The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

Hey Patrick, is there any chance Trot gets the start against the Rocket? Its been five, six, seven years, but he has had some huge hits off the old man.

Astute observation, Trot is in fact in the starting lineup! Hopefully this will work

and hopefully Clemens won't be nearly as effective as Schilling...

I TOLD you he should be in the lineup!!!

:g

My initial Trot observation was also fairly astute as it turns out...

ugh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So now there's a series again between NY and Cleveland.

Seems like Wedge and company just didn't feel the urgency to get things done tonight. Westbrook was reasonably effective early, but he was getting his pitches up to several batters before Damon went yard. Just not much of a margin for error in the post-season. Victor Martinez gave them a run when he was stunned to see Matsui going to third on a swinging bunt. Trot's fielding error was another. But mainly I put it on Wedge. He even put Westbrook out there in the sixth after JW had demonstrated for at least a full innning that he was no longer effective, and Wedge had a completely available bullpen that has demonstrated great effectiveness thus far (only Rafael Perez would have been limited). And why Fultz, and why does he pitch to several batters? Oy.

As he did in August, Hughes pitched well against the Tribe.

Jensen Lewis had another effective inning--better than this Joba cat everybody is nuts about (...so far :) )

So it looks like it will be Moose and Wang tomorrow v. Paul Byrd. I believe Moose had a pretty good outing against Tribe in August (one of his few). Hopefully the Tribe bats will continue to provide lots of offense, Byrd will be reasonably effective, and perhaps most importantly, the manager and his coaches realize what's happening before it's too late. Good to be relaxed in NY, but ...

If not, it's Sabathia and Pettitte back at the Jake on Wednesday. Certainly will be dramatic if we get that far.

Dan, if you had to choose between a 4 game series won by Cleveland (LCS starts with Sabathia and Carmona) or a 5 gamer won by NY in which Pettitte and Wong are not available for game one and maybe game 2, which would you choose? Is the fear/hatred/concern/whatever for NYY so deep that you'd prefer the Tribe on regular rest?

Dan, if you had to choose between a 4 game series won by Cleveland (LCS starts with Sabathia and Carmona) or a 5 gamer won by NY in which Pettitte and Wong are not available for game one and maybe game 2, which would you choose? Is the fear/hatred/concern/whatever for NYY so deep that you'd prefer the Tribe on regular rest?

I prefer to deal with Cleveland in any iteration, because this playoff dismissal will put the Yankees into complete turmoil with the end of the Torre era. Or at least the potential for complete turmoil.

I would love to see a Yankee win tonight if it guarantees a dominant Sabathia on Sunday but then I'd be concerned that the Yankees would ride the momentum to a series win. So:

Don't lose your mojo, Indians. Stay on top of them, work your at-bats, get it done, and may the best team win the pennant in the next round, where they will most assuredly destroy whatever pathetic NL West team wins.

Dang, I really hate it when the Yankees get some wiggle room like this. I hope Cleveland can close it out tonight, but I don't have great confidence in Byrd though.... <_< .

Your unease about Byrd is well founded. If Cliff Lee hadn't imploded, Byrd would have been an above average 5th guy in the rotation. He had a good year, much of it as the 3rd guy with Lee and Westbrook down for long periods, and his relatively cheap option almost certainly will be picked up (after having a brutal season last year--I was pleading for him to be traded for used fungo bats). Byrd, however, pitched better earlier in the year. Like Westbrook, he doesn't strike out a lot of guys, so Peralta, Cabrera, and company will have to do well in the field, and the bats will have to contribute substantially.

It would be a fitting end to a season that started (...or was postponed) in the snow at the Jake in April. If it went 7, they'd be playing in Cleveland on November 1!!!

But let's not get way ahead of ourselves, just yet--a Boston/Colorado series is a bit more likely and would feature similarly crisp weather.

...which would you choose? Is the fear/hatred/concern/whatever for NYY so deep that you'd prefer the Tribe on regular rest?

Well, I'm not Dan, but the Yankees beat the Red Sox 5 of the last 6 they played, so I sure would rather them face the Indians than the Yankees regardless of who is pitching!

...which would you choose? Is the fear/hatred/concern/whatever for NYY so deep that you'd prefer the Tribe on regular rest?

Well, I'm not Dan, but the Yankees beat the Red Sox 5 of the last 6 they played, so I sure would rather them face the Indians than the Yankees regardless of who is pitching!

Well it certainly looks like it will be the Indians and Patrick will get his wish of having his two aces ready to start Games 1 and 2, but at the same time I have to point out that Manny missed all but about five innings of those 6 games when he hurt his oblique, and now he is back and crushing the ball. I'd still feel pretty good if its the Yankees if Manny is in the lineup and hot as Georgia asphalt.

Rodriguez won't be able to get out of NY fast enough.

Will he? Its certainly the $64,000 question (or is that the 30 million dollars a year question?) and the one thing I have to wonder is how much Joe Torre's imminent firing may effect the club in trying to sign A-Rod to an extension or keep Posada and Rivera.

In the meantime, I have to wonder how A-Rod feels about getting booed (which hasn't happened that much yet) when Derek McFistPump has been killing the team with DPs but no one gives him a hard time.

A-Rod came through and I hope he comes back. If Joe doesn't, well, what a class act and a class run--and the 1996-2001 team still goes down as one of the great ones in baseball history.

Congrats to the Tribe, and I think the coming matchup with the Bosox is a potential classic. Gotta admit I have a prejudice for all of the old-school AL teams... comes from perusing my dad's 1950s baseball card collection when I was a kid.

Edited by ghost of miles

If Joe doesn't [come back], well, what a class act and a class run--and the 1996-2001 team still goes down as one of the great ones in baseball history.

Congrats to the Tribe, and I think the coming matchup with the Bosox is a potential classic.

Agree all the way.

Edited by Big Al

If Joe doesn't [come back], well, what a class act and a class run--and the 1996-2001 team still goes down as one of the great ones in baseball history.

Congrats to the Tribe, and I think the coming matchup with the Bosox is a potential classic.

Agree all the way.

accordiing to the yankee broadcasters, the yankee locker room was full of tears as torre addressed the group.

this was the end of an era.

parity, more or less, has enveloped baseball. there will be a new champion this year, as well. i think, now, that makes seven different champions in 7 years.

and why do you think this was a-rod's last atbat for the yankees? you really think they're going to send him somewhere? ples.

Are you completely ignorant of what has been talked about all season long?

Here's a clue: its called an opt-out clause, and Scott Boras doesn't put it into his client's contracts unless he expects them to exercise it. The possibilities are these:

A-Rod signs an extension with the Yankees without actually exercising the opt-out clause. It has the advantage for the Yankees of keeping the Texas owner on the hook for his share of A-Rod's salary for the next three years.

A-Rod ignores the money that is on the table and simply chooses not to use the clause, plays out the remaining three years of his deal, and becomes a free agent at 35. This makes zero sense because right now his value is the highest it will ever be. There is more money in the game, and more teams that would bid on him, and he is only 32 and is coming off one of the greatest offensive seasons in this or any era. Being a free agent at 35 would make it tougher to get a big money, long contract.

A-Rod opts out, and then the Yankees have to decide whether to stick to their guns and refuse to join the bidding, or realize that they desperately need his right handed bat, and do what it takes to re-sign him, knowing that the Red Sox, Angels, and possibly Mariners, Giants and Cubs will be in on the bidding and they won't have Texas' money to defray the cost.

Congratulations to Patrick, Skeith, SoulStation and any other Cleveland fans, on getting it done in New York, driving the stake through the Evil Empire and offing Darth Vader's chief Lieutenant in the process. :g

We all know which team I will be rooting for, so to the greatest extent possible without actually implying that I hope Cleveland wins, good luck in the ALCS and may the best team win in a hard fought, well-played series. There can't be any excuses as the pitching is lined up and there is plenty of rest for both teams, so let's find out which of the 96 win teams is best.

Congratulations to Patrick, Skeith, SoulStation and any other Cleveland fans, on getting it done in New York, driving the stake through the Evil Empire and offing Darth Vader's chief Lieutenant in the process. :g

We all know which team I will be rooting for, so to the greatest extent possible without actually implying that I hope Cleveland wins, good luck in the ALCS and may the best team win in a hard fought, well-played series. There can't be any excuses as the pitching is lined up and there is plenty of rest for both teams, so let's find out which of the 96 win teams is best.

Thanks Dan and we look forward to coming to Boston. May the best team win.

OK.

Um...Guys?

I think at this point we need to ackowledge the best and most competitive division in the MLB: The NL West.

D'backs vs. Rockies for the right to play in the WS.

In short, the NL West is, in fact, the best. ^_^

Your baseball analysis has been shown to be lacking. Hope you are not in the forecasting business.