• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is from Fox News today:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293256,00.html

Study: Major League Baseball Umpires Call Strikes Based on Race

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Major League Baseball umpires are more likely to call strikes for pitchers of the same race or ethnicity, a new study finds.

Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin analyzed every pitch from the 2004 through 2006 major-league seasons to explore whether racial discrimination factored into umpires’ decisions to call a pitch a strike or a ball.

Just as discrimination in the labor market can affect disparities in wages, promotion and performance evaluation, the researchers said, possible discrimination by umpires could affect the outcome of games and careers.

During a typical baseball game, umpires call about 75 pitches for each team (they call about 400,000 pitches over the whole season, excluding foul balls), so an umpire’s evaluation heavily influences pitcher productivity and performance.

“Umpires judge the performance of players every game, deciding whether pitches are strikes or balls,” said study leader Daniel Hamermesh, an economist who will present his findings next month at his campus and later at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. “Discrimination affects the outcome of a game and the labor market, determining the pitcher’s market value and compensation.”

The researchers found if a pitcher is of the same race or ethnicity as the home plate umpire, more strikes are called and his team’s chance of winning is improved.

The power to evaluate players’ performances disproportionately belonged chiefly to white umpires, while negative calls particularly impacted minority pitchers, Hamermesh said.

But this behavior diminishes when the umpire's calls are more closely scrutinized — for example at ballparks with electronic monitoring systems, in full-count situation where there are 3 balls or 2 strikes, or at well-attended games.

Hamermesh said the study is drawing more comments, so far, from his colleagues than any of his previous work.

"I did not know how many economists are hung up on baseball," he told LiveScience.

ascertaining umpires to be human is a significant accomplishment.

:rofl:

They must be trying to make up for this all in one night, all against the braves white players! ^_^ Seriously, last night's game had some of the worst umpiring(against both teams) I have ever seen! Chipper Jones was called out on a pitch 6-7 inches inside. Helped Bobby Cox break John McGraw's tossed out of game record. Braves woke up and scored their first 4 runs of the game.

Then, the often maligned Bob Wickman(terrible on the road, not one run given up at the Ted) had what most people thought were 6 strikes called balls!!!! :angry: And he doesn't exactly have the stuff to get away with those kind of calls, so the 4-3 lead was lost. Yet another John Smoltz win taken away from him. If he doesn't get in the HOF, the blowpen the last two years will be the reason. Anyway, Wickman gave up only one run, and we came back in the bottom of the 9th. So not all was lost....wonder how many baseball umps like to gamble? :huh:

Un fucking believable how they managed to lose. Let's pull to within 1 in the ninth against the worst bullpen in the league and have the tying run at second with no outs and the top of the order coming up.

Then, let's have Pedroia, Youklis and Ramirez strike out.

And meanwhile, the Yankees tie it up on a two out, three run homer in the ninth and then have Mariano, who is clearly going through his annual August swoon, gives up three runs in the top of the tenth. Think the Oriole bullpen can protect a three run lead given a second chance?

No, I don't either. The goddamn lead ought to be EIGHT and instead it may be only four.

Dan, I can totally emphasize with the inability to bring home runners in scoring position when there are no out. Manny and company obviously grabbed the blueprints away from Sizemore, Peralta, and company.--Tribe had a similar exercise of futility Tuesday night against Detroit (...and quite a few others since the ASB). At least the Orioles were able to hang on against Yankees.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about who should win the upcoming 8 Tiger/Yankee games :)

[Little comfort for you, but at least they can't both win those games...]

Tonight was the perfect night of baseball. Fausto was dealing (8 innings, 10K, 1ER, 4H, only 6 balls hit out of the infield). Extra base hits from Sizemore, Blake, Gutierrez and gimpy Hafner. Borowski pitched an uneventful ninth. And every AL team with a better record than the Tribe lost (Det, LAA, Sea, Bos, NY).

Dan, I can totally emphasize with the inability to bring home runners in scoring position when there are no out. Manny and company obviously grabbed the blueprints away from Sizemore, Peralta, and company.--Tribe had a similar exercise of futility Tuesday night against Detroit (...and quite a few others since the ASB). At least the Orioles were able to hang on against Yankees.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about who should win the upcoming 8 Tiger/Yankee games :)

[Little comfort for you, but at least they can't both win those games...]

Tonight was the perfect night of baseball. Fausto was dealing (8 innings, 10K, 1ER, 4H, only 6 balls hit out of the infield). Extra base hits from Sizemore, Blake, Gutierrez and gimpy Hafner. Borowski pitched an uneventful ninth. And every AL team with a better record than the Tribe lost (Det, LAA, Sea, Bos, NY).

Is it OK if I pull for Cleveland over Detroit once those Yankee games are out of the way? ;)

Seems to me there are two news items that no one is talking about:

Jose Offerman

and

the fact that the defending champions are just 3 1/2 games out right now

I have to say that between the two former Red Sox on the LI Ducks roster, I would have bet on Jurassic Carl Everett to try to bash in the brains of a pitcher, not Jose Offerman. It is a close call though.

