What kind of guitar amp did Rudy Van Gelder have in the 60s?

monkboughtlunch

Here's a quote from this link:

http://playjazzguitar.com/forum/viewtopic....0d38d66b4ccb822

"Ampeg makes 3 new amps called the J-12T, SJ-12T, and R-12T.

J-12T

15 watts with one 12" speaker. Controls include volume and tone. This is basically a reissue of what Grant Green used on the old Blue Note sessions. Utilizes the EL84 tubes (valves) like the Fender Deluxe, Princeton and Champ."

- Jostein

Rudy had a Fender Deluxe permanently on hand in his studio during the time frame that your talking about. As an aside, Kenny lent Wes his own "Deluxe" and his L-7 for The incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montomery sessions (1959). So it appears that Kenny owned and played a Deluxe during the late 50's/early 60's. Probably not exclusively though, I believe that he also used a Fender Twin. Don't know about GG.

Rudy had a Fender Deluxe permanently on hand in his studio during the time frame that your talking about.

Tom, where did you get the info?

As an aside, Kenny lent Wes his own "Deluxe" and his L-7 for The incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montomery sessions (1959). So it appears that Kenny owned and played a Deluxe during the late 50's/early 60's. Probably not exclusively though, I believe that he also used a Fender Twin. Don't know about GG.

I seem to recall a narrow panel tweed twin in one of the photos on "Up At Minton's".

Edited by Jim R

Here's a quote from this link:

http://playjazzguitar.com/forum/viewtopic....0d38d66b4ccb822

"Ampeg makes 3 new amps called the J-12T, SJ-12T, and R-12T.

J-12T

15 watts with one 12" speaker. Controls include volume and tone. This is basically a reissue of what Grant Green used on the old Blue Note sessions. Utilizes the EL84 tubes (valves) like the Fender Deluxe, Princeton and Champ."

- Jostein

Can anyone confirm that Green really used the J-12T Ampeg? And what year was this model introduced? The T stands for tremolo but the reissue also has reverb. Did the original issue have reverb?

Rudy had a Fender Deluxe permanently on hand in his studio during the time frame that your talking about. As an aside, Kenny lent Wes his own "Deluxe" and his L-7 for The incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montomery sessions (1959). So it appears that Kenny owned and played a Deluxe during the late 50's/early 60's. Probably not exclusively though, I believe that he also used a Fender Twin. Don't know about GG.

I have a Deluxe. Beautiful sound.

Rudy had a Fender Deluxe permanently on hand in his studio during the time frame that your talking about.

Tom, where did you get the info?

As an aside, Kenny lent Wes his own "Deluxe" and his L-7 for The incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montomery sessions (1959). So it appears that Kenny owned and played a Deluxe during the late 50's/early 60's. Probably not exclusively though, I believe that he also used a Fender Twin. Don't know about GG.

I seem to recall a narrow panel tweed twin in one of the photos on "Up At Minton's".

Hey Jim, a few more details below.

Re: Amps on hand at Rudy's studio

I've read this in a couple of different places over the years. The one publication I can positively attribute this to is "The Wes Montgomery Signature Licks Instructional Book" written by Wolf Marshall. I'll try to find the other source(s). Probably another guitar publication or Jazz Improv. I usually save any article having to do with Kenny, so I may still be able to get you some more information on this matter.

Re: Equipment Kenny lent to Wes

My bad, I meant to say Kenny lent Wes the equipment for The Wes Montgomery Trio Album. This is also in the introduction to the Wes Montgomery instructional book by Wolf Marshall. Wolf indicates that Kenny disclosed to him that it was in fact a Deluxe, and not a Twin, as was cited in previous accounts.

I wish Kenny would publish his memoirs and set us all straight on this, and all matters having to do w/Kenny. It's long over due.