before the deal.

The Phillies said they felt confident in Garcia's health.

--------------

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Amazing.... the Rangers go into the bottom of the ninth down 3-0, former Ranger and currently invincible closer Francisco Cordero (he with the 0.26 ERA) gets two outs on the Rangers, people start to leave because they've seen this scenario way more times than they'd like to.......

And the Rangers do the impossible: score four runs and win it.

That's two against the mighty (for them, anyway) Brewers. Gonna enjoy this for as long as it lasts!

Edited by Big Al

So Clemens made his start without rupturing anything, got a little better as the day went on against an utterly crappy lineup, and then they cued up "Rocket Man" as he walked off the mound to the cheers of the adoring crowd. Too bad we didn't hear this little known verse:

And all these road trips

I just can't stand

I only pitch

one day a week

The Family Pla-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-n

For The Rocket Man

:g

No matter what Clemens does (or fails to do), it's going to be overhyped good or bad. His first start was adequate against a weak NL team. He wasn't great, and he didn't stink, he was average. I saw Matt Chico (anyone following that guy?) of the Nationals do as well, or better, against the Pirates on Thursday afternoon (7IP, 4H, 2ER, 5K, 3BB, no decision).

No matter what Clemens does (or fails to do), it's going to be overhyped good or bad. His first start was adequate against a weak NL team. He wasn't great, and he didn't stink, he was average. I saw Matt Chico (anyone following that guy?) of the Nationals do as well, or better, against the Pirates on Thursday afternoon (7IP, 4H, 2ER, 5K, 3BB, no decision).

Or how about Julian Tavarez, Boston's number 5?

6 IP, 6 Hits, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K's

Needed 11 fewer pitches, too.

Yankee fans can take what they want from this, but most scouts in attendance saw a mediocre pitcher who wouldn't have made it out of the fifth inning against decent AL teams. I'm guessing that he'll switch places with his boyfriend, Pettite in order to face the Diamondbacks on Thursday instead of the Mets on Friday. No reason not to let him miss another decent offense.

d-backs draw 20K if lucky

red sox in town 40k at the games

:g

No wonder the Boston blogs are describing the games as "like home games". :g

I know that's how it felt when they were here for the Rangers games. It's the same way when the Yankees are in town. Or the A's. Or the Angels..... :w

Or how about Julian Tavarez, Boston's number 5?

6 IP, 6 Hits, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 6 K's

Needed 11 fewer pitches, too.

Yankee fans can take what they want from this, but most scouts in attendance saw a mediocre pitcher who wouldn't have made it out of the fifth inning against decent AL teams. I'm guessing that he'll switch places with his boyfriend, Pettite in order to face the Diamondbacks on Thursday instead of the Mets on Friday. No reason not to let him miss another decent offense.

Guys, I know the NL by and large is not as good as the AL, but....IF Roger doesn't deal with too many injuries this year, he will be pretty darn good. This was only his 4th start of the year, how many folks after 4 spring training starts would be up to mid season form? I know, he was pitching before those Minor league starts, but it still ain't the same thing.

Like most power pitchers who reach 40 and haven't had a lot of shoulder problems,(Ryan, Smoltz, Shilling, Seaver) he still has a very good fastball. And no one has better control than he does when has a few starts under his belt. He was still 91 to 94 last year, and I expect he will be back to that in a few more starts.

I have heard so many so called experts say he won't be like he used to be, and I say why not? If he had pitched for just about any other team than the Astros the last 3 seasons, he'd have about 370 wins right now. Even with the press he has gotten the last few late start seasons, he doesn't get the props he really should have. He was 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA his first year in the NL, then, after NL folks had a chance to see him, he lowered his ERA to 1.87 the next year!!!!

He was the best starter in the NL in 2005 and 2006. He was only 7-6 last year, but had a 2.30 ERA in a fairly small home park.(A combined 20-14 over '05, 06 with a ERA of only 2.14!!!!) Except for his first and last season with Boston, he has never given up more than a hit per inning. Still strikes out about one guy per inning.

