The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

Well, losing to New York with your two best relievers on the mound is infuriating, and if the Yankees take this game and make it the turning point in their season it will be even worse, but I like the fact that the Sox are 14-4-1 in their first 19 series and still have yet to lose three in a row (what is the Yankee mark of futility? That they still haven't had a win streak longer than three? :g ) .

I also like the fact that we don't see them until the last series in August. As disappointing as Schilling has been, its the Yankees that have inflated his stats. Against the rest of the league, his ERA is in the twos and his batting average against is like .210. Maybe he'll get his act together and pitch like an ace (until he faces them again).

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The weekend ended the same way it began in the NL West, a 3 way tie between the Dodgers, Padres & D-backs. All playing a bit over .580 too, so the Braves have to keep it up to be in play for the wild card (if they can't win the east.) A very good and somewhat overlooked race.

The weekend ended the same way it began in the NL West, a 3 way tie between the Dodgers, Padres & D-backs. All playing a bit over .580 too, so the Braves have to keep it up to be in play for the wild card (if they can't win the east.) A very good and somewhat overlooked race.

Yeah, and I'm a bit concerned that the Sox are on the road against the D-Backs and the Padres this month. I kinda doubt the Sox are going to go 19-1 against the NL this year.

Apparently a "fatigued groin" does show up on an MRI, when its "disrupted scar tissue":

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=nyy

They are saying that he is still "hopeful" to make his debut next Saturday, but considering the Yankees need to have him at full strength and healthy for the entire season, doesn't it seem likely they'll push him back?

More money down the drain for Roger ... a NY sportswriter calculated his daily pay and came up with $155,000 give or take. Not being placed on the active roster for five extra days is costing him over 3/4 of a million dollars - maybe he'll end up making 17 million by the time he actually starts. :g

Apparently a "fatigued groin" does show up on an MRI, when its "disrupted scar tissue":

Aye carumba! That's some seriously fatigued groin to do that! The magic phrase is good for 16,800 hits on Google btw.

Maybe I watched too much Earl last tv season, but I'm starting to get concerned karma is gonna get me for making fun of his injury. :unsure:

More money down the drain for Roger ... a NY sportswriter calculated his daily pay and came up with $155,000 give or take.

If it takes him 3 seconds to scratch his ass that's $5 and change. Gee, he makes minumum wage really fast. Or will once he's on the roster.

A someone stale question for the Red Sox nation on this board....If it had been A-Rod instead of Lowe head and shoulder butting a slight 2nd baseman, would you all be saying, hell of a play A-Rod?

There was nothing remotely dirty about Lowell's play on Cano, Robbie (and your) complaints notwithstanding.

As Torre said, you're in the baseline, you're fair game. And as Lowell said, I did what the Yankees taught me in the minor leagues. :rolleyes:

He put his shoulder into his chest and pushed. There was no elbow as Cano claimed, and had A-Rod done the exact same thing, I certainly wouldn't be bitching about it.

On the other hand, last week, A-Rod had his chance to make that type of play, and he came out of his slide throwing an elbow in the general direction of Pedroia's groin. That is the wrong way to do it, and Pedroia was correct in complaining about it. You hit a man clean in the act of sliding. You don't come up with an elbow.

Bottom line, if Torre says it was a good clean play, that's good enough for me. Anyone can see on the replay that A-Rod's move wasn't good or clean. If A-Rod does it the correct way, there will be no complaints from me.

This reminds of the time during the 1996 season that Albert Belle took out Fernando Vina by running right into him. Vina had the audacity to believe that the baseline between first and second belonged to him :) . Didn't help that AB was surly and hated by many/most. At least one account now refers to it as Belle decking Vina with a "vicious forearm". I don't remember it that way. :) Belle was HPB twice that day. Fights ensued that day and the next. Belle, Julian Tavarez, and Mike Matheny each received 5 game suspensions. At the time, I wondered what would have happened if it had been Jr Griffey, Cal, or Mo Vaughan breaking up a double play.

This reminds of the time during the 1996 season that Albert Belle took out Fernando Vina by running right into him. Vina had the audacity to believe that the baseline between first and second belonged to him :) . Didn't help that AB was surly and hated by many/most. At least one account now refers to it as Belle decking Vina with a "vicious forearm". I don't remember it that way. :)

That clip was shown again after Lowell's play, and the difference was so obvious. Belle clearly threw his elbow/forearm instead of putting his shoulder down into the man. Of course you are right about the way Belle was perceived, but while he had a right to the baseline, he went over and above in his zeal to disrupt the play.

Certainly the fact that the Yankees never retaliated, unlike the M's (?) did suggests that Cano's complaints were inappropriate.

Edit: Isn't Vina now employed by ESPN? Maybe I missed it but they should have gotten his reaction after Lowell's play and compare it to what Belle did.

