What's the Deal with Elton and Rod?

Alexander

I admit it. I'm a fan of both Elton John and Rod Stewart's '70s work. I own all of Elton's records from "Empty Sky" though "Rock of the Westies," as well as a greatest hits collection covering the late '70s and early '80s and his last three albums (something of a return to form in which he collaborates with Bernie Taupin). I have both of Rod's albums with Jeff Beck, all of his work with Faces and two of his '70s solo albums ("Every Picture Tells A Story" and "Never A Dull Moment"). Both of these artists were AMAZINGLY popular in the '70s and deservedly so. Their albums are fantastic (my favorite Elton albums are "Madman Across the Water," "Tumbleweed Connection" and "Honky Chateau"). Nowadays, the general consensus is that both of them suck. And I don't dispute that, to a point (as I said, Elton has returned to form on his last three albums). I have no interest in Stewart's hackwork from the late-'70s to the present (including his god-awful "standards" albums). Elton became admittedly slight during the '80s (although "Empty Garden" ranks among his best work) and his work in the '90s was painfully bad (those horrible "Lion King" songs!). The thing that bugs me, however, is that neither of these men get the respect they deserve for when they *were* good! The Elton John/Bernie Taupin collaboration is among the best pop songwriting since the break-up of the Beatles (in fact Elton FAR outclassed Paul McCartney's solo work in the '70s). And Rod was a powerhouse in the late '60s and early '70s. Those Faces albums are amazing. As far as I can tell, the thing that led to Rod's downfall was the ending of HIS partnership with Ron Wood (who is a fantastic guitarist, and it's a damn shame that he's stood in Keith Richards' shadow all these years). Once he starting making music without Woodsie, it all went to hell.

It seems to me that both Elton and Rod are analagous to Stevie Wonder (who also had a brilliant career in the '60s and '70s, followed by a bottoming-out in the '80s). Remember how Jack Black (in "High Fidelity") mocks a man for wanting to buy "I Just Called To Say I Love You." Yet people recognize how brilliant Stevie was once-upon-a-time and he is tremendously respected. I would argue that the best of Elton John and Rod Stewart's work in the '70s was every bit the equal of Stevie's best work. So why don't Elton and Rod get the same respect?

Any thoughts? I'm curious to hear what other people think (especially those who don't share my interest in these performers).

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit it. I'm a fan of both Elton John and Rod Stewart's '70s work. I own all of Elton's records from "Empty Their albums are fantastic (my favorite Elton albums are "Madman Across the Water," "Tumbleweed Connection" and "Honky Chateau").

Tumbleweed Connection is a great album, and Madman is pretty good as well. I've always thought Yellow Brick Road was overblown ("This Song Has No Title" and "Grey Seal" are pretty awesome, though) and judging by what I've heard on compilations from the mid 70s onward his music descended into the toilet in a hurry.

He had a very nice gospel touch to his piano playing.

I've never liked Rod Stewart's voice. My parents love him, though.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Great music, is great music, no matter who does it. Stewart was a major artist in his prime, with that unforgettable voice, his solo work, and with the Faces, major props from me. Just seems to have lost his way as an artist, and I'm afraid the glory is long gone. I went on a major Elton John SACD binge about a year ago and bought all of EJ's SACDs. Fantastic stuff, pop music doesn't get that good that often. I guess there's a "coolness" factor at work since both aren't considered "cool" in anyway, shape, or form now -- which is a shame because a lot of wonderful music is getting overlooked.

I admit it. I'm a fan of both Elton John and Rod Stewart's '70s work. I own all of Elton's records from "Empty Their albums are fantastic (my favorite Elton albums are "Madman Across the Water," "Tumbleweed Connection" and "Honky Chateau").

Tumbleweed Connection is a great album, and Madman is pretty good as well. I've always thought Yellow Brick Road was overblown ("This Song Has No Title" and "Grey Seal" are pretty awesome, though) and judging by what I've heard on compilations from the mid 70s onward his music descended into the toilet in a hurry.

He had a very nice gospel touch to his piano playing.

I've never liked Rod Stewart's voice. My parents love him, though.

Guy

I agree completely about "Yellow Brick Road." There was a great single album in there, but a little too much chaff.

Each classic Elton John album has some really great songs that never made it onto the radio. One of my favorites is "I Think I'm Going To Kill Myself" on "Honky Chateau." It's hard to believe that the guy who sang that could later sing "Circle of Life!"

Rod's version of "That's Alright" on "Every Picture..." is incredible, especially when it morphs into "Amazing Grace" (accompanied by Ron Wood's slide guitar). It's a great "Saturday Night/Sunday Morning" performance. He really had something then. Pity he lost it in such a great hurry.

