The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well Matthew it didn't matter in the end since the Yankee bats woke up in a big way, but that started out as a very annoying game, with a 1 run deficit and like three potential scoring opportunities lost on double play grounders. After a couple of years, I've learned that is how Wang manages to win. :excited:

Here's hoping Hughes doesn't regain his touch tomorrow and the M's can come out with two of three. At least Washburn is a more consistently decent pitcher than Ramirez. And at least the Sox kept it up against the Jays, and thanks to the Yankee offense, Beckett will beat out Wang as the first 17 game winner by about forty five minutes. :party:

And how about the latest Sox rookie phenom, Jacoby Ellsbury! He hits two homers in 450 ABs in the minors, and then two homers in 30 ABs in the majors. Also went a double shy of the cycle tonight, and has already made a couple of web gem catches in the OF. I'm glad Coco has bounced back a bit and re-established some value, because its obvious that Ellsbury needs to be the starting CF next year.

Dan, Doesn't this Ellsbury kid remind you of a young Johhny Damon ?

Well of course, and in fact when Ellsbury was drafted in 2005 and ESPN was showing highlights from his college career, someone in the Red Sox clubhouse yelled out "Hey Johnny, come look at your replacement". :g

Well, that was truly pathetic, M's fans. :bad:

Here's hoping you can find some pitching for next season cuz it sure as hell ain't there this year.

My only consolation today is that the Angels lost so the Sox remain the best team in the league, which, so long as everything stays status quo, leaves the Yankees trying to beat their arch-nemesis of the Torre era as the wild card team.

Well, that was truly pathetic, M's fans. :bad:

Here's hoping you can find some pitching for next season cuz it sure as hell ain't there this year.

My only consolation today is that the Angels lost so the Sox remain the best team in the league, which, so long as everything stays status quo, leaves the Yankees trying to beat their arch-nemesis of the Torre era as the wild card team.

Yeah, pretty ugly performance by the bullpen, but not surprising since they've been worn out this season. Think getting blown-out like that put the final nail in coffin of play-off chances.

I'm pretty sure some team will finish above .500, it would be mind-blowing if the Cards actually wn the division, with that roster, and that performance for 85% of the season.

Meantime, the stat of the day to cheer up Yankee fans and depress Tiger and M's fans is that no team as far as 3 games back of the wild card at this point has won it; the only team that managed to force a playoff game lost. I think I got that right from Jayson Stark's column. :mellow:

I guess at this point I have to hope that the Angels hold off the Indians for second best record. Otherwise, it could end up with the Sox hosting the Angels in the first round. I'd really prefer to deal with the Indians, even though they are playing quite well, and let the Halos send the Yanks packing.

Does anyone know exactly how many off-days they've added to the playoff schedule? I saw some quote suggesting that a team could go all the way with three starters and one closer. I don't mind the schedule helping the Red Sox bullpen, because Okajima is clearly showing the strain of the longer season and more innings and no one knows what Gagne will give us. I'm perfectly happy seeing Papelbon record some four out saves whenever necessary, but it would suck if that allowed the Yankees to avoid using their questionable setup men and the losers at the back of their rotation.

Dan: This is what I got of the MLB website:

Major League Baseball announces revamped postseason schedule

2007 World Series to begin on Wednesday, Oct. 24; Format includes off-days for flexibility

Major League Baseball announced its schedule for the 2007 postseason today.

The 2007 World Series is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, October 24th. The World Series will continue to follow a 2-3-2 format, meaning that off-days will be scheduled on the ensuing Friday and Tuesday. FOX Sports will broadcast the 103rd World Series.

The 2007 postseason will begin on Wednesday, October 3rd, with three of the four Division Series in play. One of the two American League Division Series will begin on Thursday, October 4th. Any decisive fifth game of a Division Series will now be preceded by an off-day. All Division Series games, which will continue to follow a 2-2-1 format, will predominantly be airing on TBS with additional games on sister network TNT.

The National League Championship Series, to be broadcast by TBS, is scheduled to start on Thursday, October 11th, with the American League Championship Series beginning the following day, Friday, October 12th on FOX. Each series will continue to follow a 2-3-2 format.

