The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

The problem I have is not that Bonds shouldnt get an astrisk, it is it needs to be proved first. That's all I'm saying here.

Earlier, your argument was that steroids can't cause increased muscle mass (which in turn increase power, and increase the distance a hit ball travels).

Now you seem to be saying "ok I'll admit Bonds was wrong if it can be proven", and putting the bizarre argument about "power not being a contributor to how far a ball is hit" in a secondary mode. You're hedging your bet.

The secondary issue is that muscle mass does not make you hit HRs. Vision, timing and skill make that happen. Ask any ballplayer who has hit a HR and they will tell you the very same thing. And I will say this until my dying day.

As you said, "People just want to believe what they want to believe."

Edited by Aggie87

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem I have is not that Bonds shouldnt get an astrisk, it is it needs to be proved first. That's all I'm saying here.

Earlier, your argument was that steroids can't cause increased muscle mass (which in turn increase power, and increase the distance a hit ball travels).

Now you seem to be saying "ok I'll admit Bonds was wrong if it can be proven", and putting the bizarre argument about "power not being a contributor to how far a ball is hit" in a secondary mode. You're hedging your bet.

The secondary issue is that muscle mass does not make you hit HRs. Vision, timing and skill make that happen. Ask any ballplayer who has hit a HR and they will tell you the very same thing. And I will say this until my dying day.

As you said, "People just want to believe what they want to believe." It's very clear that includes all of us in this discussion.

My argument is and has always been that increased muscle mass does not make you hit HRs. If you were confused as to what I meant, I apologize. But if you scroll back, I am certain you will see that this is my point about the use of steroids.

Sure, I believe what I want to believe, but there is a decided difference in how I come to my conclusions about Bonds or anything else for that matter.

I expect you to prove it. :cool:

My argument is and has always been that increased muscle mass does not make you hit HRs. If you were confused as to what I meant, I apologize. But if you scroll back, I am certain you will see that this is my point about the use of steroids.

Sure, I believe what I want to believe, but there is a decided difference in how I come to my conclusions about Bonds or anything else for that matter.

And how DID you come to your conclusions?? Show me a scientific study that says muscles don't contribute to hitting power, then we can re-examine this. Until then, I'll believe that it does.

If there was a universal belief that muscles had no contributing effect to hitting distance, then nobody would care about steroid use by power hitters. Clearly that's not the case in this country, outside of the SF Bay Area.

Edited by Aggie87

And how DID you come to your conclusions?? Show me a scientific study that says muscles don't contribute to hitting power, then we can re-examine this. Until then, I'll believe that it does.

If there was a universal belief that muscles had no contributing effect to hitting distance, then nobody would care about steroid use by power hitters. Clearly that's not the case in this country, outside of the SF Bay Area.

Scientific proof...wha-? :blink:

Ask any professional golfer or baseball player. G'head, I dare you to. I have.

Sports is not a scientific endeavor, big fella.

Tell me, Aggie, what "scientific proof" have you offered that Bonds is juicing?

250px-D_oh.jpg

Edited by GoodSpeak

Can't do it can ya?

Yes I can, but it will take a Master's Degree in Physiology to explain all of the subtle nuances involved with hitting a baseball.

You...?

Difference is...I can prove it, you can't.

Homer-Simpson-doh.jpg

Edited by GoodSpeak

...didn't Bonds admit to using the cream (which is a steroid)? I think he said he used it but thought it was something else...flaxseed oil...hand cream...????. If he used it, he cheated! Everyone that gets caught either got if by mistake, found it in someone else's locker, drank someone else's drink...or whatever. Whether he lied about knowing it was illegal or not is something else....I'm guessing he knew it but that's just a guess based on the class he has show over the past few years. This doesn't make him worse than others.....the same in my book....he's just a little more "high profile" at this time. A cheater is a cheater...whether he's a dick or not, nice guy or not, black, white or yellow...! Just my 2 cents.

m~

Yes I can, but it will take a Master's Degree in Physiology to explain all of the subtle nuances involved with hitting a baseball.

You...?

Difference is...I can prove it, you can't.

In other words, you COULD prove it, but you're not going to. Fine. :wacko:

"Subtle nuances":

1. Vision - Gotta see the ball to hit it.

2. Eye-Hand Coordination - Gotta swing at the right time.

3. Power - the more power you hit with, the further the ball travels.

What other subtle nuances do you think you can contribute to your argument? If power is irrelevant as you have been arguing, why isn't there a 11 year old playing in the pros? Surely there is some 11 year old out there that has great vision and hand-eye coordination, since that's all it takes to hit homer after homer.

...didn't Bonds admit to using the cream (which is a steroid)? I think he said he used it but thought it was something else...flaxseed oil...hand cream...????. If he used it, he cheated! Everyone that gets caught either got if by mistake, found it in someone else's locker, drank someone else's drink...or whatever. Whether he lied about knowing it was illegal or not is something else....I'm guessing he knew it but that's just a guess based on the class he has show over the past few years. This doesn't make him worse than others.....the same in my book....he's just a little more "high profile" at this time. A cheater is a cheater...whether he's a dick or not, nice guy or not, black, white or yellow...! Just my 2 cents.

m~

Don't bring it up, Mark. The facts are that he testified that he used a cream that he claimed was an arthritis balm and a clear substance that was flaxseed oil.

As far as Goodie is concerned:

This doesn't matter because the authors of the infamous book "broke the law" in getting the transcripts of the Grand Jury testimony.

It doesn't matter because there is no proof that "the cream" and "the clear" which were designer steroids created by BALCO were actually used by Bonds - even if everyone else who received the cream and the clear from BALCO did in fact receive and injest steroids.

I am still waiting for our sadly delusional friend to explain WHY Bonds added such muscle mass if it doesn't help him hit home runs.

If he ever answers that, then maybe he can move on to explain HOW Bonds defied the history of baseball by becoming better in his late 30s and 40s, and he can also explain why no one should notice or care that one critical event happened between his transformation from decent home run hitter to extraordinary home run hitter: His hiring of Greg Anderson and BALCO, and his massive gain of muscle mass.

A gain of muscle mass that came in such a short period of time that experts regard it as a "smoking gun" signifying steroid abuse.

Back to the game itself:

Sorry Yankee fans, but this was surely a great night for Yankee Haters. 2-1 game in the eighth, two outs, a broken bat sixty foot roller puts a man on base. He tries to steal, the tag is applied to his derriere with his hand eighteen inches from the base - and he's called safe.

A bloop single off Farnsworth and a blast off of Mo later and the Yanks fall to six games back.

:g

Seriously though, this hardly begins to make up for all of those games stolen in April when A-Rod was Mr. Walk-Off. The baseball gods give and they taketh away. :P

A gain of muscle mass that came in such a short period of time that experts regard it as a "smoking gun" signifying steroid abuse.

Remember though, it's normal for foot size to suddenly, strangely increase 5 sizes as a mature adult. And it's normal for a mature adult's head to suddenly, grow a few sizes too. Happened to goodspeak himself - totally normal, he assured us.

My footsize and headsize have not changed in 25 years, and I'm 42. My belly - that's a different story. :D

Wells doesn't agree with Clemens not traveling

ESPN.com news services

Roger Clemens has a big challenge ahead of him to get in shape and take the mound for the New York Yankees. But some around baseball think the Rocket is getting off too easy.

According to his contract, Clemens will not be forced to travel with the team when he isn't scheduled to pitch. He had the same deal with the Houston Astros. Padres veteran David Wells doesn't agree with that.

David Wells

Wells

"I don't think I would ever do it because of the fact I personally think it would disrespect the team and your teammates," Wells said, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "You look at the other players. How are they going to respect you? What are they going to think if you're not there pulling for the team?"

Future Hall-of-Famer Greg Maddux agreed with Wells, his San Diego Padres teammate.

"I can't imagine doing that," Maddux said, according to the Sun-Sentinel. "I like the game. I like the atmosphere. I appreciate what it has to offer. I want to play the whole year."

Wells also played for the Yankees in his career and was part of the trade with the Toronto Blue Jays that brought Clemens to the Bronx. The pair were then Yankee teammates in 2002. Although Joe Torre said he cleared Clemens' arrangement with his veterans, Wells told the Sun-Sentinel, "That's not the Yankee way. The Yankees have changed."

Money Ball

The Rockets' $28M deal leaves a lot to the imagination. What would you do with that kind of cash? Well, Clemens could field an All-Star team all his own. New York's newest addition could afford the lineup below and still have change to spare.

Starting Lineup For Under $28M

Position Player Salary

Pitcher Brandon Webb $4,500,000

Catcher Joe Mauer $3,750,000

1B Ryan Howard $900,000

2B Robinson Cano $490,800

3B Miguel Cabrera $7,400,000

SS J.J. Hardy $400,000

OF Josh Hamilton $380,000

OF Alex Rios $2,535,000

OF Matt Holliday $4,400,000

DH Sammy Sosa $500,000

**Lineup worth $25,255,800

Clemens has been in such hot demand he has the luxury to not put his 44-year-old body through the extreme rigors of travel. But the pitcher knows that age won't be an excuse if he can't get into condition to help the Yankees.

"Mr. Steinbrenner, he doesn't care how old I am," Clemens said Monday. "He wants me to come back and play like I have in the past."

Clemens announced Sunday from owner George Steinbrenner's box that he was rejoining the New York Yankees. The Rocket has won seven Cy Young awards and two World Series rings. He will be paid about $18.5 million this season, but that's not what brought him back.

"If you think it's about money, you're greatly mistaken. I'm not going to put my body through the paces I put my body through to earn a few more dollars," Clemens said at a charity golf tournament.

Describing the decision to play for the Yankees, Clemens said it was a situation that unfolded very quickly.

"I didn't know the details of my contract sitting down yesterday," he said. "That's how quick the decision was made to do this."

Having played for Steinbrenner before, Clemens said all the right things about why he is returning to the Bronx.

"You're talking seven long years that we haven't been in the winners' circle," he said.

It's his past performances that earned Clemens a return trip to New York. He won titles in 1999 and 2000, then helped the Yankees reach the World Series in 2001 and 2003. They lost that final appearance to the Florida Marlins in what was billed as Clemens' farewell to baseball.

But when the Yanks let pitcher Andy Pettitte go to Houston as a free agent, Clemens changed his mind and followed his close friend to the Astros, where he pitched three more seasons.

The Yankees will pay about $26 million in salary and luxury tax in a one-year deal for the Rocket.

It's still uncertain when Clemens will make his debut this season. He said that will depend on how his preparations and conditioning go.

He'll start out in the minor leagues with workouts in Lexington, Ky., where his son, Koby, is playing with a Houston Astros' farm team.

Clemens is second on the career strikeouts list with 4,604 and has 348 career wins, putting him eighth on the list. Last season with Houston, he was 7-6 with a 2.30 ERA.

When asked whether this would be his last season in baseball, Clemens smiled a bit and declined to say.

"You know I'd be lying to you all if I said it again, because I'm not good at it," he said. "It's great to be able to make a great living, but when it's all said and done it's about how many rings that you have."

The more he thought about it, Wells warmed up to the idea of going for those rings as a part-time player.

"Roger might set the tone for the 40-and-above guys," Wells said, according to the Sun-Sentinel. "Hey, I might do it. He's a smart businessman."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Sigh..... Rainbow-PUSH is pissed that there aren't any blacks on the team. Wait, there are black players on the team! Just not African-American players(except Willy Harris just called up this week.) Sorry Chipper, we need to trade you for a black African-American player. Andruw, Frenchy, Salty, Thorman, you are next! Winning is aways a secondary concern.....now, who will be the first female-American to play for the braves?

