Dexter Gordon

mrjazzman

To my fellow Dexter Gordon lovers. Just purchased the LP "Jive Fernando". While in the search mode, came across a CD "Quartet"(thought I had everything) which lists the same titles. Jive Fernando sounds like a live date. The Quartet CD is on the way as I'm writing this. Can someone clear this up for me................

To my fellow Dexter Gordon lovers. Just purchased the LP "Jive Fernando". While in the search mode, came across a CD "Quartet"(thought I had everything) which lists the same titles. Jive Fernando sounds like a live date. The Quartet CD is on the way as I'm writing this. Can someone clear this up for me................

This live date is believed to have been recorded in August, 1970 at the Both/And Club in San Francisco, and this record is certainly a bootleg release, even though it's on Chiaroscuro, usually a legit label. The title track is actually "Fried Bananas". Whoever supplied the titles for this and a companion release on Everest was probably not terribly familiar with Dexter's music.

I never liked it, and although I'm virtually a DG completeist, I don't own it. It's been issued and reissued dozens of times by various cheapo labels over the years. In fact, so many issues have given dubious details, it's often been listed as being recorded in 1981. If the track listings are identical, it's highly likely that your two purchases are the same recordings. The worst thing about all of the bootleg issues is the way they butcher the name "Montmartre".

Oh, and according to Sjogren, Michael Cuscuna believes (or believed at the time the discog was published) that the recording dated to 1969. Fwiw.

is this the album with george duke and donald rafael garrett on it?

Yes, with Oliver Johnson on drums. I like the session OK. It's not a great recording, but Dexter is in pretty good form.

I got my info from Stan Britt's bio-discography. He also suggests that the music may have been recorded in 1969.