"Major League Baseball is pleased to make these amendments to the postseason schedule," said MLB President & Chief Operating Officer Bob DuPuy. "Starting the World Series in the middle of the week, when television viewership is historically higher, will provide more fans with the opportunity to watch the games. The additional off-days throughout the postseason will give us greater flexibility to facilitate travel and protect against poor weather."

2007 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE

Series Date Network

NLDS A Game 1 Wed., Oct. 3 TBS

NLDS B Game 1 Wed., Oct. 3 TBS

ALDS B Game 1 Wed., Oct. 3 TBS

NLDS A Game 2 Thurs., Oct. 4 TBS

NLDS B Game 2 Thurs., Oct. 4 TBS

ALDS A Game 1 Thurs., Oct. 4 TBS

ALDS A Game 2 Fri., Oct. 5 TBS

ALDS B Game 2 Fri., Oct. 5 TBS

NLDS A Game 3 Sat., Oct. 6 TBS

NLDS B Game 3 Sat., Oct. 6 TBS

ALDS A Game 3 Sun., Oct. 7 TBS/TNT

ALDS B Game 3 Sun., Oct. 7 TBS/TNT

NLDS A Game 4 Sun., Oct. 7 TBS/TNT

NLDS B Game 4 Sun., Oct. 7 TBS/TNT

ALDS A Game 4 Mon., Oct. 8 TBS

ALDS B Game 4 Mon., Oct. 8 TBS

NLDS A Game 5 Tues., Oct. 9 TBS

NLDS B Game 5 Tues., Oct. 9 TBS

ALDS A Game 5 Wed., Oct. 10 TBS

ALDS B Game 5 Wed., Oct. 10 TBS

NLCS Game 1 Thurs., Oct. 11 TBS

NLCS Game 2 Fri., Oct. 12 TBS

ALCS Game 1 Fri., Oct. 12 FOX

ALCS Game 2 Sat., Oct. 13 FOX

NLCS Game 3 Sun., Oct. 14 TBS

ALCS Game 3 Mon., Oct. 15 FOX

NLCS Game 4 Mon., Oct. 15 TBS

ALCS Game 4 Tues., Oct. 16 FOX

NLCS Game 5 Wed., Oct. 17 TBS

ALCS Game 5 Thurs., Oct. 18 FOX

NLCS Game 6 Fri., Oct. 19 TBS

ALCS Game 6 Sat., Oct. 20 FOX

NLCS Game 7 Sat., Oct. 20 TBS

ALCS Game 7 Sun., Oct. 21 FOX

WS Game 1 Wed., Oct. 24 FOX

WS Game 2 Thurs., Oct. 25 FOX

WS Game 3 Sat., Oct. 27 FOX

WS Game 4 Sun., Oct. 28 FOX

WS Game 5 Mon., Oct. 29 FOX

WS Game 6 Wed., Oct. 31 FOX

WS Game 7 Thurs., Nov. 1 FOX

Looks like they added two off days for the play-offs, keeping the World Series the same format.

Source: Glaus received steroids

Former World Series MVP and four-time All-Star Troy Glaus, currently a third baseman for the Toronto Blue Jays, received multiple shipments of performance-enhancing steroids through an allegedly illegal internet distribution network, according to information obtained by SI.

A source in Florida with knowledge of the client list of Signature Pharmacy, an Orlando-based compound pharmacy, alleges that between September 2003 and May 2004, multiple shipments of nandrolone and testosterone were sent to Glaus at a Corona, Calif., address that traces to the player. Though the information only pertains to receipt and not actual use of steroids, both nandrolone and testosterone were on Major League Baseball's banned list at the time.

Glaus, then with the Angels, missed much of the 2003 season with a tear in his right rotator cuff and frayed labrum and underwent season-ending shoulder surgery after attempting a comeback in 2004.

