John Mellencamp - Freedom's Road

felser

I just got done listening to John Mellencamp's new album, Freedom's Road, and I'm blown away by it. The only other album he's ever done which compares to it is 'Scarecrow', and to be honest, this feels like an even better, even more important album. The truck commercial song ('Our Country') sounds great and has a lot to say, and that is true of every song on this album, I don't think there's a single throwaway here, which is the difference between this and 'Scarecrow', which had a couple. Surely will be the album of the year, and "Someday" surely will be the song of the year. If anyone comes along and beats either of them (and I can't think of anyone out there right now who's even capable of something in this league, except maybe Beth Orton, who isn't due for an album this year), this will be the greatest rock album year in decades. Let me know your thoughts, but only if you've actually listened to the album!

He was just here the other day for an ISDN interview with World Cafe. We're hoping to get an interview ourselves, but haven't been fortunate in that regard yet.

"Minute to Minute" and some of the other Scarecrow stuff holds up very well, I think. I listened to that album for the first time in ages last week. Still like much of Jubilee too.

I really thought he peaked during the Uh-Huh/Scarecrow/Lonesome Jubilee era.

Never liked much of anything he did after that. But this new one sounds like a return to that style.

It is a return to Scarecrow territory especially (doesn't have the acoustic roots textures of Lonesome Jubilee with the accordian and fiddle, etc.), incredibly heartfelt and urgent, as both Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubilee were. I agree those were his peak (Uh-Huh was still a little snotty and a little filler-heavy for me to call it primo). I like what he did after Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubilee, but not like I like those two, and not like I like this new one.

He was just here the other day for an ISDN interview with World Cafe. We're hoping to get an interview ourselves, but haven't been fortunate in that regard yet.

"Minute to Minute" and some of the other Scarecrow stuff holds up very well, I think. I listened to that album for the first time in ages last week. Still like much of Jubilee too.

How widespread is World Cafe? As it originates out of WXPN, the station from my alma mater here in Philly (where Michael Cuscuna got his start, by the way), I have trouble thinking of it as anything other than our own really cool local college station show, but it obviously reaches much farther than that.

I really thought he peaked during the Uh-Huh/Scarecrow/Lonesome Jubilee era.

Never liked much of anything he did after that. But this new one sounds like a return to that style.

It is a return to Scarecrow territory especially (doesn't have the acoustic roots textures of Lonesome Jubilee with the accordian and fiddle, etc.), incredibly heartfelt and urgent, as both Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubilee were. I agree those were his peak (Uh-Huh was still a little snotty and a little filler-heavy for me to call it primo). I like what he did after Scarecrow and Lonesome Jubilee, but not like I like those two, and not like I like this new one.

I'm sold. I'm probably going to pick it up tomorrow when I get the new Norah Jones for my wife.

I'll give a full report. :tup

Scott, get it @ bestbuy. Last week it came with a free disc of acoustic versions of 4 of the songs, and I'm pretty sure that deal is still on. As for Mellencamp, I always thought his best was Lonesome Jubilee/Big Daddy. I really liked the folkish textures. Not sure if I could stand Joan Baez even for one duet, so I'm wavering on this one.

I just got done listening to John Mellencamp's new album, Freedom's Road, and I'm blown away by it. The only other album he's ever done which compares to it is 'Scarecrow', and to be honest, this feels like an even better, even more important album. The truck commercial song ('Our Country') sounds great and has a lot to say, and that is true of every song on this album, I don't think there's a single throwaway here, which is the difference between this and 'Scarecrow', which had a couple. Surely will be the album of the year, and "Someday" surely will be the song of the year. If anyone comes along and beats either of them (and I can't think of anyone out there right now who's even capable of something in this league, except maybe Beth Orton, who isn't due for an album this year), this will be the greatest rock album year in decades. Let me know your thoughts, but only if you've actually listened to the album!

I've listened to the whole album and really like it.

Lots of craftsmanship in this one.

We talkin' 'bout Johnny Cougar?

This message by an old guy who lived in Bloomington in the late '60s.

That would be the one. His name has been changed several times throughout his career. IIRC, it started out as John Cougar, then progressed to John Cougar Mellencamp, and now it's just John Mellencamp.

Kinda bizarre, but I've always dug the cat.

Maybe the next incarnation of his name will be a hip modern version: JMell

That would be the one. His name has been changed several times throughout his career. IIRC, it started out as John Cougar, then progressed to John Cougar Mellencamp, and now it's just John Mellencamp.

Actually not bizarre at all. His real name is Mellencamp, he had the showname Johnny Cougar, and as his music became more real, he also took back his real name (after a fight with the record company, who was appalled at the idea. The John Cougar Mellencamp phase was a transitional compromise so that he would still be recognizable on the shelves back when there were shelves of records in real brick and mortar stores).

Edited by felser

Actually not bizarre at all. His real name is Mellencamp, he had the showname Johnny Cougar, and as his music became more real, he also took back his real name (after a fight with the record company, who was appalled at the idea. The John Cougar Mellencamp phase was a transitional compromise so that he would still be recognizable on the shelves back when there were shelves of records in real brick and mortar stores).

You are way too serious about this stuff.

Just curious: does he take a particular political stance on this album?

Somewhat, but not overt. It's a cry for human decency and the spirit of what this country can be at it's best, like 'Scarecrow' was. I'm a registered republican (who has big problems with both parties), and was not turned off at all lyrically (in fact I found them powerful and thrilling), and I can't imagine that a registered democrat would be turned off either. The album needs to be heard by anybody who's an American. Some of the U.S.-bashing corner of the European crowd won't like the lyrics, but this album isn't for them anyways.

Edited by felser

Just curious: does he take a particular political stance on this album?

Somewhat, but not overt. It's a cry for human decency and the spirit of what this country can be at it's best, like 'Scarecrow' was. I'm a registered republican (who has big problems with both parties), and was not turned off at all lyrically (in fact I found them powerful and thrilling), and I can't imagine that a registered democrat would be turned off either. The album needs to be heard by anybody who's an American. Some of the U.S.-bashing corner of the European crowd won't like the lyrics, but this album isn't for them anyways.

Nothing in the recording to stop another GM commercial.

I hope it's better than that "This is our country" song that's being played CONSTANTLY on commercials. That track is INSIPID garbage for flag-wavers and yellow-ribbon fanatics.

:bad:

Shawn, the commercial takes the song out of context. Remember that GM and Reagan wanted to co-op "Born in the USA" as flag-waver song, and it's anything but. Listen to the whole song.

Chuck, you have your stuff you get way too serious about, too! The name change thing is a fascinating story for anyone that doesn't know it.

Silly edit.

Yes, the uninformed are always fascinated.

You still haven't forgiven me for John Handy - Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival meaning more to me than Albert Ayler, so you're following me around from thread to thread to torture me! I can tell my grandkids that I was harrassed by a legendary jazz producer! :beee:

Edited by felser

Chuck, you have your stuff you get way too serious about, too! The name change thing is a fascinating story for anyone that doesn't know it.

Silly edit.

Yes, the uninformed are always fascinated.

You still haven't forgiven me for John Handy - Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival meaning more to me than Albert Ayler, so you're following me around from thread to thread to torture me! I can tell my grandkids that I was harrassed by a legendary jazz producer! :beee:

I didn't even remember that was you.

Do you think you are being stalked. If so, call for help. I was responding to the words, not the writer.