That Devlin' Tunes "Night in Tunisia"

medjuck

I'm into the 4th volume of Allen Lowe's terrific history of Jazz cd/book collection and though I haven't' heard all of the cds yet I have read all the books and have a discographical question. Allen (if you read this) or anyone else: in the last volume there's a mention of the "one surviving performance" of Dizzy's 1944 band but there's no corresponding cut on the cds. There is a very bad sounding recording of "Night in Tunisia" in Volume Three but it's listed as being from 1943.

The Gillespie discography I have doesn't list any performance of "Night" before 1945 and no recordings of any Dizzy led band in 1944.

The discography is more than 20 years old (yes Chuck I did buy it). Is this a more recent discovery? Should I presume that it's really from the 1944 band and is that really Budd Johnson?

It was on a Masters Of Jazz CD

It made its initial appearance on volume 4 of the Dizzy Gillespie series on Masters of Jazz.

It is listed as:

DIZZY GILLESPIE-OSCAR PETTIFORD QUINTET

DG, tp, Budd Johnson, tenor, George Wallington, p, Oscar Pettiford, b, Max Roach, dr.

Broadcast Onyx Club, NYC, Jan. 1944

This was recorded from the radio by Bob Redcross.

The liner notes to that vol. 4 include a photo of that quintet at the Onyx Club.