The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

Interesting roster decisions for Boston and the Angels:

Bartolo Colon and Gary Matthews are both out for the ALDS. Matthews hurts more than Colon since Colon was out for most of the year anyway, but it leaves a big hole, offensively and defensively, for the Angel lineup. Presumably Figgins moves to the OF, and I don't think that's his best spot.

Meanwhile, Wakefield had a cortisone shot in his back on Saturday and is off the roster. They do think/hope that he will be available to make a start in the ALCS and/or World Series if they go that far. Jon Lester is his replacement as starter insurance, which is an interesting choice over Julian Tavarez. Tavarez didn't get much work in September but he certainly has experience coming out of the pen if a starter has to come out early. Lester made his first relief appearance of his career on Sunday, and has been pretty darn inconsistent in his comeback season. I think the two of them are equally likely to blow up a game; they probably went with Lester because he's going to be with the team for a long time while Tavarez' option probably won't be picked up.

They also made what I see as a foolish roster decision, carrying three catchers - Tek, Mirabelli and Kevin Cash. The main value Kevin Cash showed was that he could catch Wakefield when Mirabelli was hurt. Now Wakefield isn't on the roster but they keep Cash? Makes no sense, even if Tito talked some BS about making sure that they are covered if/when they need to pinch-run. Does this mean the only time they will pinch run is if Tek/Mirabelli or Cash is on base? And if they do that, that means they don't expect to use Ellsbury as anthing other than pinch runner? :blink:

I just can't figure out that roster move, but with Matthews out and Colon not coming back to help out, at this point I have to say that it will be a major, infuriating upset if the Angels advance.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting roster decisions for Boston and the Angels:

They also made what I see as a foolish roster decision, carrying three catchers - Tek, Mirabelli and Kevin Cash. The main value Kevin Cash showed was that he could catch Wakefield when Mirabelli was hurt. Now Wakefield isn't on the roster but they keep Cash? Makes no sense, even if Tito talked some BS about making sure that they are covered if/when they need to pinch-run. Does this mean the only time they will pinch run is if Tek/Mirabelli or Cash is on base? And if they do that, that means they don't expect to use Ellsbury as anthing other than pinch runner? :blink:

It's not done often, but it can make sense. PR for Tek (and Cora could be used) but then be able PH for catcher #2 in the later innings if needed. And often it is needed, especially if the PR for Tek didn't score earlier. Who are the better bench options?

Love Bill Simmons take on JD Drew:

We knew about the "no emotion" thing, as well as the "penchant for taking called third strikes to kill late-inning rallies" thing and the "he may not have any actual blood in his body" thing, but everyone's main concern about Drew was that he couldn't stay on the field. Well, he stayed on the field. In fact, most of us wanted him off the field so Jacoby Ellsbury could play. We couldn't get this guy off the field. Then he started hitting in September (.342 BA, 1.072 OPS, 4 HRs, 18 RBIs) and you could totally see how these scouts and GMs get sucked in by the J.D. Drew Experience -- he has five tools, he uses them all, and he has the world's most perfect swing. Now I don't know what to think. Is he getting hot at the right time? Is he suckering us in for the ultimate screw job? Am I going to be peeing blood in two weeks because of him? There's no way to know. I hate this. I hate not knowing.

Ha!!! I just knew the Red Sox Nation would fall for this! I stand by my prediction:

Sep 8 2007, 03:10 PM' post='691345']

Don't worry about JD. Now that Boston's safely out in front, he'll turn it on and get some decent stats, and then the Redsox Nation will be all excited: "JD is on a roll, he's gonna kill in the play-offs!" Then you'll get to watch JD go 5 for 40 in the play-offs. Here's what you can always expect from JD: Gutless play in any situation.

Edited by Matthew

There's one big difference in what you said, Matthew:

Turns out the Red Sox weren't safely out in front on September 8. So its not really true that Drew came up with some decent stats when it didn't count. It did count down the stretch in allowing them to clinch the division and home field.