Edited by Dan Gould

I missed the Belle/Vina replay. AB definitely used his arm which I guess is the big no no, don't know how viscious the hit really was. But that is a bygone era now. Immensely talented slugger (perhaps poor word choice), deeply troubled human. As good as Vaughn's season was, Belle should have been the AL MVP in '95.

Vina is indeed employed by ESPN now--wonder if he declined to discuss it. ...I'll confess to not hanging on for every tidbit of news/commentary on NYY/Sawx.

I missed the Belle/Vina replay. AB definitely used his arm which I guess is the big no no, don't know how viscious the hit really was. But that is a bygone era now. Immensely talented slugger (perhaps poor word choice), deeply troubled human. As good as Vaughn's season was, Belle should have been the AL MVP in '95.

Vina is indeed employed by ESPN now--wonder if he declined to discuss it. ...I'll confess to not hanging on for every tidbit of news/commentary on NYY/Sawx.

Well, I think the hit was plenty vicious in the way Vina went down like a running back hit by a middle linebacker plugging a hole. Much more violent than Lowell's hit, which knocked him off balance but wasn't enough to break up the DP.

I don't think there's any doubt that Belle had the superior season and suffered because of the way he treated sportswriters (and just about everybody else). And now he suffered in the HoF voting. His numbers were comparable to Jim Rice, who at least most people acknowledge as a strong, if not a slam dunk, candidate. Yet Belle didn't even get the 5% necessary to stay on the ballot.

Can you imagine if it were Belle, not Barry, going for Aaron's record? I imagine he wouldn't even have the support of the hometown fans. :o:ph34r:

Edited by Dan Gould

I cannot imagine an Albert Belle pursuit of Aaron. He got caught with a corked bat. I don't know if he was ever high on anyone's list of likely steroid users (don't recall anything beyond wild speculation). On the positive side (if anyone were to turn to it), I suppose we'd hear more about how extremely well-prepared Belle made himself for every game/AB, keeping an index card for each pitcher's patterns/tendencies. As irritable and irritating as Bonds may be (to some), he's fairly minor league compared to Belle.

Interesting comparison to Rice. I haven't studied it closely, figuring that Belle didn't really have a long enough career to be considered a serious HOF candidate (and recognizing that he'd finish dead last in any popularity contest with media). Ten solid years, batting around .295, 381 HRs, 1200+ RBI, during the steroid era. Baseball-reference.com lists the following as similar players: Juan Gonzalez, Carlos Delgado, Jim Edmonds, Jason Giambi, Moises Alou, Vlad Guerrero, Dick Allen, Rocky Colavito, Hank Greenberg, Tim Salmon. Beside Greenberg who is HOFer, who on this list has a solid chance for Cooperstown?

Vlad Guerrero = solid solid player

Since becoming a full-time player in 1998 at the age of 22 his worst batting average is .307 in 2001. His 2nd worst average is .316. Wow!, especially as his SLG% is .584 lifetime.

Most similar batters thru age 30 are Willie Mays (910 similarity score), Duke Snider (902) and Frank Robinson (878.) Pretty good company there.

He's always an electric at bat.

If he stays healthy, Vlad is a Hall of Famer. The rest, not so much.

I knew that Belle had generally similar numbers to Rice - RBIs are a bit fewer, homers right on the nose, BA just a bit lower. There's no doubt that if he hadn't broken down, Belle would have put up HoF worthy stats (not sure if they'd be HoF worthy stats put into the context of the steroid era, but still). Then again the same thing can be said for Juan Gone.

Vlad Guerrero = solid solid player

Since becoming a full-time player in 1998 at the age of 22 his worst batting average is .307 in 2001. His 2nd worst average is .316. Wow!, especially as his SLG% is .584 lifetime.

Most similar batters thru age 30 are Willie Mays (910 similarity score), Duke Snider (902) and Frank Robinson (878.) Pretty good company there.

He's always an electric at bat.

And he can hit anything out of the park- I've seen him hit homers off pitches just above his feet, and also ones around his eyeballs!

And he can hit anything out of the park- I've seen him hit homers off pitches just above his feet, and also ones around his eyeballs!

Oh yeah, I'm lucky if I see him 2 or 3 times a year, but I swear at least once year I see a homer from one of those 2 locations you mention. It seems like he uses a bigger bat like some guys used in the '70s, though I don't know if that's really the case.

His at bats are a treasure (unless it's against the Mariners ;)) to watch and exciting as hell, just as Reggie's, Willie's (take your pick of the Willies)...I always thought "Bam Bam" (from the Flintstones) would be a good nickname, as he's such a primal hitter, and it seems like he's hitting the ball with a club.

Edited by Quincy