So where is Mark Sheldon to tell us about the Redbirds comeback? :rhappy:

Its "the future is now" time at Fenway Park as top pitching prospect Clay Buchholz gets his first start (poor Wily Mo Pena was the victim of the roster squeeze) ... and Clay gets no support from his defense as Drew drops a fly ball and an unearned run crosses the plate.

Fortunately the bats are back, and they've batted around, plated six in the bottom of the first, including five extra base hits, and these are off of John Lackey!

Now if the kid will settle down we can have a great start to this day-night doubleheader, with Beckett facing Erwin Santana, who is simply horrid on the road, in the nightcap. ESPN had the matchups as Buchholz-Santana and Beckett-Lackey and that was fine by me, I figured the first game would just be a slugfest, and we'd take our chances with two of the best starters going in the second game.

But I'll take it the way its going so far! :g

It will be interesting to see if the Nationals play him every day, or just in some sort of platoon. Well, just checked the Nationals outfield, egad! What a pathetic outfield!!! Ryan Langerhans(Who admittedly is not playing much) is still God-awful... .154!!!! I guess Willie Mo will be their centerfielder??? :excited:http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...ye_wily_mo.html

Oh, and the nationals are 55-66 (And so many predicted 120 losses!) with a several starters hurt much of the year and oufielders Austin Kearns, and Ryan Church driving in 48 RBI's each. Really, besides Ryan Zimmerman and Dimitri Young, who is any good on that team???

It will be interesting to see if the Nationals play him every day, or just in some sort of platoon. Well, just checked the Nationals outfield, egad! What a pathetic outfield!!! Ryan Langerhans(Who admittedly is not playing much) is still God-awful... .154!!!! I guess Willie Mo will be their centerfielder??? :excited:http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...ye_wily_mo.html

Oh, and the nationals are 55-66 (And so many predicted 120 losses!) with a several starters hurt much of the year and oufielders Austin Kearns, and Ryan Church driving in 48 RBI's each. Really, besides Ryan Zimmerman and Dimitri Young, who is any good on that team???

The GM of the Nationals used to hold the same position with Cincinnati, if I'm not mistaken, and has always loved WMP. So its hardly surprising that he ended up there. It does kinda suck that its a PTBN, considering we gave up Arroyo for him, but given the circumstances, its not really that surprising.

Too bad he goes to such a huge park but if anyone can hit 40-50 at RFK its gotta be Wily Mo. I'll definitely be rooting for him ...

Meanwhile the kid looks a little nervous, giving up some walks but not too many hits; through four he hasn't allowed an earned run and looks like he could still go six innings or even seven, if he gets a little more efficient (67 pitches through four innings - hey that's better than Lester has been doing!)

Well I guess I spoke too soon. The fifth started with a strikeout but then he gave up four straight singles to score two runs and only got out of it on an unassisted double play off a line drive hit at Youklis.

I'd still let him pitch the sixth, at only 82 pitches so far. But Tito should pull him at the first sign of trouble.

Well, the kid got the win, went six innings and allowed four runs (three earned) on 8 hits, walked three and struck out five. I should be ecstatic with the win, which puts them six games in front of the Yanks, but I have to wonder about Tito's use of the bullpen. Okajima went 1 2/3 and Papelbon got a four out save. I can't imagine either one will pitch tonight, and that means that if we have another save situation, Gagne will surely get the call.

I gotta say its a curious move and I hope we clobber Santana so it doesn't come back to haunt us.

And the Tribe managed to get by Edwin Jackson (3-12) and the D-Rays. Got 12 hits but managed only to score two runs. Fortunately, that was enough for Byrd, Perez, Betancourt, and Borowski. And the Tigers lost, so Tribe back in first by a half game. Now if only the Chisox can get after the Mariners...

Maybe Gagne should not pitch in the 8th or 9th until he demonstrates some ability to get more guys out than not...

And what the fuck happens???

That motherfucking piece of fucking shit fucks away a four rally in the eighth.

THREE FUCKING WINS FUCKED AWAY BY HIM IN FOUR FUCKING APPEARANCES!

I suppose it won't make your day any better to tell you that Gabbard came back and pitched 6-2/3 of outstanding baseball tonight. I mean, we lost as well, but it's nice to have Gabbard in good health.

You have my permission to throw as many FUCK YOU'S at me as you want; I am the last person who would've thought Gagne would've backfired this badly, and would've thought he would've been a major asset to your team. Turns out I was only 3/5 right. :w

And what the fuck happens???

That motherfucking piece of fucking shit fucks away a four rally in the eighth.

THREE FUCKING WINS FUCKED AWAY BY HIM IN FOUR FUCKING APPEARANCES!

I suppose it won't make your day any better to tell you that Gabbard came back and pitched 6-2/3 of outstanding baseball tonight. I mean, we lost as well, but it's nice to have Gabbard in good health.

You have my permission to throw as many FUCK YOU'S at me as you want; I am the last person who would've thought Gagne would've backfired this badly, and would've thought he would've been a major asset to your team. Turns out I was only 3/5 right. :w

My anger is not at you, Al. I wish you and Gabbard many years of happiness.

I also cordially invite your GM to throw as much money as possible at Gagne to bring him back for next year, insuring another lost season at Arlington.

:g