The prescriptions, written in Glaus' name, were obtained through New Hope Health Center, a California-based anti-aging clinic that advertises the sale of anabolic steroids and human growth hormones on its Web site. The prescription was processed by Signature. The prescribing physician was Ramon Scruggs, M.D. According to the Medical Board of California, as of March 2007, Scruggs has been on probation and is prohibited from prescribing drugs over the internet. He also was reportedly involved in a lawsuit with Mobile-based Applied Pharmacy, which, ironically, was the subject of a previous multi-agency raid. (Contacted through New Hope and given the chance to comment on Friday, Scruggs responded with expletives and ended the conversation abruptly.)

Glaus hit 47 home runs in 2000, his breakout season, for the Angels. He was named World Series MVP in 2002. Despite missing significant portions of several seasons, he has hit 277 home runs in his career, an average of better than one every 16 at-bats. Messages seeking comment left for Glaus through both the Blue Jays and his agent were not returned.

But Matthew, you say that pitchers are coddled nowadays, yet you object to a hundred pitch outing at the end of ST. Which is it? :P

It's all Hegelean:

thesis---->antithesis---->synthesis!

I always knew that B.A. in philosophy would come in handy one day. :D

teams are just trying to protect the more than huge investments they have in many of these guys. (no-cut long-term contracts)

. Now, it's going to be stupid cold if you get a Mets vs. Red Sox World Series.

Actually, the more I think of this schedule, with the World Series possibly going into November, the more I like it. This way, I can pretend that football season never started, and just transition smoothly into basketball. Holy Guacamole, I'm already sick of hearing about football.

. Now, it's going to be stupid cold if you get a Mets vs. Red Sox World Series.

Actually, the more I think of this schedule, with the World Series possibly going into November, the more I like it. This way, I can pretend that football season never started, and just transition smoothly into basketball. Holy Guacamole, I'm already sick of hearing about football.

I'm sick of football, too, but there is no transition to basketball for me, so hopefully I won't have to turn my attention entirely to football until late October, November 2 at the latest. :g

And can we do everyone a favor and euthanize the Orioles. Absolutely brutal. As summarized in a Thomas Boswell column in the Washington Post this morning, in their previous 15 games the Orioles have been outscored 149-66. Basically losing 10-4 every day for two weeks. No team in history has given up that many runs in a 15 game span. Losses include 30-3, 11-3, 15-8, 10-0 (and no hit), and 17-2. Several of these games were against the Devil Rays. Tonight's 4-0 loss to Boston sets a Camden Yards record 11 straight losses at home. Their last home win was a Bedard victory against Texas. Overall 4-17 in their last 21 games (home and away).

Daniel Cabrera has some natural talent, but he is a complete head case. He's in his 4th season, and should be beyond this by now. In tonight's loss, Crisp induced a balked in run by dancing around at third. Full story not yet available, but something upset DC (Palmer and Hunter suggest it may have been yapping from the visitor's dugout). He then hits Pedroia high, a baseball non-fight breaks out (complete with the bullpen choruses running on stage) and Cabrera wants to go after somebody. He gets tossed and likely will miss his next start due to a suspension. Just plain stupid. Overtaxed and underwhelming bullpen pitches 5 1/3 innings and gives up just one run. [ultimately probably wouldn't have mattered given how well Lester pitched.]

And didn't that stretch all start with the interim manager getting the "interim" removed from his title?

What is especially sad with the bullpen is that was where they spent all the money last off season, and look what it got them - the worst bullpen ERA in the league, I believe. What bothers me a little is that with the losing streak stretching so long at home, they'll probably get at least one win in the last two games of this season series. I mean, even the worst teams manage to win at some point. I'd love to get the sweep though - and to see the Orioles continue to torment the Yankees, somehow.

I believe that if the Red Sox maintain their winning percentage the rest of the way, they'll finish with 98 wins, and would leave the Yankees having to go 20-1 to tie. Looks like they're going to get one tonight though - Joba has two more scoreless innings to his credit, 3-2 heading into the ninth. With Detroit beating Seattle, its now time to send all the positive vibes toward Motown. The only way they can challenge the Yanks is if one of these teams sweeps, so it will have to be Detroit. They do seem to be playing a bit better lately ...