The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

Grandmothers don't play in the MLB.

Muscle mass does not generate speed, Boyz....it creates strength. Not the same thing.

I'm 52, and I never lift weights, but I can make a racquetball racquet snap with such force in order to get the ball to move 90-100 mph.

Sorry, no sale.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How could you not know?

Report: Ortiz not sure if he took steroids

May 8, 2007

BOSTON (TICKER) -- It appears Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is not sure if he has taken steroids.

Ortiz told the Boston Herald that he could not say definitively if he had ever used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. The burly designated hitter also said that if he did, it happened when he was much younger.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that (expletive) up," Ortiz told the paper. "I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it. You've got to be careful.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that anymore because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican (Republic). But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

However, Ortiz, who hit a club-record 54 home runs last season, made light of the situation, joking that he should try steroids just to see what all the fuss is about.

"I should use steroids just to see what's going on," Ortiz joked to the Herald. "Nah. I have a good family. I want to see my kids learn and develop. I think I'm having an OK career. So, I take a lot of Advils, but I think I'm going to stop taking them. They say it (expletive) your liver."

Ortiz spent six non-descript seasons in Minnesota before signing with the Red Sox before the 2003 season. He has quickly become a Boston icon and one of the most popular players in baseball.

In 2004, Ortiz anchored a Red Sox squad which won the franchise's first World Series in 86 years - highlighted by a shocking comeback against the rival New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.

The Red Sox became the first team in baseball history to come back from a three-games-to-none deficit to win a playoff series.

Updated on Tuesday, May 8, 2007 9:04 am EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular

How could you not know?

May 8, 2007

BOSTON (TICKER) -- It appears Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is not sure if he has taken steroids.

Ortiz told the Boston Herald that he could not say definitively if he had ever used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. The burly designated hitter also said that if he did, it happened when he was much younger.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that (expletive) up," Ortiz told the paper. "I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it. You've got to be careful.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that anymore because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican (Republic). But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

However, Ortiz, who hit a club-record 54 home runs last season, made light of the situation, joking that he should try steroids just to see what all the fuss is about.

"I should use steroids just to see what's going on," Ortiz joked to the Herald. "Nah. I have a good family. I want to see my kids learn and develop. I think I'm having an OK career. So, I take a lot of Advils, but I think I'm going to stop taking them. They say it (expletive) your liver."

Ortiz spent six non-descript seasons in Minnesota before signing with the Red Sox before the 2003 season. He has quickly become a Boston icon and one of the most popular players in baseball.

In 2004, Ortiz anchored a Red Sox squad which won the franchise's first World Series in 86 years - highlighted by a shocking comeback against the rival New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.

The Red Sox became the first team in baseball history to come back from a three-games-to-none deficit to win a playoff series.

I had a salad for lunch today...not sure what they put in it....may have been steroids, not sure...don't know what it feels like to take steroids. I'm feeling stronger already...bet I could smack some homeruns after a few more salads. It may just make me a little stronger...doubt it will increase my bat speed.

Muscle mass does not generate speed, Boyz....it creates strength. Not the same thing.I'm 52, and I never lift weights, but I can make a racquetball racquet snap with such force in order to get the ball to move 90-100 mph.

Sorry, no sale.

I'm sure this must to have been mentioned before but if you're stronger, wouldn't it make sense you could possibly swing something (perhaps a bat) a little faster??? I know "stronger" and "faster" are not the same thing but could this be possible???

m~

How could you not know?

May 8, 2007

ADVERTISEMENT

Its pretty simple - there is less regulation/lower standards for label requirements on things like dietary supplements in countries like the Dominican Republic. I don't believe it is coincidental that a majority of players caught in the current testing regimen have been latinos, and they usually claim not to have known what they took. The Player's Union and MLB has worked on this issue by trying t make sure that foreign born players know what is legal to take and what isn't, and how to avoid mistakenly using something.

Ortiz is just acknowledging that in the past he may have unknowingly taken a protein powder or other supplement that would have led to a positive steroid test, had there been one in place.

Muscle mass does not generate speed, Boyz....it creates strength. Not the same thing.I'm 52, and I never lift weights, but I can make a racquetball racquet snap with such force in order to get the ball to move 90-100 mph.

Sorry, no sale.

I'm sure this must to have been mentioned before but if you're stronger, wouldn't it make sense you could possibly swing something (perhaps a bat) a little faster??? I know "stronger" and "faster" are not the same thing but could this be possible???

m~

Of course it is true. Force=Mass X Acceleration

Anyone who becomes stronger can swing a bat quicker, creating greater force.

I find it amazing that everyone can identify the reason why Bonds' home run rate jumped in his late 30s - increased strength due to steroid abuse - yet Goodie still can't offer an alternative explanation.

Oh, except that he has "the gift". :rolleyes:

My apologies to Red Sox fans and Yankee haters around the world as my Rangers collapse against the hated Pinstripes for the umpteenth millionth time (to be fair, I hate the Red Sox, too. But we can beat them occasionally).

