Warning - New Phishing Expedition

I just received what looked like a normal Paypal message confirming a payment. Of course, I haven't used my Paypal account in about two weeks ... but only because Firefox popped up a message that I might be going to a dangerous site did I pause, think about it, and log on to Paypal from a new browser window.

Here's the thing: the message had this at the bottom:

If you have not authorized this charge, click the link below to cancel the payment and get a full refund.

I'm pretty sure that's not something that Paypal includes in its confirmation messages. :wacko:

<whew>

I received it today as well. The phishing intent is quite obvious. The user is informed that a payment has been made at his expense, and then follows a link to dispute the transaction.

What I find sad is that some ebay sellers seem to sell email adresses to these scammers and to spammers. The mail was sent to my main email adres, which I only use with "serious" webstores and on Ebay.

Well, it was the first time that I've seen this one, and it definitely got my attention (initially) way more than any other of those types of messages. I think my first instinct was "there is no link in a Paypal Confirmation to dispute a charge" but that was nearly overwhelmed by the instinct which said "WTF? I made no such charge!"

If Firefox hadn't popped up with the warning message, I might have actually got caught in that phishing net, and I usually think of myself as fairly web savvy when it comes to this shit.

I've been getting faux-PayPal shit--with astonishing frequency--for a couple years now. What I always do is go to PayPal and open up my actual account to check for any unusual activity... and there never is any.

Right! All you do is just zoom over to payPal and have a look. Why would anyone start clicking links before doing that? I got one this morning as well -- some Dick's Sporting Goods crap or something.

I received it today as well. The phishing intent is quite obvious. The user is informed that a payment has been made at his expense, and then follows a link to dispute the transaction.

What I find sad is that some ebay sellers seem to sell email adresses to these scammers and to spammers. The mail was sent to my main email adres, which I only use with "serious" webstores and on Ebay.

I just received a phish notice purportedly from Paypal that is distinguished in a couple of respects:

>It addresses me by my name.

>It was received on my new email account, which has only been active for 5 weeks.

It was most likely an Amazon seller that gave my name and address to this scammer--my guess would be someone with a large sales volume, although I don't rule out the possibility that it could instead have been an administrator at Verizon, Amazon, or Ebay-Paypal. Lots of suspects and little evidence. Fuckers.