The Baseball Thread 2007

Tim McG

You know....it never ceases to amaze me how people puff themselves up to be some sort of expert on something they know absolutely nothing about.

99% believe this 400,000 support that. Uh-huh. Right. People have traditionally booed the opposing team's good player. I boo my lungs out every time the hated Jeff Kent comes to bat. It's tradition...you know, like hot dogs and beer? But I never recall any team's fans ever cheering an opposing batter when he goes yard. Guess what...they all cheer Barry Bonds, Boyz. Read this and weep. This hasn't happened since Aaron was beating the [extremely overrated] Babe.

Now how the hell do people like this know what the actual figures are? Did they do a scientific study...had an anti-Bonds grant of some sort? Something? It is total bullshit and they know it....so they jam me up in order to justify their baseless opinions. Nice.

But, I guess, single-minded blowhards must, in fact, blow hard.

Why, I do not know.

I prefer to talk baseball.

Call me spoiled.

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You haven't even attempted to refute anything I've said about steroid-built muscle mass allowing Bonds to artificially pump up his HR numbers.

I see no point in engaging you with your name calling.

Edited by Aggie87

You haven't even attempted to refute anything I've said about steroid-built muscle mass allowing Bonds to artificially pump up his HR numbers.

"Expert" is a name you object to...really? :blink:

And you haven't backed up anything you said [beyond some media inspired photo op and unsubstantiated percentages] while I have refuted it all...you just don't agree with me. So what? It don't mean squat, Aggie. It's a friggin' game, fer crissakes. OK?

But whatever....I wish you well, Aggie.

Peace to you.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Man, this is still going on? :huh: Must be something in the water in San Fran, they are soooo loyal to Bonds!

I could go on about how I used to defend Bonds, how unlike other Steriod users, he didn't suffer all the kneee trouble....then, his knee acted up, and that spring training how he started to defend using enhancers...but, dude...just watch This week in Baseball on espn classic. They had one from 1982, and everyone is skinny! Remember Enos Cabell , Omar Moreno? Skinny ass speed merchants who couldn't hit a home run more than every 50 games? Why not, if muscles don not help one hit homers? They were skilled, no doubt.

How come Coco Crisp doesn't hit balls 500 feet like Wily Mo Pena? They both are skilled athletes.

And how come....Bonds started to hit home runs at a much higher rate in his mid 30's, just when he got much bigger???

Well, glad to say, case closed! :P

Now, back to real baseball talk, the Giants seem to be overloaded with starters, which makes them about the only team in baseball in that situation. Who you going to trade to the Tampa Bay team? I want to see Tampa ahead of the Yankees, and the Red Sox, and soon! :P:P

Edited by BERIGAN

"Expert" is a name you object to...really? :blink:

And you haven't backed up anything you said [beyond some media inspired photo op and unsubstantiated percentages] while I have refuted it all...you just don't agree with me. So what? It don't mean squat, Aggie. It's a friggin' game, fer crissakes. OK?

You didn't call anyone an expert. Saying "...people puff themselves up to be some sort of expert on something they know absolutely nothing about" is a bit different than calling someone an expert. Does that really cause you confusion?

Look back at what you write, bro - "single-minded blowhards must, in fact, blow hard"

I still don't see that you've refuted any of the discussion about steroids, muscle mass, and artificially increased power hitting. All you've done is try to deflect the muscle mass discussion by pointing the finger at ALL athletes since 1960, and you've tried to kill the messenger (the media). That's the sum total of your argument, apparently.

Edited by Aggie87

Goodie's been going to bat for Bonds on threads like these for ages. I'm afraid you'll all have to agree to disagree, there's no changing his opinion on this matter.

As far as any professional atheletes who are actually steroid users go, it's no wonder who gets the last laugh. Those guys still get to cash their checks. Hall of Fame, Schmall of Fame.

Dodgers started hot and cooled off. Hopefully the offense will pick it up again.

I haven't looked at this thread in a long time but I have to say I was quite surprised to see someone actually making a case for Barry Bonds. I understand we're all fans and you should be loyal to your team, etc. but this seems to go beyond that. Anybody who talks about the "overrated" Ruth has to be a little suspect I'm afraid.

Pre steroid Barry was a HOF candidate. Steroid Barry has destroyed his reputation and it's enough of a travesty that he passed Willie on the HR list. Hitting 756 is a milestone that should be suspect and never celebrated until an honest athlete comes along and passes Aaron's mark.

Similarly, as far as I'm concerned, the single season mark for HRs still belongs to Maris.

The Giants can have Jeff Weaver in a trade with the Mariners..... PLEASE!!! :bad:

I live near Fresno State and when he pitched for them he was sterling. But his pro career [except for last year's World Series performance] has beem medeocre at best, I'm afraid.

I wonder what went wrong?

Edited by GoodSpeak

Noj,

Was thinking of Alzado following your previous post--had his poster hanging in my bedroom in junior high. Recall a sad appearance he made on Arsenio Hall one night, in which he looked in bad shape, and gave Arsenio a game ball from a Browns playoff game. Steroid users cash the checks, HOF, etc., but at least in a few cases, pay the price big time.

The Giants can have Jeff Weaver in a trade with the Mariners..... PLEASE!!! :bad:

I live near Fresno and when he pitched for them he was sterling. But his pro career [except for last year's World Series performance] has beem medeocre at best, I'm afraid.

Perhaps the same thing that happened to Kerry Wood. When he was pitching at Grand Prairie, he was smokin' 'em left & right. Now, he's already washed up. Sad.

I live near Fresno and when he pitched for them he was sterling. But his pro career [except for last year's World Series performance] has beem medeocre at best, I'm afraid.

Perhaps the same thing that happened to Kerry Wood. When he was pitching at Grand Prairie, he was smokin' 'em left & right. Now, he's already washed up. Sad.

I never cared for Weaver. Use to watch him when he pitched for the Yanks and my thought was why would a pitching-starved team like the Tigers trade him to the Yanks? It was fairly obvious after a season.

Apparently Duncan was able to do good things with him last year but he was too stupid to realize that he should stay with the Cardinals.

Edited by Brad

Jeff's brother Jared looks like a keeper for the Angels, though.

Jared was very good for my alma mater Long Beach State as well....a couple College World Series appearances, if memory serves.

Maybe it all boils down to which school the brothers graduated from ;)

Edited by GoodSpeak

I hope the Giants front office holds off on bringing Linceum up from Fresno....remember the disaster with then phenom Jesse Foppert?

Foppert was throwing gas then he got the call and was just lit up in the Bigs...after that he went into the tank. Traded to Seattle then back to Fresno.

And Morris stays put. You guys can't have him or Matt Cain. :P

OTOH, Armando "What strike zone?" Benitez can go away anytime. What tragedy on two legs that guy is...ugh.

I hope the Giants front office holds off on bringing Linceum up from Fresno....remember the disaster with then phenom Jesse Foppert?

I don't think that had anything to do with him being brought up too early. Look at Cain. Foppert was just overhyped (as were Ainsworth and Williams).

I'd like to think so, but after the Liriano trade, I wouldn't rule anything out.

I don't think that had anything to do with him being brought up too early. Look at Cain. Foppert was just overhyped (as were Ainsworth and Williams).

I'd like to think so, but after the Liriano trade, I wouldn't rule anything out.

Good point.

We lost Joe Nathan in that trade, too.

Grrrrr :angry: