The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

BoSox in five

Another brilliant prediction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so....I would be batting well over .500 at this point. My prediction supports a Red Sox victory and the Rockies have already won the NLCS.

If I was a baseball player, I'd be making millions of dollars right now.

:P

Well are you still believing in a Red Sox victory?

I take your point about batting over .500 - BUT it is one thing to predict a Red Sox victory, but you said in 5 games. Now it looks possible it may be Tribe in 5 - so one might say that when you are wrong, you are REALLY wrong, as in WAY OFF.

You also predicted an easy Yanks victory in the ALDS - that was WAY OFF.

Bottom Line : Don't mess with Cleveland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You learned nothing from the ALDS?

ANd if we get there, we do not fear in the least the Colorado Rockies.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BoSox in five

Another brilliant prediction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so....I would be batting well over .500 at this point. My prediction supports a Red Sox victory and the Rockies have already won the NLCS.

If I was a baseball player, I'd be making millions of dollars right now.

:P

Well are you still believing in a Red Sox victory?

I take your point about batting over .500 - BUT it is one thing to predict a Red Sox victory, but you said in 5 games. Now it looks possible it may be Tribe in 5 - so one might say that when you are wrong, you are REALLY wrong, as in WAY OFF.

You also predicted an easy Yanks victory in the ALDS - that was WAY OFF.

Bottom Line : Don't mess with Cleveland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You learned nothing from the ALDS?

ANd if we get there, we do not fear in the least the Colorado Rockies.

Once again, missing one out of four isn't way off in the NL/ALDS, OK?

And, yes, I think the Sox can still win it.

Buddy....you are WAY over focused on the Cleveland Indians.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Despite appearances, I still think this is going back to Boston.

Me too. Beckett is lights out. Unfortunately for Red Sox Nation he can't pitch game 6 or 7.

Can I get some of whatever shit you're smoking? You heard it here first:

Beckett will last five innings and give up 7 runs, most of them coming on two crushing home runs.

Sabathia will throw eight innings of 1 run ball.

The Red Sox will have a nice quiet plane ride home.

dan = super duper pissed

:crazy:

You have no idea - but you'll find out after this abomination is over.

I am not rubbing it in on Dan. We Tribe fans know his pain and he has been very gracious in his comments about the Tribe.

Oh sure, go ahead and call me gracious. I guess I'll have to rethink my post-ALCS comments.

;)

I can't understand why you're throwing in the towel. I'm old enough to remember several occasions in which a major league team came back from 3-1 to win a seven game series. And of course you freshly remember the Bosox of 2004 who were down 3-0. Beckett's been pitching wonderfully. Why can't he win tomorrow night and send it back to Boston?

Tribe fans need to get a grip on reality: It ain't over until the fat lady sings, Guys.

The Angels thought they had it in the bag back in 1986 with a big playoff lead over the BoSox.

Guess who went to the WS that year?

It sure as hell wasn't the Angels.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Tribe fans need to get a grip on reality: It ain't over until the fat lady sings, Guys.

I thought it was 'til the Fat Man pitches?

but...

"Why panic?" Ramirez said. "If we don't do it, we'll come back next year and try again."

Ramirez reiterated the sentiment later, saying, "If it doesn't happen, who cares? There's always next year. It's not the end of the world."

but...

"Why panic?" Ramirez said. "If we don't do it, we'll come back next year and try again."

Ramirez reiterated the sentiment later, saying, "If it doesn't happen, who cares? There's always next year. It's not the end of the world."

Yeah and I read this too and his other comments, so if Manny really feels that way and doesn't care, fine - great attitude.

Of course it ain't over. However you're the one with the reality problem dude. You said the Indians would never get past the Yanks- then the Indians massacred them. You said Boston in 5, and with the Tribe up 3-1 ,you still think Boston is going to win even though one of their key players (Manny) doesn't care whether they win or not. What does that say about YOUR grip on reality? We did not say we have a lock, but it sure as hell is looking good - we only need one and have won the last 3.

At least on this board, more Red Sox fans seems to be saying it is over than Tribe fans.

In your Indians predictions, you are batting a whopping 0.

Edited by skeith

Of course it ain't over. However you're the one with the reality problem dude. You said the Indians would never get past the Yanks- then the Indians massacred them. You said Boston in 5, and with the Tribe up 3-1 ,you still think Boston is going to win even though one of their key players (Manny) doesn't care whether they win or not. What does that say about YOUR grip on reality? We did not say we have a lock, but it sure as hell is looking good - we only need one and have won the last 3.

At least on this board, more Red Sox fans seems to be saying it is over than Tribe fans.

In your Indians predictions, you are batting a whopping 0.

Buddy, you are WAY over focused on the Indians.

I said a whole helluva lot more then just that one item you keep harping on, OK?

You're looking through the wrong end of the telescope.....see the big picture.

but...

Yeah and I read this too and his other comments, so if Manny really feels that way and doesn't care, fine - great attitude.

That is a piss poor attitude.

Reminds me of when Charles Barkley used to say "hey, it's just a game".

