Tell Me about Charlotte, NC

I feel no sympathy for either of you.

:D

Edit: I once spent a summer in Houston. I have felt your pain.

I've spent 42 summers in Houston, and I'll take the blast-furnace heat and humidity here over Northern winters any day. I haven't even had a functioning air conditioner in my car for the past two years, but I may break down and get it fixed before this summer. Hasn't been a real big issue, as my daily "commute", if you can call it that, is only ten minutes.

When? Midnight?

When I moved to Florida in '93, my car had no AC, and it was absolutely brutal. I can't imagine happily living with no AC if all it needed was a repair.

Morning + evening commutes are no big deal. The worst part of the day during summer is between 1-4PM.

And I can't say I've been "happily" living with no AC, but the previous diagnosis was a leaking compressor seal. Usually the entire compressor is replaced in such cases, and that's probably a $1200 repair. Until now, I haven't been too inclined to spend that kind of cash fixing it, but recently I've decided to go through and fix or upgrade the things that need fixing or upgrading on the car instead of buying a new one, and if I follow through with that plan, the AC will get fixed.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the currently mild weather here in Hell's VIP Room. :cool:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lupie's chicken and dumplings

The Coffee Cup grease

Penguin fried pickles, burgers

Plaza-Midwood Central Ave area is all great really. Still seedy in 2001.

Lang Van pho

Alexander Michael's pub, hang, bartender with good taste in music's name is Paul

Neighborhood Theatre, Visualite Theatre music

Baja Fish Taco dude i grew up with moved to charlotte(why?) from cabo and opened a restaurant in an old pharmacy with some friends to serve authentic taco stand tacos

Price's Chicken Coop wait in line on the side walk for your chicken

Thai Taste house noodles (not on menu)

Manifest Disc and Tape, Ernie's Music (Manifest is the go-to, but I found some surprisingly great shit at Ernie's every once in a while. Plus, I could walk through the woods to get there!

Moosehead, the whole Montford scene

Anntony's in Elizabeth (Carib chicken) fan-fucking-tastic

Mr. K's in Dilworth burgers

I'll keep adding to this list. This is off the top of my head. I assume all of these places are still there. Its been a while.

Let me know what I can do for you. I live on the coast, about 3.5-4 hours from Charlotte, depending on where you are going to be living. NC exists outside of city limits.

imp-- i'm not contradicting yr list-- make the best of not-the-best situation & of course there's some ok stuff... at the same time, compare that what you'd say abt Asheville or Athens (for starters). but those are ringers... Tampa/St Pete doesn't count (but blows it away) but Greenville & maybe even Columbia, SC do.

NOTE: by far most southernas of this gentleman farmer's aquaintance say goddamn , not "darn."

woo!

edc

clem, i'm only trying to soften the blow for guy... remember, i gladly left charlotte for the warm winds of providence, ri before getting back to new liverpool. ain't much that could bring me back to charlotte, other than a visit. fact of the matter is, i HOPE all of those places are still there. and there are plenty of other places that were there when i was, but aren't anymore. everything that everyone has said on this thread is true. i'm just trying to give guy a few places to get started.

charlotte and athens (GA) aren't even in the same country!

• 2 months later...

hehe

I'm travelling to Charlotte this weekend.

One of my equipment vendors (Husqvarna) gave me an all expense paid trip for two including seats in their corporate suite and the entrance to the garages for the Coca Cola 600. Yeeeehaaawww! :P

I'm no Nascar fan, but the trip was too good to pass on.

It's a "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy for the suites, so I think I'm safe. :w

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm down here. Lots of boxes to unpack.

Guy

Have fun, let us know what the music scene is like! :cool:

I'm curious too. There're some good players in Charlotte if they haven't retired; e.g. Willie Gillam(sp), alto, and I-forget-his-first-name Hannah, piano & tbone. I've also heard of some good younger cats too, but I'm out of that loop.

re: Morganton, NC What's happening jazz wise in Morganton? [i might move there in a year or so.]

• 2 weeks later...

I just made my first ever visit to a Walmart Supercenter. Goddamn, it's a big store.

Guy

I have a Walmart about 10 min from here...I wonder what the dif is.

Supercenters have a full supermarket (meat, seafood, produce, etc) inside the store, unlike regular Walmarts. Not sure if there are other differences.

Guy

Edited by Guy