Braves meet with Rainbow/PUSH officials

By CARROLL ROGERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/07/07

Upset over the lack of African-Americans on the Braves roster, members of Jesse Jackson's Rainbow-PUSH Coalition asked for a meeting with team officials. They got one Monday.

Joe Beasley, Southern Regional Director for the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, said he and Dexter Clinkscale, the director of sports for the organization, met Monday morning for nearly two hours with Braves general manager John Schuerholz, assistant general manager Frank Wren and three other Braves officials.

Your Turn

Why do the Braves have so few African-American players?

There aren't enough African-American prospects out there.

The Braves aren't trying hard enough to bring them along.

Some of both of the above.

I don't care who they are as long as they're good players.

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

* Braves fail Young's tall test

* Giles unfazed by getting dumped

* Braves meet with Rainbow/PUSH officials

• More Braves coverage

"The team slipped ... down to [no African-Americans]; it wasn?t something that just happened," Beasley said Monday afternoon. "I think it was a lack of diligence on the part of the Braves to recruit African-American players. There's not diminished enthusiasm for African-Americans playing baseball. It's simply the opportunity hasn't presented itself."

Schuerholz acknowledged the meeting Monday but declined further comment, saying in a statement: "We had a meeting with Mr. Beasley and another member of his organization this morning and discussed a variety of topics."

Less than 10 percent of major league players are African-Americans. In a recent interview on the subject, Schuerholz said: "You go to where the talent leads you. Finding major league-caliber baseball players is far too difficult if you try to narrow your criteria down to demographics."

Countered Beasley, "As I expected, [schuerholz?s] idea is the bottom line: I'll put the best 40 men I can get wherever I can get them from on the field, and that's fair. But the fact of the matter is if they put resources into recruiting here in the United States, and more specifically here in Atlanta, there are talented players here."

The issue was brought to the attention of the Rainbow-PUSH Coalition during the 60th anniversary celebration of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier. The Braves and Houston Astros did not have any African-American players on their 25-man rosters at the time. The Braves' total grew with the promotion of left fielder Willie Harris, who is from Robinson?s hometown of Cairo.

"You slipped down to nothing, now you've got one, we expect it to start going up higher," Beasley said was the sentiment he voiced in the meeting. "We want to see incrementally it move back up, rather than moving down. There was an openness on [schuerholz's] part to talk and to be in dialogue and hopefully be in partnership in trying to make sure that it happens. He was very nice, a gentleman. I'm going to hold him to his word to work with us and move those numbers back up to a respectable level."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/b...esminority.html

Wells doesn't agree with Clemens not traveling

ESPN.com news services

Roger Clemens has a big challenge ahead of him to get in shape and take the mound for the New York Yankees. But some around baseball think the Rocket is getting off too easy.

According to his contract, Clemens will not be forced to travel with the team when he isn't scheduled to pitch. He had the same deal with the Houston Astros. Padres veteran David Wells doesn't agree with that.

David Wells

Wells

"I don't think I would ever do it because of the fact I personally think it would disrespect the team and your teammates," Wells said, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "You look at the other players. How are they going to respect you? What are they going to think if you're not there pulling for the team?"

Future Hall-of-Famer Greg Maddux agreed with Wells, his San Diego Padres teammate.

"I can't imagine doing that," Maddux said, according to the Sun-Sentinel. "I like the game. I like the atmosphere. I appreciate what it has to offer. I want to play the whole year."

Wells also played for the Yankees in his career and was part of the trade with the Toronto Blue Jays that brought Clemens to the Bronx. The pair were then Yankee teammates in 2002. Although Joe Torre said he cleared Clemens' arrangement with his veterans, Wells told the Sun-Sentinel, "That's not the Yankee way. The Yankees have changed."

Money Ball

The Rockets' $28M deal leaves a lot to the imagination. What would you do with that kind of cash? Well, Clemens could field an All-Star team all his own. New York's newest addition could afford the lineup below and still have change to spare.