If his ERA goes up 1.5 runs per 9 innings over last year, his ERA will be 3.80. Even if he continues to give up 3 runs per 6, that will be just fine with the Yankees I am sure. If he stays healthy, he will win 12-14 games for them this year.

It is almost comical how everyone, I mean EVERYONE(Yeah, me included) thought there was no way the Yankees could even have a chance at the Wild card, let alone the Division. Didn't everyone say the very same thing last year? Love them, or hate them, they don't give up. I'd still say the Red Sox have a lock on the division, but I bet a lot of folks thought that back in 1978! :crazy: How far back were the Yankess that year?????

Edited by BERIGAN

I have heard so many so called experts say he won't be like he used to be, and I say why not?

1. He wasn't just pitching against "the NL" last year. Due to the uneven schedule, something like 12 of his 19 starts came against NL Central foes, all or most of whom, if I am not mistaken, ranked in the lower half of the league in offense.

2. His fastball is not what it once was. That has been remarked upon by many a scout. Now, it has not declined the way Mike Mussina's fastball has, but it is still not the blow-em away fastball it once was.

3. No pitcher, far fewer crappy hitting catchers and second basemen to feast on, plus a DH who in some cases is the best hitter on the field.

4. He's a walking injury risk, and the biggest one this side of Eric Gagne. The chances he does not make a trip to the DL are virtually nil.

I will be shocked if Clemens is a sub-4.00 ERA in the DH league. After all, his last two years with the Yankees he had an ERA of 4.2 and 3.9 if I remember correctly, and that was four years ago.

There's no question that with the Yankee lineup, Clemens should leave with a lot more leads, and I am sure they will manage to hang on to more than a few of them. But he looks exactly like what he has been: a five inning pitcher, maybe six, and about once a month, he might go seven full. As much as the Yankees need a pitcher that will keep them in the ball game, this will do nothing to solve their bullpen issues, which are likely to remain significant even as Mariano Rivera has seemingly worked through his problems. There are too many relievers working too often, and with Clemens, Mussina and Clippard taking their turns, that rate of use is unlikely to slow. At least Pettite generally works seven innings, or seems capable of it, but really only Wang is someone who goes deep for the Yankees. The Sox, on the other hand, have four guys pitching close to seven innings a start.

Having said all of that, no one in their right minds was writing the Yankees off, though it was easier to do so when their struggles were continuing. Now that they are feeling good about themselves, and hitters like Abreu are straightened out, I doubt that the Yankees will backslide too much. They have a good chance at the wild card and still an outside shot at the division.

It is almost comical how everyone, I mean EVERYONE(Yeah, me included) thought there was no way the Yankees could even have a chance at the Wild card, let alone the Division. Didn't everyone say the very same thing last year? Love them, or hate them, they don't give up. I'd still say the Red Sox have a lock on the division, but I bet a lot of folks thought that back in 1978! :crazy: How far back were the Yankess that year?????

They were (iirc) 14 games back on July 4. However, that was obviously an extraordinary year, and the Sox were still daunted (for whatever it was worth) by "the Curse." I'd agree with Dan that they've got a decent shot at the wild-card, longshot for the division. Clemens is an asset, no doubt about it, even if he is going to be a 5-6 inning pitcher.

4. He's a walking injury risk, and the biggest one this side of Eric Gagne.

Thanks for the reminder. Is there any way you can come with a few million dollars and buy the Rangers from the current clueless owner? ;)

Yeah, but I've been reading that there is a lot of interest in Gagne among the many contenders who need bullpen help. I can see someone forgetting the injury history and offering a decent warm body or two and then guaranteeing Gagne's contract in order to get him to approve the trade. You'll still have the Japanese closer for those occasional leads in the ninth ( ;) ) and can maybe get something for "winning" the Gagne sweepstakes last winter.