Edited by Alexander

I lost interest in "Rock" for quite a while after the Beatles broke up, which was, concidentally, about the time that I discovered jazz. EJ's songs just seem too...labored for me in terms of the ratio between what they went through and what they delivered. Felt that way then, felt that way now, although I've come to appreciate his craftsmanship. Plus, I never cared for his singing. Just a little too many layers of veneer for me, never really seems to have a "core", which is really how his total vibe hits me. But again, I respect that many feel other wise. He's just never done it for me.

Rod's never been a problem, though. He is who is is and he does what he does. Some of it I dig, some of it I don't. And none of it's really been ""essential" to me. When it's good, it's fun, and then it's over. Thank you.

Now Stevie, that's a whole 'nother deal. The songs always delivered effortlessly and fully striaght out the gate, no matter how involved they got. Same w/his singing. Always seemed like the craft was in service of the music, instead of the opposite, which is how Elton's always hit me.

It was weird being so thoroughly alienated from the pop/rock music of my high school years. Post-Beatles rock just seemed like so much dreck, noise, fluff, convoluted simplicity acting like complexity, and/or fal-out empty posturing. Fortunately, by the time I got to be a senior, the tide had begun to turn, and Stevie, Steely Dan, EWF, and other stuff that I dug had begun to be popular, and I didn't feel like such a total loner. But even now, I jsut can't get moved by too much of that early-70s stuff that tried to fill the void left by The Beatles. It seemed like a step backwards then, and it still does now. But it certainly sold a lot of product, and it still has its fans. I'm just not among them.

my favorite Elton albums are "Madman Across the Water

THIS is the ultimate Elton John album, IMO. C'mon, Tiny Dancer, Levon, Indian Sunset? Those three alone are absolutely priceless!

I've always thought Yellow Brick Road was overblown ("This Song Has No Title" and "Grey Seal" are pretty awesome, though)

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding?

All The Girls Love Alice?

C'mon.

From 1969 to about 1977, Elton was a pop god; almost everything he did was gold. Since then, he's been very erratic and often downright bad. Blame it on a host of personal and professonal problems, blame it on growing old, or simply burning too brightly and then burning out. It happens to most artists (jazz ones too!).

Rod's in a similar situation. Part of it's just the fact that most pop music artists have relatively short career peaks even if they end up having long careers. It's often the case with novelists, movie stars, painters, etc. as well. Their brilliance is short-lived, their audience moves on, their time in the limelight relatively brief. Even though I haven't heard and/or liked much of Rod's recent work (but my dad loves it!), I have to applaud him for resurecting his career and finding a new audience. Shit, the guy can't keep singing Maggie Mae the rest of his life; the dude's all grown up and old now. Maybe he did it for commercial reasons, maybe he just digs the standards - doesn't mater. Doesn't matter if I/we despise it either. At least he's doing what he likes to do, and he's found an audience for it. Good for him.

I never liked any of that pop/rock stuff. I was surprised that Stevie was as popular with the pop/rock fans as he was - I suspect it wasn't so much that they thought he was great but that they were so surprised that something like that (and Marvin Gaye) was coming out of Motown, which was a dirty word to that group of people.

MG

I've always thought Yellow Brick Road was overblown ("This Song Has No Title" and "Grey Seal" are pretty awesome, though)

Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding?

All The Girls Love Alice?

C'mon.

I think we've now listed almost all the good songs on the album!

Guy

I'm probably way out in left field on this, but I truly do regard Roy Rodger as an overlooked classic. Yeah, I know, that is just plain weird. :rfr

Is there a really good Elton comp with a focus on his earlier stuff? I could possibly get into that.

I remember liking a few of his albums (mix-tapes, possibly), when I was back in college -- that a girlfriend of mine at the time had. I have no idea what albums they were, or which tunes came from where. I do remember not being all that familiar with all the songs, so it wasn't just his "hits". The "11-17-70" thing kind of rings a bell too.

Otherwise just get Greatest Hits vol. 1. It goes downhill from there.

Greatest Hits 2 has some great stuff as well. That's where you'll find "Levon," "Tiny Dancer," Elton's versions of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Pinball Wizard," "Island Girl," "I Feel Like A Bullet From The Gun Of Robert Ford," and "Philadelphia Freedom."

Or you could just get the albums from that era. They really are great.

Otherwise just get Greatest Hits vol. 1. It goes downhill from there.

Greatest Hits 2 has some great stuff as well. That's where you'll find "Levon," "Tiny Dancer," Elton's versions of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Pinball Wizard," "Island Girl," "I Feel Like A Bullet From The Gun Of Robert Ford," and "Philadelphia Freedom."

Or you could just get the albums from that era. They really are great.

"Hold me close now Tony Danza"

danza.jpg