Starting Lineup For Under $28M

Position Player Salary

Pitcher Brandon Webb $4,500,000

Catcher Joe Mauer $3,750,000

1B Ryan Howard $900,000

2B Robinson Cano $490,800

3B Miguel Cabrera $7,400,000

SS J.J. Hardy $400,000

OF Josh Hamilton $380,000

OF Alex Rios $2,535,000

OF Matt Holliday $4,400,000

DH Sammy Sosa $500,000

**Lineup worth $25,255,800

Clemens has been in such hot demand he has the luxury to not put his 44-year-old body through the extreme rigors of travel. But the pitcher knows that age won't be an excuse if he can't get into condition to help the Yankees.

"Mr. Steinbrenner, he doesn't care how old I am," Clemens said Monday. "He wants me to come back and play like I have in the past."

Clemens announced Sunday from owner George Steinbrenner's box that he was rejoining the New York Yankees. The Rocket has won seven Cy Young awards and two World Series rings. He will be paid about $18.5 million this season, but that's not what brought him back.

"If you think it's about money, you're greatly mistaken. I'm not going to put my body through the paces I put my body through to earn a few more dollars," Clemens said at a charity golf tournament.

Describing the decision to play for the Yankees, Clemens said it was a situation that unfolded very quickly.

"I didn't know the details of my contract sitting down yesterday," he said. "That's how quick the decision was made to do this."

Having played for Steinbrenner before, Clemens said all the right things about why he is returning to the Bronx.

"You're talking seven long years that we haven't been in the winners' circle," he said.

It's his past performances that earned Clemens a return trip to New York. He won titles in 1999 and 2000, then helped the Yankees reach the World Series in 2001 and 2003. They lost that final appearance to the Florida Marlins in what was billed as Clemens' farewell to baseball.

But when the Yanks let pitcher Andy Pettitte go to Houston as a free agent, Clemens changed his mind and followed his close friend to the Astros, where he pitched three more seasons.

The Yankees will pay about $26 million in salary and luxury tax in a one-year deal for the Rocket.

It's still uncertain when Clemens will make his debut this season. He said that will depend on how his preparations and conditioning go.

He'll start out in the minor leagues with workouts in Lexington, Ky., where his son, Koby, is playing with a Houston Astros' farm team.

Clemens is second on the career strikeouts list with 4,604 and has 348 career wins, putting him eighth on the list. Last season with Houston, he was 7-6 with a 2.30 ERA.

When asked whether this would be his last season in baseball, Clemens smiled a bit and declined to say.

"You know I'd be lying to you all if I said it again, because I'm not good at it," he said. "It's great to be able to make a great living, but when it's all said and done it's about how many rings that you have."

The more he thought about it, Wells warmed up to the idea of going for those rings as a part-time player.

"Roger might set the tone for the 40-and-above guys," Wells said, according to the Sun-Sentinel. "Hey, I might do it. He's a smart businessman."

...wow, a few more dollars... :huh: .I wish I had a few more dollars!

Sigh..... Rainbow-PUSH is pissed that there aren't any blacks on the team. Wait, there are black players on the team! Just not African-American players(except Willy Harris just called up this week.) Sorry Chipper, we need to trade you for a black African-American player. Andruw, Frenchy, Salty, Thorman, you are next! Winning is aways a secondary concern.....now, who will be the first female-American to play for the braves?

Braves meet with Rainbow/PUSH officials

By CARROLL ROGERS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/07/07

Upset over the lack of African-Americans on the Braves roster, members of Jesse Jackson's Rainbow-PUSH Coalition asked for a meeting with team officials. They got one Monday.

Joe Beasley, Southern Regional Director for the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, said he and Dexter Clinkscale, the director of sports for the organization, met Monday morning for nearly two hours with Braves general manager John Schuerholz, assistant general manager Frank Wren and three other Braves officials.

Your Turn

Why do the Braves have so few African-American players?

There aren't enough African-American prospects out there.

The Braves aren't trying hard enough to bring them along.

Some of both of the above.

I don't care who they are as long as they're good players.

