The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

Well, Seattle did something productive and managed a split, so the teams are tied heading into the last four games. Advantage goes to Boston since I am sure that the tie-break is season series and the Sox won that. So its up to Cleveland to outplay us; we can stay status quo and have home field throughout.

You should send your gift baskets to Joe Borowski, and perhaps to Eric Wedge who keeps running him out there, even though he has better alternatives. Tuesday night JoeBo blew a two run lead in the ninth, but the Tribe was able to recover in the 12th. Last night, in the second game of a doubleheader (after playing 12 the night before) he blows a one run lead with two out in the ninth by serving up Jeff Clement's (who's that?) first career home run, and they lose in 10. Wedgie says they wouldn't kill themselves to have the best record, and last night's starting lineup was evidence of that. You can't expect to win every game, but after Sowers and Jensen combine for 7 shutout innings, you hope you can squeak by on a couple of solo home runs (Shoppach and Garko). Not to be.

If the Tribe doesn't win it all, I sure hope it's not due to Borowski. This is different than Jose Mesa in '97. But pananoia will run rampant whenever he's put in a close game (3 runs or less).

Joe Nathan made things interesting in the ninth at Fenway tonight, but Varitek and Youk failed to deliver with the bases loaded so the Twinkies survived Ortiz going 4/4. Paul Byrd has already served up a two run blast in Seattle, but Lofton has responded with a run scoring triple, and its still early. Hopefully Tribe will score a bunch against Baek.

While having the long schedule would benefit the Tribe the most, this is because their 1-2 starters are the best pair out there. I don't think they give up much running Byrd or Westbrook out against the 3/4 guys on the other AL playoff teams, so it's not the end of the world if they host NY and play the long schedule. Minn at Boston while Cle goes to KC for their final series. Should be interesting (though not as tight as all the NL races!).

Edited by Patrick

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MOTHERFUCKING CHRIST.

Beckett gets hammered, yet we only trail by one in the ninth inning. Second and third, one out, and we go IBB, strikeout, strikeout.

And the motherfucking Yankees don't play Jeter, A-Rod or Posada or use Rivera to close and they beat the fucking Devil Rays anyway.

THIS was the fucking night to get it finished and they fucked it away. :rmad:

Yeah, I was kind of surprised to see the Yanks apparently giving up on tying the Sox for 1st place, by playing a bunch of 2nd stringers in tonight's game. To top it off, with a 2 run lead, they bring in not Mariano, but Jose Veras to close out the 9th, the same Veras who got hammered the other night when the Yanks blew a 5 run lead to the Devil Rays. This time he comes through and whaddayouknow, 2 games out with 3 to go. If tomorrow is like tonight, the AL East can become quite interesting the last two days. But I'm not counting on it. I think the Yanks will again go with lots of rest for the regulars tomorrow evening in Baltimore.

Patrick,

there is no doubt what the biggest weakness the Tribe has. Its the closer. Take their setup crew and give it to the Yankees, the Yankees are much better than they are. Put Rivera in place of Borowski (or K-Rod, or Paps) and the Tribe should be the favorite. Now, other team's starting pitchers may get the job done, or the offense may slump in October, but the biggest problem going in is spelled B-O-R-O-W-S-K-I.

I think the Yanks will again go with lots of rest for the regulars tomorrow evening in Baltimore.

Why would Torre possibly do that? As you say, if the same thing happens Friday, suddenly its an interesting weekend, particularly since the Yankees only need a tie. Torre would be a fool not to play to win tomorrow. If the Sox win, fine. Rest half the lineup Saturday and the other half Sunday. If they win and the Sox lose, you're in business.

Of course, if it all falls apart for the Sox, what do the Yanks get? The Angels. :g

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08262007/sport...ut_nl_east_.htm

kevinkernan.jpg

August 26, 2007 -- MEMO to Jimmy Rollins: The best team won.

Yes, it's still the dog days of August and the Mets have to travel to beautiful Philadelphia tomorrow, but the NL East race is over. Though the Yankees are fighting for their playoff souls, the Mets are merrily on their way to another October.

This really wasn't much of a race. Despite all the Mets problems, despite the fact they left the door wide open in the division, the Phillies and Braves have not been able to step through the portal.

The Mets may wind up winning the East after all but it doesn't change the fact that this he was totally wrong.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Well, tonight's games are shaping up pretty well so far:

Cubs winning, Padres just took the lead over the Brewers, so the Cubs could be doing the champagne thing soon;

The Amazins are continuing their collapse and the Phils are winning (honestly, I'm not really glad that the Mets are losing but at this point you kinda have to root for the underdog to complete the comeback and for the historic collapse to actually happen;

Dice-K had his best start in about two months for the first six innings before weakening and giving up two in the seventh - this leaves me with a real worry: who pitches the eighth? Oki had a great return last night but my guess is that Gagne gets another chance to show what he can do. I can only cover my eyes and hope and pray that he's got Papelbon ready to come in if necessary. Yanks keep scoring on the O's, so the Sox are going to have to get it done themselves.

(Can Yankee fans be too encouraged about Mussina after tonight's start? I didn't think so.)

Well, silly me, Dice-K ended up being the bridge to Papelbon. Fortunately he worked around a one out walk by getting a double play grounder. Paps closes it out. Dice finally gets off that 14 in the win column and the magic number is down to

:g

I'd say this decision by Tito shows:

A] that Tito doesn't yet trust Gagne with a critical game on the line

B] I think that they are hoping to win tomorrow and skip Schilling on Sunday, and then give Schilling the start in the second game and a little bit of rest for Dice before he starts game 3 on the road. I didn't even think that Dice would pitch the seventh with a 4-1 lead if they were going to minimize his pitch count and have him ready for his post-season debut.

BTW, if there is anything to be excited about, its the way Papi is hitting, he's now set the mark for doubles by a DH, breaking Edgar Martinez' mark and is setting a career high in BA, and best of all, he has been pounding the ball off (and over) the Monster for the last few days. Great signs.

Also excellent is that Manny is getting hits, and believe it or not, JD Drew has an OPS at or above 1.000 in September. If he keeps that up in October all will be forgotten. :g

and believe it or not, JD Drew has an OPS at or above 1.000 in September. If he keeps that up in October all will be forgotten. :g

How's that Kool Aid tasting? :g

Gonna be tasting mighty sweet after the ALCS!!

:g :g :g

;)

edit: Oops I thought that was Patrick havin' fun with me. Guess I should say it will be tasting mighty sweet after the WS. :g

Edited by Dan Gould

Cole Hamels threw a gem tonight. Man if the Marlins bullpen can just hang on........

And the Met collapse is complete! Phils in first place with a magic number of 2!!!!

Damn.

The NY media, especially the tabloids, are going to go absolutely apes**t. I wouldn't be surprised if that ratchets the pressure up so high that the Mets lose both remaining games.

I don't really care for the Mets, but feel sorry for Willie Randolph...

Nice to see the Bosox finally clinch their division (...5 days later than LA and Cleveland). :)

And it is fitting that the Cubs clinch on the same evening as well.

Orioles had a brief moment where they looked like the Nats--scrappy and not willing to give up even down by three in the ninth. And Mariano is still an effective closer, but not nearly as intimidating as he once was.

Cy Cy Sabathia had a performance somewhere between Beckett last night and Dice tonight--solid 7 innings, 3 runs, gets the win. JoeBo up to his usual practice: gets first two guys out then puts two on (while nursing a 2 run lead) before closing it.

Exciting night, especially in NL...and not everything is resolved yet...