Maybe I should start a separate thread discussing how this year's Rangers could be the worst ever.

Maybe I should start a separate thread discussing how this year's Rangers could be the worst ever.

Maybe Dirk will be so traumatized he'll decide to be more like Mike; give up basketball and try to make the Rangers as oh, how about a starting pitcher. :g

I apologize Al, that was just mean.

For what's it's worth if Teix & Young revert to their respective means you'll be scoring more at least. Then there's just the usual problem of trying to prevent runs...

My apologies to Red Sox fans and Yankee haters around the world as my Rangers collapse against the hated Pinstripes for the umpteenth millionth time (to be fair, I hate the Red Sox, too. But we can beat them occasionally).

All I'm askin' is that you manage to win one from them this week. I like our chances against Toronto; just give us a tiny bit of help, 'k?

Maybe Dirk will be so traumatized he'll decide to be more like Mike; give up basketball and try to make the Rangers as oh, how about a starting pitcher. :g

:rofl:

For what's it's worth if Teix & Young revert to their respective means you'll be scoring more at least. Then there's just the usual problem of trying to prevent runs...

Teix is only productive when the game is out of reach. What, he struck out three times last night? The guy is so overrated, it ain't funny. Not to mention he's a grade-A jerk (comes with the territory of being in the stable of Boras, I guess).

As for Young, well.... maybe there's something about having signed a big lush contract that just takes the edge off a guy. I don't know.

All I'm askin' is that you manage to win one from them this week. I like our chances against Toronto; just give us a tiny bit of help, 'k?

I am seriously thinking of flyin' me & my son (11 years old) to Yankee Stadium and force the Rangers to either start him as a pitcher or put him in the outfield. He's got a good arm (which means he can hit the plate from the outfield repeatedly, without fear of his arm wearing out), and he can't be any worse than the overpaid schmoes currently polluting the field.

Of course, his bedtime is 10:00 pm, so we'd have to start the game a bit earlier.... :g

the rangers GM doesnt strike me as the sharpest tool in the shed. Its too bad texas hasnt invested in a few quality starters, because outside of this year, their offense has been incredible. Personally I find offense to be grossly overrated in baseball, despite the fact that I really wish we had more of it here in San Diego. Ultimately good pitchers beat good hitters most of the time.

Edited by donald byrd 4 EVA

Al....explain something to me, will ya? Francisco Cordero, 15 saves, 0.54 ERA????? :eye:

And can anyone explain how Jason Marquis, who apparently didn't listen much to the famous pitching coaches in Atlanta or St. Louis could go from a 6.01 ERA in Busch, to a 5-1 record and 1.77 ERA pitching for the Cubs??? :o

He had a couple years with the Cards that started off similar and then took a trip south in a hurry. I think he's a first half pitcher...plus two (I think) of his wins this year have come against the Cards who are not really swinging the stick at this point!

m~

I am seriously thinking of flyin' me & my son (11 years old) to Yankee Stadium and force the Rangers to either start him as a pitcher or put him in the outfield. He's got a good arm (which means he can hit the plate from the outfield repeatedly, without fear of his arm wearing out), and he can't be any worse than the overpaid schmoes currently polluting the field.

Of course, his bedtime is 10:00 pm, so we'd have to start the game a bit earlier.... :g

Well, you had to wait til the last game to score 14 runs, huh? Spread those around the other games and maybe you'd come out better than 1-5.

Nevertheless, thanks for taking care of them today; we've got to face Doc Holloday tonite at Toronto, and I have my doubts that we can keep them down so far as to sweep, coming off of their six game disaster of a road trip. At least I know that the lead can't be smaller than 6 games, and if the roof is closed as its supposed to be in Toronto, maybe Wake can match Holloday.

I don't know if there are any Blue Jay fans here, but just when the season seems to be slipping away between injuries and horrible pitching, now BJ Ryan is out for the rest of the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. Ouch. In fact, with the usual rehab for TJ surgery 12-18 months, he is probably out through the 2008 season.

I hate to say it, but its been recognized for a long time that Ryan has a very violent delivery, giving him such an expensive and lengthy contract (four years, its possible he isn't back til the last season now) wasn't a good idea.

Edit: the contract is actually for five years, so if he makes a strong recovery, the Jays will have him for perhaps three years. It sounds from the initial reports that the injury wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of TJ surgeries are.

But he won't help them this year, and they are about to fall for the ninth time in a row. Its 8-0 Sox in the eighth, Wakefield easily outpitching Holloday, who the Jays radio crew was speculating may be hurt, as he got hit hard and rarely threw fastballs in the low 90s.

Its way too early, I know, but the way the Sox are pitching and hitting, I've got a really good feeling about the rest of the season. Now, if we can just keep it going and see if the Yanks slump in their very challenging stretch of the schedule, it may be close to too late for even Clemens to save them. :g

Edited by Dan Gould