There's one big difference in what you said, Matthew:

Turns out the Red Sox weren't safely out in front on September 8. So its not really true that Drew came up with some decent stats when it didn't count. It did count down the stretch in allowing them to clinch the division and home field.

In a week Dan, you'll be acknowledging the greatness of my baseball insight regarding JD. In fact, it's ok to admit that now. :P

my picks

al 1st round

indians

angels

al champ

indians

nl 1st round

dbacks

phillies

nl champ

phillies

ws champ

indians in 6 games

My 1st round picks:

Rockies take the Phils.

Angels knock off the BoSox.

Cubbies v. AZ is a toss up....but the D'backs are one tough team to beat.

Cle'lan is just happy to be there....damn yonkers will win.

Yes, and it really boggles the mind that in all of his regular season starts, he has two complete game shutouts while in the post-season he is already tied for second all-time with three.

Now we'll see if Dice can follow it up with some magic of his own; seeing as the Angels have never seen him, I have a good feeling that he will. Not to mention the fact that they really only have one home run hitter, Vladi, and if Dice has a problem its the long-ball, I like his chances even more. So long as we hit Escobar, we should be well situated.

We'll have to see if the Rockies win was a crushing one for the Phils or not, but no doubt its a very bad day when your one decent starter can't get the win at home.

You could say the same thing about the Cubs except for the fact that after the number 1 starters, I think its fairly clear that the Cubbies smoke the D-Backs two and three. That's why I was telling my Mom that while it would be nice, a win in game 1 is not critical. On the other hand, having to face Webb twice in a five game set means its possible that Arizona only has to win one other game.

Fun game at the Jake for Tribe fans, though there was quite a bit of drama early. C.C. Sabathia really struggled with his control (and Froemming's strike zone) all night (which for him was just 5 innings). I think quite a bit of it was being amped up for his first playoff game since 2001. Uncharacteristically, he walked six. Surprisingly, none of the six scored. He "scattered" four hits, including solo homers to Damon and Cano and a double to Abreu. Perhaps the biggest moment was his last inning. Yankees had the bases loaded, only one out, the hyped Jorge Posada up with a 3-0 count, and Sabathia really struggling to throw strikes. Jorge gets the green light and fouls it off. About 3 pitches later, he strikes out. Matsui then pops out to shortstop and the inning ends with the Tribe still ahead 4-3. This really shows how Sabathia has matured--in previous seasons he would have lost his cool, started yappin at the umpire, and just start throwing as hard as he could. Tonight, he fought threw his tough situations (...of his own making). Then in the bottom of the 5th, the big sticks come out for the home team...

Wang had as much difficulty, if not more, throwing for the Yankees. One of the few bright spots for NYY might have been Phil Hughes who pitched well in two innings (though it was definitely a blowout by then, and he did surrender one of the 4 Tribe HRs). It will be interesting to see if this goes 5, how well CC does, and how confident the Yankees will be about facing him.

Kenny Lofton was huge. A couple of key RBI hits with two outs, especially early when the game was still close. He was my favorite player on the teams of the mid-90s. Great to see him getting key hits, and stealing a base.

And the bullpen returned the favor to Sabathia (who averaged 7+ innings per start and threw 4 complete games during the regular season). The combination of Rafael Perez, Jensen Lewis, and Rafael Betancourt combined to throw 4 innings, giving up just 1 single (which should/could have been caught), and striking out 6. This may be the source of Indian fan frustration if Joe Borowski melts down in some other game--there are other talented relievers who could close much more effectively for this team than JoeBo (at the very least, the 2 Rafaels).

So it's just one game, but a good start for the underdog Tribe. Hopefully Fausto will be dealing tomorrow afternoon, and Old Man Pettitte won't be. One cost to the Tribe is that their best lefty reliever, Perez, threw 31 pitches (in the sixth and seventh), so he probably is not available Friday night.

skeith: wear that Tribe hat proudly!! (you only live once...and after all the fun may last only another week or so) :rolleyes:

Edited by Patrick

Go Tribe!!!!!!!!!!