It just goes to show you how little professional players really care. I guess I wouldn't give a shit either as long as the big checks keep rolling in. :rolleyes:

I heard the audio of this this morning after posting so I think it's a bit out of context in print - even tho it is what he meant - but Manny's being Manny, mang, and his attitude is just like his swing - he will do the best he can do and that's all anyone can ask and it will ususally be better ... now as for them other guys who bat after him, sheesh. At least Manny HAS proved it in the post season but the bottom (ie: Drew) better deliver or the fans will run Theo and his high priced lot out on a rail. At least Manny actually has some refreshing joviality and I think he was trying to put everyone at ease. Hate to be a sunflower seed tonite.

Maybe I shouldn't feel quite so pessimistic today. From the Boston Globe's Baseball Blog:

If you’re feeling a little queasy about tonight’s do-or-die Game 5 of the ALCS in Cleveland, a look at the Red Sox’ track record when losing three of the first four games of a playoff series might make you feel a little better.

Check out these tidbits, provided by the Red Sox in their game notes released to the media:

• This is the 6th time that the Red Sox have dropped 3 of the 1st 4 games in a best of 7 or best of 9 postseason series. They have come back to win 3 of those previous 5 series.
  • On the 5 previous occasions, Boston is 4-1 in Game 5, the lone defeat coming in the 1999 LCS vs. the Yankees.
  • The Red Sox are the only the team in history to come back from a 3-1 deficit and win a best of 7 ALCS more than once, accomplishing that feat in 1986 against the Angels and 2004 versus the Yankees (they had trailed that series 3-0)…Only one other team in ALCS has done that, the 1985 Royals over Toronto.
  • Boston has an all-time record of 21-11 in games in which it could have been eliminated from a postseason series.

Wow, Torre's gone, wouldn't take a pay cut... :o

I'd heard that SI was reporting that they were close to a 1 year deal with a club option for a second year. Its obvious to me they got what they wanted - make an offer, force Joe to say "forget it" and now there's less blame for making the change. And can anyone blame him, after 12 years of making the playoffs, for refusing such a short contract? It would have only meant that another slow start would result in an in-season firing.

Well this is great news because this makes Posada and Mo more likely to leave, and while I've said before that Torre isn't a great in-game manager, few are better at managing personalities and the pressure of the media market, etc. No one should want to replace Joe Torre, just as no one should want to replace Bobby Bowden.

Wow, Torre's gone, wouldn't take a pay cut... :o

I'd heard that SI was reporting that they were close to a 1 year deal with a club option for a second year. Its obvious to me they got what they wanted - make an offer, force Joe to say "forget it" and now there's less blame for making the change. And can anyone blame him, after 12 years of making the playoffs, for refusing such a short contract? It would have only meant that another slow start would result in an in-season firing.

Well this is great news because this makes Posada and Mo more likely to leave, and while I've said before that Torre isn't a great in-game manager, few are better at managing personalities and the pressure of the media market, etc. No one should want to replace Joe Torre, just as no one should want to replace Bobby Bowden.

torre would be a natural for sunday night baseball. we have heard everything joe morgan has to say 25 times.

torre would be a natural for sunday night baseball. we have heard everything joe morgan has to say 25 times.

And that's 25 times per game! I recall Torre was easy on the ears the few times I heard him. Boy I wish you could wave a magic wand & make this happen.

Torre made $7.5 million last year. He was offered $5 mil for 1 year with a 1 mil bonus for making the playoffs, 1 million for making to the ALCS, and 1 mil for making it the World Series. If the Yanks won the pennant he'd get a $8 million dollar deal for 2009. He turned 67 last July.

Here are the next richest deals:

Lou Piniella, CHC $3.5 million

Bobby Cox, ATL $3 million

Tony La Russa, STL $2.8 million

Mike Scioscia, LAA $2 million

Jim Leyland, DET $2 million

Bruce Bochy, SF $1.75 million

Good luck finding a $5,000,000 job out there Joe, let alone one that pays $7,500,000. Maybe not having to deal with Steinbrenner & Co. is worth the difference!

Torre made $7.5 million last year. He was offered $5 mil for 1 year with a 1 mil bonus for making the playoffs, 1 million for making to the ALCS, and 1 mil for making it the World Series. If the Yanks won the pennant he'd get a $8 million dollar deal for 2009. He turned 67 last July.

Here are the next richest deals:

Lou Piniella, CHC $3.5 million

Bobby Cox, ATL $3 million

Tony La Russa, STL $2.8 million

Mike Scioscia, LAA $2 million

Jim Leyland, DET $2 million

Bruce Bochy, SF $1.75 million

Good luck finding a $5,000,000 job out there Joe, let alone one that pays $7,500,000. Maybe not having to deal with Steinbrenner & Co. is worth the difference!

Quincy,

It's true he won't find that kind of money, but to cut a guy's salary by 25%, when likely no other manager could get a team to come back from as far down as they were(I am sure you remember, they lost almost all their starters early on, doesn't matter how big your budget is if you haven't any healthy guys) is an insult. Not like the team came in 3rd. Acting like he can make the same money, IF they get thru all rounds, nope...insulting. Hey, Andruw Jones thinks he is going to get a 5-6 Million dollar raise after hitting around .220....Torre had a much better year.

Feel sorry for him, and I really hope that the Yankees have a .500 season next year after losing Jorge, A-Rod and Mariano......

Good luck finding somebody willing to manage for an asshole owner in the New York fishbowl filled with spoiled fans who whine every goddamned year they can't win the World Series.

You think about that, Quincy.

I say, "Fuck 'em."

Edited by GoodSpeak