Tell Me about Charlotte, NC

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: Summers are excruciatingly hot.

Are they really that bad compared to say, NYC?

Guy

Even with New York being a "heat island", the five hundred miles lattitude makes a huge difference.

and while you may enjoy a more mild winter, be prepared when it does snow or you get snow showers or even slightly slippery conditions. Southerners don't have a freaking clue how to drive in it. Including the transplants.

I lived in Charlotte for 1 year, I then took a demotion from work to be transferred to a different city...that's how bad I wanted OUT of there. Absolutely no soul, no atmosphere, no class...bad traffic, overzealous cops, sky-high taxes, Nascar fans...

If you do end up moving there, I would suggest crossing the state line into SC, it's not any nicer but it is cheaper to live there.

Edit: Summers are excruciatingly hot.

Are they really that bad compared to say, NYC?

Guy

Well, there are trees and stuff to help keep it cool in NC. But we get long stretches where the heat index exceeds 105 F, and we still have summer (less brutal but still summer) in October. Brace yourself.

I feel no sympathy for either of you.

I lived in Charlotte for 1 year, I then took a demotion from work to be transferred to a different city...that's how bad I wanted OUT of there. Absolutely no soul, no atmosphere, no class...bad traffic, overzealous cops, sky-high taxes, Nascar fans...

If you do end up moving there, I would suggest crossing the state line into SC, it's not any nicer but it is cheaper to live there.

Auto insurance is really cheap in NC. Might offset the taxes.

Guy, you doing the same state to state move I did in Sept 06; CT to NC (I'm in Durham). In the winter here (though I haven't experienced this yet) it's more ice storms than snow. I haven't been here long enough to have an opinion other than I've realized being from New England, I swear a lot for no reason, but here they really don't do it. They say dang a lot. The people I work with are very nice people, easy to get along with. I felt Hartford, CT was pretty soulless, I didn't spend much time in New Haven, but it just looks better than Hartford. I like to quote my brother (who's been here since 1992) on going outside of the Triangle of Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh: "That's dirty T-shirt country."

:D

Edit: I once spent a summer in Houston. I have felt your pain.

I've spent 42 summers in Houston, and I'll take the blast-furnace heat and humidity here over Northern winters any day. I haven't even had a functioning air conditioner in my car for the past two years, but I may break down and get it fixed before this summer. Hasn't been a real big issue, as my daily "commute", if you can call it that, is only ten minutes.

:D

Edit: I once spent a summer in Houston. I have felt your pain.

I've spent 42 summers in Houston, and I'll take the blast-furnace heat and humidity here over Northern winters any day. I haven't even had a functioning air conditioner in my car for the past two years, but I may break down and get it fixed before this summer. Hasn't been a real big issue, as my daily "commute", if you can call it that, is only ten minutes.

When? Midnight?

When I moved to Florida in '93, my car had no AC, and it was absolutely brutal. I can't imagine happily living with no AC if all it needed was a repair.

... still... you look at the nicer old southern houses & they were well-designed to compensate for the heat.

True, but those same houses accomodated the heat by allowing people to leisurize in relative comfort while "other people" did the work. Those "nice old southern houses" weren't built by & for the working class.

And besides, I've spent enough time in enough of them over the years Denton back in the day was full of such that had been turned into rent houses, either in toto or broken up into quasi-appartments) to know that no matter how relatively comfortable they are during the day, in bed at night, if you're upstairs, the only way to get your mind off the fact that you're hot and sweaty until at least midnight is to have somebody in the bed with you to provide an alibi for the sweat...

while most places are weirder than they first appear, Charlotte is about as bad it gets-- there is NO worse southern city. one good soul food place & what's the pop? wake me when there's applebees!! seriously, if someone is able to make it there it's bc they don't ask for much culture or can get it via kinky sex & beer-- which ain't to say those things are bad... Charlotte is like a bigger Des Moines w/a slighter diff accent, minus girls six-on-six basketball-- think about THAT. 10 Southern cities that blow Charlotte the fuck away, working our way south--

Richmond

Charlottesville (but it's expensive)

Winston-Salem

Chapel Hill/Durham

Lousiville

Lexington

Morganton

Nashville

Memphis

ATL

Athens

Tampa-St Pete

not even gonna get into Tejas...

hell, even Jacksonville beats ass on Charlotte & you have a more interesting landscapes too.

hope you LOVE the work Guy & git a good car bc yr gonna wanna use it.

wait-- wait-- pull over!! is that a Cracker Barrel?!?! BENNIGAN'S!!!!

there is some killa Carolina 'Cue, as as killa' as it gets (ain't no Texas or Georgia, tell you that, Son) but it ain't in Charlotte.

edc

Trust me, I lived in Jacksonville for 10 years, it is a much worse city than Charlotte(Though to be somewhat fair, I haven't lived there since 1993 and there have been some improvements) More racists per capita in Jacksonville than anywhere else in the south I've been. By far. Even my Canadian born optician, had lived there long enough to be a racist! I didn't have a single friend who was born in Jacksonville when I lived there......It's the armpit of the south, IMHO.

Guy, one thing I know about Charlotte(was only there once for a few hours, lots and lots of tall insurance buildings I recall) is that the city leaders seem to get what they want. They beat out Jacksonville for an NFL expansion team,(And a few other things I can't think of right now-if Charlotte was in the running, we knew we were sunk) and beat out Atlanta for the NASCAR hall of Fame. Perhaps not your cups of tea, but they don't sit on their hands while someone else gets the brass ring.... and yes, the south is hotter than NYC, at least more humid.