Teddy Wilson

I want to get a bunch of thirties recordings by Teddy Wilson, originally issued on Brunswick between 1935 and 1938. Can anyone advise if there’s a CD compilation including the following tracks, please?

What a little moonlight can do

Sweet Lorraine

Twenty-four hours a day

If you were mine

On Treasure Island

You let me down

Christopher Columbus

All my life

These foolish things

It’s like reaching for the moon

My melancholy baby

Sing, baby, sing

The way you look tonight

Who loves you

I can’t give you anything but love

That’s life I guess

Pennies from heaven

Where the lazy river goes by

Tea for two

This year’s kisses

(This is) my last affair

The mood that I’m in

Carelessly

How could you

There’s a lull in my life

Moanin’ low

I’m coming, Virginia

It’s swell of you

Mean to me

Easy living

Yours and mine

Remember me

You’re my desire

You can’t stop me from dreaming

Ain’t misbehavin’

Nice work if you can get it

My man

You go to my head

MG

HEP Records have issued the complete Teddy Wilson 30's sides chronologically on seven CD's, nicely mastered.

http://www.hepjazz.com/index.html

They ought to be easy to find out your way.

Ah, that looks very good indeed! Thanks a lot. Also good that you can buy them separately.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

I wish someone would issue the '30/'40 material without the Holiday material - I already have that stuff about 4 ways. English and Canadian CBS issued a fine 2 lp set (copied but adapted by US Columbia) of some of the rest called Teddy Wilson & His All-Stars. Great stuff. I had the lps and now have a cd of the first record (found in a Canadian "used" store). Why do the Spanish thieves concentrate on the '50s? :huh:

I wish someone would issue the '30/'40 material without the Holiday material - I already have that stuff about 4 ways. English and Canadian CBS issued a fine 2 lp set (copied but adapted by US Columbia) of some of the rest called Teddy Wilson & His All-Stars. Great stuff. I had the lps and now have a cd of the first record (found in a Canadian "used" store). Why do the Spanish thieves concentrate on the '50s? :huh:

Master of Jazz has reissued all the Wilson sides from the 1930s. These include a pair of CDs made up of small group instrumentals, and 3 volumes titled "Teddy and the Girls" which feature Teddy-led groups supporting singers other than Billie. The Teddy-Billie sides are also on Masters of Jazz but are under Billie's name.

Edited by Brownian Motion

You mean if they were to do pre-50s stuff (that on top of all nicely matches your wants lists) they weren't "thieves" (in your book) anymore? :D :D

(Sorry for digressing again, MG! ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Big Box with 30's recordings:

http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Teddy-Wilso...TF8&s=music

- Jostein

Ooo - that looks good. Amazon says it doesn't have everything, but I've found a track list and will compare.

Thanks very much.

MG

Where is that track list?

Never mind. I found it on the German Amazon site.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

- Jostein

Ooo - that looks good. Amazon says it doesn't have everything, but I've found a track list and will compare.

Thanks very much.

MG

I have that one.

The sound SUCKS!

Beware.

P.S.: I have it because I buy everything that has the name Teddy Wilson on it. :)

- Jostein

Thanks very much.

MG

Where is that track list?

Never mind. I found it on the German Amazon site.

In my experience the sound quality on Document releases is often mediocre at best. If this is a Document box I hope for all buyers the sound is better than usual, otherwise I think you'd be better off with the relatively good-sounding Hep CDs.

- Jostein

Thanks very much.

MG

I have that one.

The sound SUCKS!

Beware.

Just as I thought. The Document CDs that I've heard all suck sound-wise compared to other CDs with the same stuff.

Edited by J.A.W.

OK, this is old material and I'm a HUGE (make that a triple HUGE) fan of Teddy Wilson, but that box was a big disappointment. Yes, it doesn't cost anything really (I only paid 9 Euro on eBay, as far as I recall), but even for that amount of money, it was crap (unless you listen to the stuff on some boom box, in which case it should be fine and a real bargain).

I have nothing to compare it to but the Heps, and they're lightyears better in sound.

BTW: Not all Documents stuff has crappy sound, but you have to be really careful. We talked about an Artie Shaw box here a few months ago, which is quite good (Membran = Documents) and the Piazolla one that Brownie was raving about. They were real bargains at 9 Euro per box.

Edited by neveronfriday