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

* Braves fail Young's tall test

* Giles unfazed by getting dumped

* Braves meet with Rainbow/PUSH officials

• More Braves coverage

"The team slipped ... down to [no African-Americans]; it wasn?t something that just happened," Beasley said Monday afternoon. "I think it was a lack of diligence on the part of the Braves to recruit African-American players. There's not diminished enthusiasm for African-Americans playing baseball. It's simply the opportunity hasn't presented itself."

Schuerholz acknowledged the meeting Monday but declined further comment, saying in a statement: "We had a meeting with Mr. Beasley and another member of his organization this morning and discussed a variety of topics."

Less than 10 percent of major league players are African-Americans. In a recent interview on the subject, Schuerholz said: "You go to where the talent leads you. Finding major league-caliber baseball players is far too difficult if you try to narrow your criteria down to demographics."

Countered Beasley, "As I expected, [schuerholz?s] idea is the bottom line: I'll put the best 40 men I can get wherever I can get them from on the field, and that's fair. But the fact of the matter is if they put resources into recruiting here in the United States, and more specifically here in Atlanta, there are talented players here."

The issue was brought to the attention of the Rainbow-PUSH Coalition during the 60th anniversary celebration of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier. The Braves and Houston Astros did not have any African-American players on their 25-man rosters at the time. The Braves' total grew with the promotion of left fielder Willie Harris, who is from Robinson?s hometown of Cairo.

"You slipped down to nothing, now you've got one, we expect it to start going up higher," Beasley said was the sentiment he voiced in the meeting. "We want to see incrementally it move back up, rather than moving down. There was an openness on [schuerholz's] part to talk and to be in dialogue and hopefully be in partnership in trying to make sure that it happens. He was very nice, a gentleman. I'm going to hold him to his word to work with us and move those numbers back up to a respectable level."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/b...esminority.html

:mellow: ..that's some sad shit....why any team would be expected to put anyone on their roster but those they felt were the best players they could find at the time...black or white is crazy! JJ needs to go away!

But I will tell you this: As a golf coach, I have 5'11" skinny teenager on the HS team I help coach who hits 300+ yard drives on a continuous basis. He would be hard pressed to crack a peanut shell. Vision, timing and skill.

How fast does that skinny kid swing the club?

Dude, as a fellow Giants fan (born/raised in SF) I want to get along with you, but you are a total spinmeister on this topic - I'd really like to see you actually address the point for once.

I fully understand your point, Larsen.

I am around baseball coaches and players all spring long [i announce basball games]...in fact, one of my former students is in the big leagues right now playing OF for the Royals [shane Costa] and not one of them, almost to a man, will tell [except for the hated dodger fans] you a HR is not hit because you're the biggest or strongest guy on the team. Even the former pros I have spoken to say the same exact thing.

I believe a man is innocent until proven guilty and a media lynching isn't proof, my friend.

It's a great point look at Ted Williams he hit 521 homers and he was not muscle bound , in fact compared to todays players he was down right thin !

But I will tell you this: As a golf coach, I have 5'11" skinny teenager on the HS team I help coach who hits 300+ yard drives on a continuous basis. He would be hard pressed to crack a peanut shell. Vision, timing and skill.

then tell us that bat speed is in no way related to muscle power, and then put a bat in your grandma's hand for a demonstration.

then tell us that bat speed is in no way related to muscle power, and then put a bat in your grandma's hand for a demonstration.

...as long as she has good vision, she'll be hitting homers anyday (no disrespect meant to your grandmother)!!

Edited by sheldonm

this is the funniest quote a FEW more dollars ???.....it's 28 million !!!!!!

this is the funniest quote a FEW more dollars ???.....it's 28 million !!!!!!

Its even more deceitful. The Yankees budgeted 25.5 million. The Red Sox offered 18. Presumably the Astros offered the same 22 million as last year or maybe a bit lower. So the Yankees "won". But did Roger say "OK"? No. His evil agent came back and said "the price is 28 million" and of course the Yankee said "deal".

Anyone believe it was coincidental that A-Rod's record setting salary is 27 million?