I am walking around NYC with my Indians cap on, so if you never hear from me again, you will know what happened.

You might want to stay out of the bar at the Ramada Inn in Yonkers. Better yet, just stay out of Yonkers altogether.

NEW YORK -- Two men attacked a Red Sox fan outside a Yonkers hotel Thursday night, beating him so badly he ended up in the intensive care unit, police said.

The incident began when the two victims, Carlos Ortez and Walter Ostromecki -- one of whom was wearing a Red Sox hat -- were in the bar of the Ramada Inn late Thursday night, according to police.

Suspects Duane Somers and Edward McConaughey made a comment about the Red Sox, leading to a heated exchange, police said.

The suspects allegedly followed the Red Sox fans out into the parking lot, where they attacked Ortez, who ended up in the in an intensive care unit with broken facial bones.

Ostromecki managed to get away.

Somers and McConaughey have been arraigned on assault charges.

Indians looked very impressive last night.

Yankees are going to have a tough time, but I think they will still pull it off.

If Carmona pitches well today, I wouldn't expect it. And working in the Indians favor is the fact that they had tremendous success against lefty starters this season. Pettitte better put his poor September behind him and pitch like its 1999 or the Yanks will go home the same way that the Cubs are: hoping to go on a three game win streak.

I also find it interesting that Torre says he is considering bringing Wang back on three days rest for Game 4. How much of that is worry about Mussina and how much of that is wanting Wang to pitch at home, where he is much more of an ace, than on the road where he's basically mediocre?

Patrick, I'm surprised you're asking; the format for all seven game series is as its been since forever. 2 - 3 - 2.

Patrick, I'm surprised you're asking; the format for all seven game series is as its been since forever. 2 - 3 - 2.

Just doublechecking with all these tweaks to accommodate television etc. I successfully purchased a pair of tickets for each of four possible LCS games to be played at the Jake. (Yeah, the fourth one requires enduring a 7 game series against the Angels--unlikely to happen for a variety of reasons). If the Tribe gets that far, gotta figure out whether to fly or drive from the DC area, how much annual leave to take, how long I can wait before purchasing airfare with miles etc. ...My daily commute is about an hour, so these early evening weeknight starts are killin me. At least Monday is Columbus Day.

Tribe definitely hasn't locked anything up yet, but you gotta figure tonight's game is pretty darn close to "must win" territory for the Yankees.

Anyone else a tad bit underwhelmed by the TBS coverage? Nothing outrageously bad, but...(1) I put Tony Gwynn in the same category as a lot of other ex-player analyst/talking heads (Eduardo Perez, Fernando Vina, ...). Is he really providing any value over the course of a 3 hour plus game? Brenly is serviceable if not spectacular, at least he's not McCarver. As far as talking heads go, I guess I prefer the reporters Kurkjian, Olney, Gammons. (2) I was amused that the TBS graphics initially credited Martinez' homer to Ryan Garko. Never mind that Martinez is their MVP (and should finish top 5 for AL honors). I guess they were too distracted at that moment by Craig Sager's compelling interview with drummer John Adams out in the left field bleachers. (3) And the TBS version of K-zone. At least when I saw it in action, the graphic seems to always make the pitch appear much more off the plate than it actually is. Not a big deal, but kinda lame. On the plus side, Ernie Johnson does a fine job hosting, and maybe Cal and Big Hurt are alright in the studio (though I haven't yet been overwhelmed by keen insights). Initially I thought they were spending a whole break between innings in the studio because they didn't sell the time for commercials (...or couldn't figure which Law & Order to promote). That break from playing another chorus of the Lofton DHL commercial is nice.

