Tell Me about Charlotte, NC

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlotte has lots of bank offices, more public sculpture than the rest of NC, a swell funnybook convention every summer, the Panthers, the Bobcats, at least one really good soul food eatery, and almost nothing else to recommend it. It wants to be Atlanta. But it's not...

Edit: Summers are excruciatingly hot.

Edited by sjarrell

while most places are weirder than they first appear, Charlotte is about as bad it gets-- there is NO worse southern city. one good soul food place & what's the pop? wake me when there's applebees!! seriously, if someone is able to make it there it's bc they don't ask for much culture or can get it via kinky sex & beer-- which ain't to say those things are bad... Charlotte is like a bigger Des Moines w/a slighter diff accent, minus girls six-on-six basketball-- think about THAT. 10 Southern cities that blow Charlotte the fuck away, working our way south--

Richmond

Charlottesville (but it's expensive)

Winston-Salem

Chapel Hill/Durham

Lousiville

Lexington

Morganton

Nashville

Memphis

ATL

Athens

Tampa-St Pete

not even gonna get into Tejas...

hell, even Jacksonville beats ass on Charlotte & you have a more interesting landscapes too.

hope you LOVE the work Guy & git a good car bc yr gonna wanna use it.

wait-- wait-- pull over!! is that a Cracker Barrel?!?! BENNIGAN'S!!!!

there is some killa Carolina 'Cue, as as killa' as it gets (ain't no Texas or Georgia, tell you that, Son) but it ain't in Charlotte.

edc

And then the bad shit happens.

G'bye Guy. :g

I wound up somewhere in the city, a little close to midnight, back in my early teens--my ride had gotten pulled over by the cops and was "in custody" the whole evening (a hispanic dude with a chin piercing; he had been hanging around a fountain waiting for us to meet him there--the cop took one look at his legitimate CA ID and declared that it was "fake"). Wound up having to take a Taxi back to wherever it was we came from, scared shitless by the sordid nightlife, drunken buffoonery, and (I kid you not) skinheads on bicycles. *shudders*

For what it's worth, some of the richer neighborhoods are really beautiful.

And our Taxi driver was a helluva nice guy (no generalizations regarding the locals here).

Edited by ep1str0phy

I have lived in the Raleigh area a couple times and have spent some time in Charlotte, but not enough to comment intimately on the city. I do know that the mountains are close and the beach is maybe 4-5 hours away. Winston and the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill) are not too far away. There are definitely worse places.

Edited by Eric

The good thing about Charlotte is that it's close to the SC border and the fireworks are alot better. There's a good motel in Bennetsville, SC that's good to hole up in if you get caught in a freak snowstorm (it happens!!) while on the prowl for fireworks. You'd be surprised how many Roman Candles you can fire off in a room over a weekend before the carpet starts to melt. :cool:

but face the fucking troof, the hordes who go for corporate cube glass tower jobs are rarely stirring the pot in any way... obviously we can't "fight" that but do you have to join it? UNC/Charlotte is OK so maybe you can fine some simpatico people there-- is that yr gig or one of the other schools?

Actually, I'm selling out to corporate America. Enough of the academic life for me!

Guy

Are they really that bad compared to say, NYC?

Guy

Well, there are trees and stuff to help keep it cool in NC. But we get long stretches where the heat index exceeds 105 F, and we still have summer (less brutal but still summer) in October. Brace yourself.

Are they really that bad compared to say, NYC?

Guy

Well, there are trees and stuff to help keep it cool in NC. But we get long stretches where the heat index exceeds 105 F, and we still have summer (less brutal but still summer) in October. Brace yourself.

Uggh. I take it the humidity is pretty nasty?

I guess the tradeoff is "cold winter" vs "nasty summer".

Fortunately, unlike Connecticut, I imagine every place is air-conditioned.

Guy

I don't know anything about the town, but a good friend of mine- fine saxophonist, Will Campbell recently took a teaching job at UNC-Charlotte, leading the jazz program there. I'm guessing he would know if there's anything happening around town.

Well, then, it sounds like there will be some jazz out there.

Guy