Live From Wolfgang's Concert Vault

Sundog

• 3 months later...

Apparently this site has the May 1971 performance by Miles Davis and the Cellar Door band. This is an excellent gig.

There's also a terrific Pink Floyd gig from April 1970.

Guy

That "Miles" is new to the site this week. Got to give it a listen.

• 9 months later...

I recently discovered this site- I'm having a blast going through it- listening to concerts that I wish I could see in the 70s and 80s......I listened to Thin Lizzy from the Tower Theatre in Philly and I recognized some songs were on the "Live and Dangerous" LP. The Chicago concerts are great- and the Genesis shows are awesome!

The big question: is there a way to save them on my computer and have them recorded on CD?? (Was that out loud??) Other than those I can download, of course.....I'd love to play them in my car for my long drives into work. drives.

My PC has two sound cards, or the ability to play while recording simultaneously. I run Goldwave when I play these concerts and then split the tracks, save as wav files and burn CDs. The sound is usually quite decent though I learned not to use IE while the concert streams. The audible "click" on a link uses the same part of the soundcard playing the music and it gets recorded. :o I've also done this on the 25 free plays on Rhapsody. I figure if a company is willing to stream at a decent bitrate, they've got to be aware that people can record simultaneously so why not? No different than recording off the radio in days gone by.

• 2 years later...

Wolfgang has celebrated James Brown's birthday by releasing his 1969 Newport Jazz Festival appearance. What I find interesting is the opening of the concert description:

The jazz police had a field day with the 1969 Newport Jazz Festival, which marked George Wein's blatant capitulation to the burgeoning rock market. While the usual names like Dave Brubeck, Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Phil Woods, Charles Mingus and Anita O'Day were on hand to represent the jazz contingent, a whole host of arena rock bands were booked for the annual summer bash in Rhode Island. In its coverage that year, Down Beat ran the cover line: "Big Crowds, Bad Vibes." And in his report on the festival, respected jazz writer Ira Gitler referred to the whole affair as "the Newport Jive Festival." As he wrote: "George Wein started out as a jazz person but now seems to have become a festival producer rather than a jazz producer." Gitler dismissed headliners like Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention ("a contemporary vaudeville show") and Led Zeppelin ("a lead balloon") as well as John Mayall, Ten Years After, Jethro Tull, Jeff Beck and Sly Stone. Gitler's colleague Dan Morgenstern also had little use for the rock acts, though he was considerably kinder to James Brown. As he wrote: "This was the most professional presentation of the festival, running smoothly from start to finish."

Here's a link to the JB show:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/james-brown/concerts/newport-jazz-festival-july-06-1969.html

Their pattern has been to post several concerts from each year's festival - once they get to them. Does this mean that we can look forward to Morgan, Blakey, etc? I sure hope so! I looked up the date in the Lee Morgan chronology that someone posted not long ago, here is the description:

Cliff Walk Manor. Side attraction at the Newport Jazz Festival, a disastrous experimental mix of jazz and rock. Dan Morgenstern described the group as listless (db 8/21/1969: p. 31). Blumenthal recalled Mabern and Roker in the group and they played “Search for the New Land” (Procrastinator notes). Charles Mingus was the other side attraction group. Jesse H. Walker’s column in NYAN has letter from attendee: “I was so very disgusted with the Festival that I went to club Cliff Manor to hear Lee Morgan and Charlie Mingus. Both groups were great. I felt like listening to some real jazz. They had a packed

house. Miles Davis was there to see them the night I went–July 5th. I really had to put the Festival down, Miles stayed over an hour.” (NYAN 7/12/1969)

"Listless" or not, I'll want to hear this if Wolfgang's puts it up. While Blumenthal only mentioned Mabern and Roker, earlier gigs that summer included saxophonist Frank Mitchell, so I wonder if he was on this gig. A live performance of Search for the New Land? Oh hell yeah! And I wonder who was in the Blakey or Mingus groups.