And working in the Indians favor is the fact that they had tremendous success against lefty starters this season. Pettitte better put his poor September behind him and pitch like its 1999

One thing to keep in mind is Pettitte isn't a normal lefty. Lifetime lefties hitters have hit for a higher average off him than righties by 10 points. Some of the brighter managers know this and sometimes don't use their normal platoons. Pettitte pitched a good game at Cleveland last August for what it's worth. That said, who knows how he'll come out today, as those Indians were mighty impressive yesterday. Kenny Lofton played like Rocky Colovtio. :)

Fun game at the Jake for Tribe fans, though there was quite a bit of drama early. C.C. Sabathia really struggled with his control (and Froemming's strike zone) all night (which for him was just 5 innings). I think quite a bit of it was being amped up for his first playoff game since 2001. Uncharacteristically, he walked six. Surprisingly, none of the six scored. He "scattered" four hits, including solo homers to Damon and Cano and a double to Abreu. Perhaps the biggest moment was his last inning. Yankees had the bases loaded, only one out, the hyped Jorge Posada up with a 3-0 count, and Sabathia really struggling to throw strikes. Jorge gets the green light and fouls it off. About 3 pitches later, he strikes out. Matsui then pops out to shortstop and the inning ends with the Tribe still ahead 4-3. This really shows how Sabathia has matured--in previous seasons he would have lost his cool, started yappin at the umpire, and just start throwing as hard as he could. Tonight, he fought threw his tough situations (...of his own making). Then in the bottom of the 5th, the big sticks come out for the home team...

Wang had as much difficulty, if not more, throwing for the Yankees. One of the few bright spots for NYY might have been Phil Hughes who pitched well in two innings (though it was definitely a blowout by then, and he did surrender one of the 4 Tribe HRs). It will be interesting to see if this goes 5, how well CC does, and how confident the Yankees will be about facing him.

Kenny Lofton was huge. A couple of key RBI hits with two outs, especially early when the game was still close. He was my favorite player on the teams of the mid-90s. Great to see him getting key hits, and stealing a base.

And the bullpen returned the favor to Sabathia (who averaged 7+ innings per start and threw 4 complete games during the regular season). The combination of Rafael Perez, Jensen Lewis, and Rafael Betancourt combined to throw 4 innings, giving up just 1 single (which should/could have been caught), and striking out 6. This may be the source of Indian fan frustration if Joe Borowski melts down in some other game--there are other talented relievers who could close much more effectively for this team than JoeBo (at the very least, the 2 Rafaels).

So it's just one game, but a good start for the underdog Tribe. Hopefully Fausto will be dealing tomorrow afternoon, and Old Man Pettitte won't be. One cost to the Tribe is that their best lefty reliever, Perez, threw 31 pitches (in the sixth and seventh), so he probably is not available Friday night.

skeith: wear that Tribe hat proudly!! (you only live once...and after all the fun may last only another week or so) :rolleyes:

Patrick

I could not agree more with your rather accurate game summary and thanks for your good wishes.

As for my Tribe hat - before the game yesterday while walking through Manhattan where I work, I was passing a construction site and began to hear boos. Then some guys dropped their tools or whatever and came over to the sidewalk to boo me. But after I said something like "we'll see tonight" - eveyone laughed - so initially I got a bit concerned but it turned out to be good natured.

On the other hand, after my wife heard about the Yonkers incident, she practically ripped my Indians cap off my head.

But I had another one in my bag, which I am wearing in the office.

And working in the Indians favor is the fact that they had tremendous success against lefty starters this season. Pettitte better put his poor September behind him and pitch like its 1999

One thing to keep in mind is Pettitte isn't a normal lefty. Lifetime lefties hitters have hit for a higher average off him than righties by 10 points. Some of the brighter managers know this and sometimes don't use their normal platoons. Pettitte pitched a good game at Cleveland last August for what it's worth. That said, who knows how he'll come out today, as those Indians were mighty impressive yesterday. Kenny Lofton played like Rocky Colovtio. :)

I was at the game Pettite pitched in Cleveland and as you say, it was a good game for Andy. On the other hand, of the three games in that series (which the Yankees swept), the Pettite game was the only game that the Indians could have won and I think they lost by only two runs. The other games in that series the Yanks won by much larger margins.