The Police reunite on the Grammys last night

Rooster_Ties

They are planning a world tour in 2007. I wonder if there will be a new album?

A new compilation, from what I've heard... I'd be very surprised to see a new studio album.

More like a new box set, according to some supposedly good sources. Also (supposedly), it will include a quite a bit of previously unreleased material, though what that might consist of... (demos?? -- previously unreleased live material?? -- live-in-the-studio-run-thrus?? -- etc.) ...is a subject open to rampant speculation.

Unfortunately the one track-list that's been circulating is just a bunch of previously released remixes of Police tunes, plus a repackaging of the live double-CD -- so I'm completely inclined NOT to believe it (and suspect it's not at all real).

But there is supposed to be some sort of new Police box coming (by Xmas? - wild guess), FWIW.

They are planning a world tour in 2007. I wonder if there will be a new album?

A new compilation, from what I've heard... I'd be very surprised to see a new studio album.

More like a new box set, according to some supposedly good sources. Also (supposedly), it will include a quite a bit of previously unreleased material, though what that might consist of... (demos?? -- previously unreleased live material?? -- live-in-the-studio-run-thrus?? -- etc.) ...is a subject open to rampant speculation.

Unfortunately the one track-list that's been circulating is just a bunch of previously released remixes of Police tunes, plus a repackaging of the live double-CD -- so I'm completely inclined NOT to believe it (and suspect it's not at all real).

But there is supposed to be some sort of new Police box coming (by Xmas? - wild guess), FWIW.

Coming out on the new Mosaic PostPunkPop label? :cool:

Coming out on the new Mosaic PostPunkPop label? :cool:

LOL

Although I was a fan back in the day, I don't thik the Police have aged very well (the music, not the muscles). To me, while The Clash, London Calling, This Years Model and Setting Sons still sound incredibly compelling, the Police just seem kind of clever and frankly boring. Maybe I can't get over the fact that Sting is such a tool, because I do think the other two have talent and were good players.

Edited by Eric

Sorry people. All y'all who're hatin' on The Police are just plain wrong.

I think most of their music HAS stood up as well or better that anything released during that same timeframe ('77-'83).

Has "Every Breath You Take" aged well?? Or "King of Pain" or "Wrapped Around Your Finger"?? Well, no, they certainly haven't. But 80+% of their total output is as fresh today as when it came out. Nearly everything on their first four albums is great, and probably the better, more "hard-hitting" half of their fifth (and last) album -- which otherwise marks the beginnings of Sting's march into "solo-esque" Sting material (like all the megahits I cited by name above).

And UNLIKE the Eagles (or Pink Floyd even), this band will probably mix things up quite a lot when they trudge out their older material. The Eagles and Floyd, on the other hand, just recreate their album material in concert, note for note, sound for sound, ZZZZzzzzzz.....

Name me one act as popular that's come on the scene since 1975, that was and still is as capable of group improvisation and relatively complex group interplay??

Copeland is arguably one of the most interesting Rock drummers of the last 30 years (say what you want about liking him or not, but he has a real voice). And Summers has some quite serious improv chops too, well within the same ballpark as some of the best prog musicians you can name. And like it or not, Sting has written some damn fine material in his day. Sure, he's a snoozefest when he's not being challenged (which is about everything he's done since about 1992), but he's a far different animal with Copeland pushing him metrically, and Summers pushing him harmonically. THAT Sting is a serious MOFO, and I think (or at least hope) he's still capable of being pushed and pissed off enough to really matter again.

So yeah, count me as a fan. And if I can somehow swing it, I'll sure be trying to catch these guys on tour, HELL YEAH!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Wow. A lot of old fart comments in this thread.

Well, Sting turns 56 this year, and Copeland will turn 55.

And much to my surprise, Andy Summers turns 65 this year! :o

I had no idea that Summers was almost 10 years older than the other two.

(Not that 65 is all THAT old any more (my Dad turns 80 this year, and I'm pushing 40), but still -- I had no idea that Summers was already 35 years old when he first joined the band in early '78 -- while the other two were only about 25 each.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Name me one act as popular that's come on the scene since 1975, that was and still is as capable of group improvisation and relatively complex group interplay??

I have never thought of the Police as an improvisatory group at all, nor is their music particularly complex. I have seen them live, back in the day, and it was an enjoyable show, but not complex. And there were no improvisatory parts at all, in my recollection.

Groups since 1975 that are capable of group improvisation:

The 80's edition (and beyond) of King Crimson

The 80's (and beyond) edition of the Allman Brothers

Prince

Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble

Phish

Widespread Panic

Medeski Martin & Wood

most of the other jam bands

You could argue about the varying degrees of popularity I suppose. I'm sure there are a number of groups as well.

Maybe I can't get over the fact that Sting is such a tool, because I do think the other two have talent and were good players.

Without Sting the "other two" would be nowhere.

(also, did I hear somewhere that they get $100 Million EACH for this tour?? yeah I would forget our "differences" too)

If the Police's performance at the Grammys is representative of what this upcoming tour will be like, why would anyone spend so much money for a ticket, except for an excuse to party like it's 1979?

Clem has made some good points. In the late 1970s, I don't think that anyone considered the Police a major new heavy band. There was a lot of stuff more interesting at the time.