Please let it be released, Wolfgang - but I am afraid they might stick with their bread and butter and put out Led Zep, Zappa and the rest.

And I wonder who was in the Blakey or Mingus groups.

Michael Fitzgerald's chronology of Blakey's Jazz Messengers indicates Woody Shaw, Carlos Garnett, George Cables and Jan Arnet.

Gene Santoro's book on Mingus 'Myself when I am real' says he played in June 1969 at the Village Vanguard with Bill Hardman, Charles McPherson, Billy Robinson on tenor and Dannie Richmond and had the same group at Cliff Walk Manor.

Well then I am really hoping they post these shows some day soon.

But in the back of my mind is the thought that the tapes they have are the main stage, not from the club where they stuck the jazz shows. So the more I think of it, the more I suspect this will be another "if only" dream.

Don't want to be a thread hog, but I just listened to some of the cuts from James Brown's appearance at the 1969 Newport Jazz Festival. Nice set list with a couple of instrumentals from Brown's peerless band, all in VG++ / M- sound. Just released on WV today.

• 2 weeks later...

And I wonder who was in the Blakey or Mingus groups.

Michael Fitzgerald's chronology of Blakey's Jazz Messengers indicates Woody Shaw, Carlos Garnett, George Cables and Jan Arnet.

Gene Santoro's book on Mingus 'Myself when I am real' says he played in June 1969 at the Village Vanguard with Bill Hardman, Charles McPherson, Billy Robinson on tenor and Dannie Richmond and had the same group at Cliff Walk Manor.

Santoro isn't always a good source for this sort of information (read the section on Mingus at Monterey), but Brian Priestley lists the same personnel in his book.

Who the hell is Wolfgang anyway and why does HE have these???

I'm assuming the artists aren't getting paid????

I didn't see a smiley, so I'm proceeding under the assumption you don't know this. Bill Graham's real name was Wolfgang Grajonka. When he presented concerts, he had in the contracts the right to tape the concerts; these are the tapes.

Edited by mjzee

Oh okay.. sounds like its' legit...

thanks

Who the hell is Wolfgang anyway and why does HE have these???

I'm assuming the artists aren't getting paid????

I didn't see a smiley, so I'm proceeding under the assumption you don't know this. Bill Graham's real name was Wolfgang Grajonka. When he presented concerts, he had in the contracts the right to tape the concerts; these are the tapes.

• 1 month later...

Some excellent blues releases in the past week or so:

Big Mama Thornton at the 1969 Newport Folk Festival (with Pinetop Perkins)

And just out today, they've delved into the 1972 Newport in NY tapes:

Lou Rawls

Sounds very good, and possibly Eric Gale is on guitar according to the notes (he played with Roberta Flack in the previous set). But best of all Lou is still deep into the blues that he recorded in the previous decade, with "Everyday I Have The Blues," one of his proto-rap tunes into "World of Trouble" (pretty sure one of his Capitol records had the same transition), "God Bless The Child" and "Stormy Monday".

Dan - Thanks for the heads up on that Ray Charles! I haven't heard it yet, but with that vintage and set list, is has to be absolute dynamite.

My preferences for Lou Rawls are a bit different than yours. I like him on the blues, but LOVE him the those classic love ballads: Love is a Hurtin' Thing, Your Good Thing is About to End, You're Gonna Miss My Loving, etc.

Edited by John L

Dan - Thanks for the heads up on that Ray Charles! I haven't heard it yet, but with that vintage and set list, is has to be absolute dynamite.

My preferences for Lou Rawls are a bit different than yours. I like him on the blues, but LOVE him the those classic love ballads: Love is a Hurtin' Thing, Your Good Thing is About to End, You're Gonna Miss My Loving, etc.

Your welcome John, but I can't in good conscience say "right back at ya" for putting "You're Gonna Miss My Loving" in my head. Ugh. :ph34r:

Download sale of a Mahavishnu gig for Thursday.

Where do you see that on the site? Can you please post a link?

Linky dink.