Barney Kessel Trio

The Rep

I have a vinyl of Barney Kessel Trio called Slow Burn. He has Jerry scheff on bass and Frankie Capp on drums. I just wondered what it was doing on Phil Spector records. Its hard to find much ref to this recording and it always makes me wonder when I play it. It was issued in 1965 and the tracks are,

A Slow Burn,

Just In Time,

The Shadow Of Your Smile,

Recado Bossa Nova,

Sweet Baby,

Who Can I Turn To,

One Mint Julep,

All songs produced by Phil Spector, I am just curious.

There was a vinyl of this Kessel/Spector in one of the stores here. Did not jump on that one!

Should I get hold of it?

I have the LP. It's on Emerald Records, distributed by Phil Spector's Philles label, although Spector did not have a hand in producing the record. Producer credits go to Gary S. Paxton and Kessel. It's a pretty good straight ahead session, perhaps not up to the level of some of his Contemporary albums, but well worth having.

Here's a little more info on the Emerald label:

http://www.bsnpubs.com/la/emerald.html

I think Slow Burn is more in keeping for a title than On Fire, for this album. My notes say recorded live at Marty's club, is that what is printed on your album?. Could not quite read it on the cover. Yes Brownie, like the man said, a pretty good straight ahead session, I would not go chaseing around for it but if your a Kessel fan then it is certainly worth having. Oh, my album has a picture of Kessel sitting playing his guitar on the front.

I think Slow Burn is more in keeping for a title than On Fire, for this album. My notes say recorded live at Marty's club, is that what is printed on your album?. Could not quite read it on the cover. Yes Brownie, like the man said, a pretty good straight ahead session, I would not go chaseing around for it but if your a Kessel fan then it is certainly worth having. Oh, my album has a picture of Kessel sitting playing his guitar on the front.

What is the name of the record label that released your LP?

What is the name of the record label that released your LP?

Phil Spector, then in smaller writing International,

it is a english copy

FWIW, this session is currently available on this Gambit CD:

B000CFYCMU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V57009185_.jpg

The liners identify the session as recorded at P.J.'s in Los Angeles in Summer 1965, and also acknowledge that it was originally released on Emerald (the Amazon description also identifies the original title as "On Fire"). In addition to the 7 PJ's tracks, the CD also includes a track recorded in Denmark in 1969 ("Medley: Manha De Carnaval/Samba de Orfeu"), 3 tracks recorded for Swedish television in 1973 ("Blues", "Basie's Blues", and "The Shadow of Your Smile"), and a 1969 track recorded at Ronnie Scott's that also features Kenny Burrell and Grant Green ("Blue Mist").