info needed: GENE KRUPA- "live" w/ Anita O'day, featurin

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Tea for Two/the big do/chickery chick/illnever be the same/riff staccato/stompin at the savoy/just a little fond affection/lover

hop skip jimp!/moon mist/you came along/i dont know enough about you/limehouse blues (trio)/gimme a little kiss/well gather lilacs/Leave us leap (label says: leave us leave)

guy wrote in in pen: 1945 or 46 radio transcriptions

also notated buddy stewart is on vox on just a little fond affection, mon mist, and gimme a little kiss (w/ oday as well)

HAVE ANY OF YOU SEEN THIS ONE? DO ANY OF YOU KNOW ANY MORE DISCOG. INFO FOR THIS LP? YEAR OF PRESSING? it looks like a boris rose record but i am not certain. its a photocpied cover, faded yellow paper w/ black ink. lp label is blue,w/ not etchings or info

Hey Chewy, so you're back from your daily (nightly?) dive through the used record bins,eh? :D :D

Well, Bruyninckx sez this:

Contents of "Drum Boogie GK 1468" are the same as on "Nostalgia 136". Some of the tracks are also on Swing House SWH40 (UK).

Tea for Two up to Lover (as per your listing) were recorded at the Hollywood Palladium on Jan. 10, 1946, the rest was recorded at the 400 Restaurant in New York on April 26, 1946.

One of a HUUUUGE number of live recordings by the Krupa band from that period that are listed in that discography.

Enjoy!

Nostalgia was a Boris Rose label. Which most surely was also the case for the DrumBoogie Disc label which issued the date first.

The Gene Krupa band in January 1946 had musicians like Red Rodney, Charlie Kennedy, Charlie Ventura and pianist Teddy Napoleon.

When I was seriously buying vinyls, saw a ton of those Krupa boots. There really was a HUUUGE number of them as BBS mentioned. Got only a couple of those. There were more interesting albums to be bought then!

Nostalgia was a Boris Rose label. Which most surely was also the case for the DrumBoogie Disc label which issued the date first.

The Gene Krupa band in January 1946 had musicians like Red Rodney, Charlie Kennedy, Charlie Ventura and pianist Teddy Napoleon.

When I was seriously buying vinyls, saw a ton of those Krupa boots. There really was a HUUUGE number of them as BBS mentioned. Got only a couple of those. There were more interesting albums to be bought then!

Report:

There is another Gene Krupa by Boris LP called "The Greatest Big Band Combining Swing and Bebop - Gene Krupa 1944-61 and His Great Orchestra Recorded 'Live' - The Transition Years" Tunes are What's This / Out Of Nowhere / How High The Moon / I'll Never Be The Same / Begin The Beguine / G-Bop / I Should Have Kept On Dreaming / Sometimes I'm Happy / Lover / To Be Or Not To Bop / In The Still Of The Night / Disc Jockey Jump / Leave Us Leap / Yesterdays / The Gone Side Of Roy / Dear Old Southland.

This one on Stereomon Renkcurb !! 11D-1810 !!!!. To which is appended "Saturday Fish Prod." Also a yellow cover with a picture of the big band with strings.The record label is black. More broadcast material, of course. AFRS One Night Stand shows likely the source according to a list I made. I cannot verify the accuracy of that, sorry to say.

Report:

There is another Gene Krupa by Boris LP called "The Greatest Big Band Combining Swing and Bebop - Gene Krupa 1944-61 and His Great Orchestra Recorded 'Live' - The Transition Years" Tunes are What's This / Out Of Nowhere / How High The Moon / I'll Never Be The Same / Begin The Beguine / G-Bop / I Should Have Kept On Dreaming / Sometimes I'm Happy / Lover / To Be Or Not To Bop / In The Still Of The Night / Disc Jockey Jump / Leave Us Leap / Yesterdays / The Gone Side Of Roy / Dear Old Southland.

This one on Stereomon Renkcurb !! 11D-1810 !!!!. To which is appended "Saturday Fish Prod." Also a yellow cover with a picture of the big band with strings. The record label is black. More broadcast material, of course. AFRS One Night Stand shows likely the source according to a list I made. I cannot verify the accuracy of that, sorry to say.

An oddball label name if there ever was one!

According to the Bruyninckx discography (again!), Out of Nowhere is from an unknwon location in 1946.

Moon, I'll Never be the same and Beguine are from The Click, Philadelphia, 27 May 1948,

Sometimes, Kept on Dreaming, Gee Bop, Lover, Still of the Night, DJ Jump, To Be ... are from the Hollywood Palladium, L.A., April 1949,

Gone Side is from an unknown date in '49,

Leave Us Leap is The Steel Pier, Atlantic City, 20 Aug. 49,

Yesterdays is from the Arcadia Ballroom, NY, 9 Nov. 1949,

Southland is from the Ted Steel Show, NY. 3 Ovt. 1950.

Oh well ... how many Leave Us Leaps, DJ Jumps and G-Bops do you need? :unsure:

Gona play me Leave Us Leap by the Eraldo Volonté Orchestra for a real change now ;) (Italian recording form 1947 - pretty good punch in the brass and reed sections ...)

Edited by Big Beat Steve