Shirley Scott "Soul Sister"

"The one thing that makes this 1960 session stand out from much of Scott's other work is the prominence of Lem Winchester's vibes as the chief counterpoint to her organ. While this quartet date also has George Duvivier on bass and Arthur Edgehill on drums, there is no saxophone or guitar."

So sayeth AMG :rfr

At the risk of being all phil schaap or something,

this session was released as "Soul Sister" in 1966:

SOUL SISTER

Shirley Scott

Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: June 23, 1960

Shirley Scott (org); Lem Winchester (vib); George Duvivier (g); Arthur Edgehill (d).

a. (2326) Like Young (Andre Previn) - 6:35

b. (2327) Sonnymoon For Two (Sonny Rollins) - 3:58

c. (2328) On Green Dolphin Street (Washington/Kaper) - 4:08

d. (2329) Blues For Tyrone (Shirley Scott) - 9:44

e. (2330) The More I See You (Warren/Gordon) - 6:17

f. (2331) Get Me To The Church On Time (Lerner/Loewe) - 4:37

BUT was released as the SECOND HALF of the 1996 CD also called "Soul Sister"

which also included a cut from:

NOW'S THE TIME (original release 1968)

e. (2332) Now's the Time (Charlie Parker) - 4:35

Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: June 23, 1960

Shirley Scott (org); Lem Winchester (vib); George Duvivier (g); Arthur Edgehill (d).

and all of

TRAVELIN' LIGHT (1964)

Shirley Scott & Kenny Burrell

Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: February 17, 1964

Shirley Scott (org); Kenny Burrell (guitar); Eddie Khan (B); Otis Finch (d).

a. Travelin' Light (Young/Mercer/Mundy) - 4:41

b. Solar (Miles Davis) - 6:02

c. Nice And Easy (Keith/Bergman/Spence) - 4:33

d. They Call It Stormy Monday (Aaron Walker) - 11:06

e. Baby It's Cold Outside (Frank Loesser) - 3:48

f. The Kerry Dance (traditional) - 3:02

Weiztown Hall of Municipal Records

I guess they just mean that it stands out in terms of its relatively unusual instrumentation. Whatever. The current CD issue of this material is a twofer, in which SOUL SISTER is paired with TRAVELIN' LIGHT, which DOES include a guitarist (one Kenny Burrell, in FINE form). I'm a huge Lem fan as well, so I'm recommending this twofer! :tup

So what's up with this new "best of" posthumous tribute album that Fantasy has apparently released called QUEEN OF THE ORGAN? It's been in heavy rotation on KNTU, and of course it's totally rockin' stuff, but as far as I'm concerned, there's only ONE album called QUEEN OF THE ORGAN, and it ain't on Fantasy!

:tdown for Fantasy's exploitation of another label's legacv.

So what's up with this new "best of" posthumous tribute album that Fantasy has apparently released called QUEEN OF THE ORGAN? It's been in heavy rotation on KNTU, and of course it's totally rockin' stuff, but as far as I'm concerned, there's only ONE album called QUEEN OF THE ORGAN, and it ain't on Fantasy!

:tdown for Fantasy's exploitation of another label's legacv.

Hey, but I DIG that new CD!!!! Also, that's the BEST pic of shirley ever on the back!!! :D

For anyone who doubts shirley's ability to be ballsy and lowdown...check out her version of Caravan on this comp. The leslie is PUKING!!!!!

"Grassella Oliphant" on drums?- can't say I've heard that name before.

I'm pretty sure I haven't ever heard anything with Grassella Oliphant, but that name seemed vaguely familiar, so off to the AMG I went...

And low and behold I remembered hearing about this gem on the old BNBB. I've never heard it before, but based on the line-up, it's gotta be a totally baaad-ass date if ever there was one...

Grassella Oliphant: The Grass Is Greener (Atlantic, 1968, doesn't appear to have ever been released on CD - is this correct??)

AMG REVIEW: Drummer Grassella Oliphant's The Grass Is Greener is as good as it is rare. One of many soulful organ jazz dates that have gained cult status among sample hungry hip-hop and acid jazz devotees, this 1967 Atlantic album is packed with great playing and solid grooves (besides recording only one other album as a leader, his 1965 debut The Grass Roots, Oliphant also appeared on dates by singer Gloria Lynne and organist Shirley Scott, among others). With guitarist Grant Green and B-3 master John Patton completing the classic organ combo setup, the trio particularly stretch out on fine numbers like "Cantaloupe Woman" and Patton's own "Soul Woman." While these cuts are marked by a progressive, almost modal sound, much of the other material, which also features tenor saxophonist Harold Ousley and trumpeter Clark Terry, has a more down home and groove-heavy flavor; this is especially true on Terry's "Peaches Are Better Down the Road" and a cover of Allen Toussaint's classic bit of New Orleans soul, "Get Out of My Life Woman." Other standouts include a rendition of Marvin Gaye's "Ain't That Peculiar" and Ousley's breezy Latin swinger "The Latter Days." A great set. — Stephen Cook

Anybody here ever heard this?? Ever been out on CD yet??

"Grassella Oliphant" on drums?- can't say I've heard that name before.

I'm pretty sure I haven't ever heard anything with Grassella Oliphant, but that name seemed vaguely familiar, so off to the AMG I went...

And low and behold I remembered hearing about this gem on the old BNBB. I've never heard it before, but based on the line-up, it's gotta be a totally baaad-ass date if ever there was one...

Grassella Oliphant: The Grass Is Greener (Atlantic, 1968, doesn't appear to have ever been released on CD - is this correct??)

AMG REVIEW: Drummer Grassella Oliphant's The Grass Is Greener is as good as it is rare. One of many soulful organ jazz dates that have gained cult status among sample hungry hip-hop and acid jazz devotees, this 1967 Atlantic album is packed with great playing and solid grooves (besides recording only one other album as a leader, his 1965 debut The Grass Roots, Oliphant also appeared on dates by singer Gloria Lynne and organist Shirley Scott, among others). With guitarist Grant Green and B-3 master John Patton completing the classic organ combo setup, the trio particularly stretch out on fine numbers like "Cantaloupe Woman" and Patton's own "Soul Woman." While these cuts are marked by a progressive, almost modal sound, much of the other material, which also features tenor saxophonist Harold Ousley and trumpeter Clark Terry, has a more down home and groove-heavy flavor; this is especially true on Terry's "Peaches Are Better Down the Road" and a cover of Allen Toussaint's classic bit of New Orleans soul, "Get Out of My Life Woman." Other standouts include a rendition of Marvin Gaye's "Ain't That Peculiar" and Ousley's breezy Latin swinger "The Latter Days." A great set. — Stephen Cook

Anybody here ever heard this?? Ever been out on CD yet??

Grass is Greener...it was cut just 2 weeks before "Got A Good Thing Going." It even has 2 of the same songs "The Yodel" and "Soul Woman." It's a decent session, but doesn't have the magic or fire of GAGTG. It's one I don't pull out very often for those reasons.

It was available as a japanese import cd...also the vinyl comes up on ebay occassionally.